Ubuntu/LinuxMint: Add apturl to Preferences/Applications tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Haz3lw0lf

Ubuntu/LinuxMint: Add apturl to Preferences/Applications tab

Unread post by Haz3lw0lf » 2017-04-23, 13:42

It only makes sense to do so, at least for those Linux distributions that use apt-get to download and install applications.

Just about all the LinuxMint software forums install via apt: links. Many older (IE: active for a year or more) Ubuntu sites do so also.

Yet the apt: protocol is still not an option in the Applications tab/sub-menu of Pale Moon Preferences for these distributions. And we should have it in the installs provided on the repository, not as a "build-from-scratch only" option.

Related: I have never seen a "Choose other application" option, even when the window is right-clicked, in the aforenamed tab. I should add that a button capable of doing so be permanently added to the PaleMoon prefs in all builds from the next full version forward.

HW

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Ubuntu/LinuxMint: Add apturl to Preferences/Applications tab

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-04-23, 18:56

Haz3lw0lf wrote:Related: I have never seen a "Choose other application" option, even when the window is right-clicked, in the aforenamed tab. I should add that a button capable of doing so be permanently added to the PaleMoon prefs in all builds from the next full version forward.
Generalizing the request... apply it not just for for apturls, and not just for the Pale Moon linux version. Mimetype handling seems to be controlled by the "mimeTypes.rdf" file in the profile directory, which is composed of ugly XML. I did try manually editing it once, to add a filetype. Let's just say that it was a good thing I had backed up the file before editing it. Is there such an animal as an XML editor that could work on mimeTypes.rdf?

On another tangent, is it possible to key on filename extension, rather than the declared mimetype? Not every webmaster gets every mimetype declaration right.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way