Best site for PM updates for Linux

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

amicus
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Vermont

Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby amicus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:37 pm

The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

User avatar
troypulk
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Washington State, USA

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby troypulk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm

SolydX EE x64

Pale Moon 27.6.2 x64

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2941
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby Night Wing » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Since I don't use the Installer, I prefer the 64 bit tarball and I get it from the page below..

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce 64-Bit (Default OS) with 64-Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32-Bit windows Pale Moon

User avatar
Nigaikaze
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby Nigaikaze » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm

There's also this thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6549

... that Travis updates with an announcement whenever a new PM for Linux version has been released.

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby gracious1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 pm

amicus wrote:The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.


Do you know what flavor of Linux do you use? e.g. Ubuntu, Trisquel, Mint, Debian, etc.
There are some builds specifically for some of these.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

amicus
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby amicus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 pm

gracious1 wrote:
amicus wrote:The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.


Do you know what flavor of Linux do you use? e.g. Ubuntu, Trisquel, Mint, Debian, etc.
There are some builds specifically for some of these.
Ubuntu

I use Ubuntu

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby gracious1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm

amicus wrote:... I'm not that tech savvy. Any help would be appreciated.
amicus wrote:I use Ubuntu


That is what I use! So you probably want to use Steve Pusser's wonderful repository for updates using apt-get.

You may need to remove the version you are using now.

Then go to Steve Pusser's repository and then select "Ubuntu".

Find the version number you are using (versions 14.04, 16.04, 16.10, and 17.04 are supported). That's the code you will need. There are two blocks of code, as you see, for each version: one starts with sudo -sh, and one starts with wget. If you are running a different version, then stop reading and post the version you are using to get additional help.

Okay, open a Terminal window and run

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Now you have a root shell.

Now copy and paste the first block of code into your root shell. (You can leave out the "sudo" part, but if you leave it in, it won't hurt anything.)

Now copy and paste the second block of code, the one starting with "wget", into your root shell.

Now terminate your root shell by entering

Code: Select all

exit
at the prompt. Or you can simply close the window. Either way, do not omit this step.

And now when it is time to upgrade Pale Moon, you can do so by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
in a Terminal window.

If a new version of Pale Moon is available from Steve's repository, it will then upgrade for you.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby gracious1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

amicus wrote:I use Ubuntu


Did my previous post about using apt-get and the repository help you?
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

amicus
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby amicus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm

gracious1 wrote:
amicus wrote:I use Ubuntu


Did my previous post about using apt-get and the repository help you?


First I must apologize for not being gracious enough to reply to your well researched post on my behalf. Having said so, I realized that I was completely out of my depth. It boggles my mind that doing an update would entail so many procedures. That could be that I don't fully understand PM because when I was using FF, one just clicked on update and it was done.

Now I do have an IT guy that helps me but I wanted to see if I could do an update myself. I now realize that's not the case, so he did it for me. Bottom line, PM is so much better than FF, that it's worth keeping and I would never switch back to FF which is a memory hog.

Thanks again Gracious.

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby stevepusser » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:41 pm

I wouldn't mind if anyone also wanted to set up an Ubuntu PPA with the packages; that way the "apt-add-repository" command could simplify things for Ubuntu and derivatives.

The webupd8 guy never responded to my email...the Ubuntu Handbook guy also runs a PPA, perhap he wouldn't mind adding PM and having something to blog about!

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby gracious1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 pm

amicus wrote:First I must apologize for not being gracious enough to reply to your well researched post on my behalf. Having said so, I realized that I was completely out of my depth. It boggles my mind that doing an update would entail so many procedures. That could be that I don't fully understand PM because when I was using FF, one just clicked on update and it was done.

Now I do have an IT guy that helps me but I wanted to see if I could do an update myself. I now realize that's not the case, so he did it for me. Bottom line, PM is so much better than FF, that it's worth keeping and I would never switch back to FF which is a memory hog.

Thanks again Gracious.


You're welcome. I was afraid maybe you were overwhelmed. It takes a lot of writing to explain, but it's actually really simple to execute. If I could have sat down and showed you, you would have had no problem.

I want to point out, however, that you issue the series of commands only the first time. Then after that, you can let Software Updater do it automatically. Click on Software Updater in your Launcher and make sure it is set to notify you automatically.

Cheers!
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

Falna
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby Falna » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the helpful tip - useful being able to stay updated this way, which is now set up and working on one of my machines.

Since I'm also relatively new to Linux, I'm wondering why there is a need for Steve to host multiple repositories, rather than just one? I've not checked, but I'm guessing that the Pale Moon files are identical - so I guess this has more to do with the way Linux updates work? Though presumably the constraints are not rigorous, or his xUbuntu 16.04 repository would be incompatible with my Linux Lite installation (a derivative of Ubuntu LTS 16.04). I'd be interested in a proper explanation though...

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby stevepusser » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Binary packages built from source on different versions of distributions are not necessarily going to be compatible with other releases of the same distro, (though often an older version can run on a newer release, such as the Jessie build of PM runs just fine on Stretch) The reasons are kind of technical--basically, after the binaries are built, the packaging process queries them for what runtime shared libraries they need and automatically adds those to the dependencies. PM builds most of those libraries internally instead of using th system ones, so avoids the problem of building against different versions of those, but that's not true for most packages. Packages may end up depending on a newer version of libc6 if built on a newer distro release, for example, but what they will actually turn out to need is impossible for me to predict.

The packages for anything that was built against the same set of libraries is pretty much guaranteed to be compatible with any other distro that uses the same set of libraries. Your version of Linux Lite is still Ubuntu 16.04 down under the hood, as is a Linux Mint that is based on 16.04, so the Ubuntu 16.04 packages are going to be compatible.

Anyway, with the "one size fits all" version of the source I have now, I don't have to worry much as long as the distro has some form of gcc-4.X (>= 4.7). Adding or removing a distrelease in the OBS is just a matter of clicking a button--that's all I had to do to add Ubuntu 17.04 when it became available. I also have the same sort of setup for the Fossa Mail I've added to the repo.

I've never managed a PPA, so don't know if it involves any more work for different versions in that system.

Falna
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby Falna » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation Steve, that's certainly helped me understand what's going on.

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Postby gracious1 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:58 am

FYI, I made a tutorial that is more straightforward than what I wrote here regarding installation on Ubuntu.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.


Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests