Best site for PM updates for Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
amicus

Best site for PM updates for Linux

Unread post by amicus » 2017-04-17, 18:37

The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Best site for PM updates for Linux

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-04-17, 20:24

Since I don't use the Installer, I prefer the 64 bit tarball and I get it from the page below..

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-04-17, 20:49

There's also this thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6549

... that Travis updates with an announcement whenever a new PM for Linux version has been released.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-17, 23:36

amicus wrote:The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you know what flavor of Linux do you use? e.g. Ubuntu, Trisquel, Mint, Debian, etc.
There are some builds specifically for some of these.
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

amicus

Unread post by amicus » 2017-04-19, 12:06

gracious1 wrote:
amicus wrote:The reason I ask is because I'm not that tech savy. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you know what flavor of Linux do you use? e.g. Ubuntu, Trisquel, Mint, Debian, etc.
There are some builds specifically for some of these.
Ubuntu

I use Ubuntu

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-19, 22:05

amicus wrote:... I'm not that tech savvy. Any help would be appreciated.
amicus wrote:I use Ubuntu
That is what I use! So you probably want to use Steve Pusser's wonderful repository for updates using apt-get.

You may need to remove the version you are using now.

Then go to Steve Pusser's repository and then select "Ubuntu".

Find the version number you are using (versions 14.04, 16.04, 16.10, and 17.04 are supported). That's the code you will need. There are two blocks of code, as you see, for each version: one starts with sudo -sh, and one starts with wget. If you are running a different version, then stop reading and post the version you are using to get additional help.

Okay, open a Terminal window and run

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Now you have a root shell.

Now copy and paste the first block of code into your root shell. (You can leave out the "sudo" part, but if you leave it in, it won't hurt anything.)

Now copy and paste the second block of code, the one starting with "wget", into your root shell.

Now terminate your root shell by entering

exit
at the prompt. Or you can simply close the window. Either way, do not omit this step.

And now when it is time to upgrade Pale Moon, you can do so by running

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
in a Terminal window.

If a new version of Pale Moon is available from Steve's repository, it will then upgrade for you.
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-26, 20:30

Did my previous post about using apt-get and the repository help you?

amicus

Unread post by amicus » 2017-04-27, 12:38

gracious1 wrote:
Did my previous post about using apt-get and the repository help you?
First I must apologize for not being gracious enough to reply to your well researched post on my behalf. Having said so, I realized that I was completely out of my depth. It boggles my mind that doing an update would entail so many procedures. That could be that I don't fully understand PM because when I was using FF, one just clicked on update and it was done.

Now I do have an IT guy that helps me but I wanted to see if I could do an update myself. I now realize that's not the case, so he did it for me. Bottom line, PM is so much better than FF, that it's worth keeping and I would never switch back to FF which is a memory hog.

Thanks again Gracious.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-04-27, 18:41

I wouldn't mind if anyone also wanted to set up an Ubuntu PPA with the packages; that way the "apt-add-repository" command could simplify things for Ubuntu and derivatives.

The webupd8 guy never responded to my email...the Ubuntu Handbook guy also runs a PPA, perhap he wouldn't mind adding PM and having something to blog about!

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-27, 19:29

amicus wrote:First I must apologize for not being gracious enough to reply to your well researched post on my behalf. Having said so, I realized that I was completely out of my depth. It boggles my mind that doing an update would entail so many procedures. That could be that I don't fully understand PM because when I was using FF, one just clicked on update and it was done.

Now I do have an IT guy that helps me but I wanted to see if I could do an update myself. I now realize that's not the case, so he did it for me. Bottom line, PM is so much better than FF, that it's worth keeping and I would never switch back to FF which is a memory hog.

Thanks again Gracious.
You're welcome. I was afraid maybe you were overwhelmed. It takes a lot of writing to explain, but it's actually really simple to execute. If I could have sat down and showed you, you would have had no problem.

I want to point out, however, that you issue the series of commands only the first time. Then after that, you can let Software Updater do it automatically. Click on Software Updater in your Launcher and make sure it is set to notify you automatically.

Cheers!

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-04-28, 12:53

Thanks for the helpful tip - useful being able to stay updated this way, which is now set up and working on one of my machines.

Since I'm also relatively new to Linux, I'm wondering why there is a need for Steve to host multiple repositories, rather than just one? I've not checked, but I'm guessing that the Pale Moon files are identical - so I guess this has more to do with the way Linux updates work? Though presumably the constraints are not rigorous, or his xUbuntu 16.04 repository would be incompatible with my Linux Lite installation (a derivative of Ubuntu LTS 16.04). I'd be interested in a proper explanation though...

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-04-28, 21:02

Binary packages built from source on different versions of distributions are not necessarily going to be compatible with other releases of the same distro, (though often an older version can run on a newer release, such as the Jessie build of PM runs just fine on Stretch) The reasons are kind of technical--basically, after the binaries are built, the packaging process queries them for what runtime shared libraries they need and automatically adds those to the dependencies. PM builds most of those libraries internally instead of using th system ones, so avoids the problem of building against different versions of those, but that's not true for most packages. Packages may end up depending on a newer version of libc6 if built on a newer distro release, for example, but what they will actually turn out to need is impossible for me to predict.

The packages for anything that was built against the same set of libraries is pretty much guaranteed to be compatible with any other distro that uses the same set of libraries. Your version of Linux Lite is still Ubuntu 16.04 down under the hood, as is a Linux Mint that is based on 16.04, so the Ubuntu 16.04 packages are going to be compatible.

Anyway, with the "one size fits all" version of the source I have now, I don't have to worry much as long as the distro has some form of gcc-4.X (>= 4.7). Adding or removing a distrelease in the OBS is just a matter of clicking a button--that's all I had to do to add Ubuntu 17.04 when it became available. I also have the same sort of setup for the Fossa Mail I've added to the repo.

I've never managed a PPA, so don't know if it involves any more work for different versions in that system.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-05-02, 13:00

Thanks for the explanation Steve, that's certainly helped me understand what's going on.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-03, 05:58

FYI, I made a tutorial that is more straightforward than what I wrote here regarding installation on Ubuntu.