Streaming/Tennis TV issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
qwetrydavid

Streaming/Tennis TV issues

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-24, 23:27

I'm having issues streaming with tennistv.com. With the site's default flash player streaming is often choppy and stuttery. Most of the time it's ok, but it chops up enough that it's not watchable. The bit rate also often fluctuates, and doesn't lock into indicating HD. Replays seem to be fine, but live has problems. If I disable flash and use the site's html5 'fallback player' streaming quality is great, but on full screen the bottom controls and mouse cursor don't disappear. Well, sometimes the bottom controls disappear, but even when it does the mouse cursor doesn't. And it's not the supported player, and many features on the regular player aren't available, like the handy 10 second rewind. I'll bitch to the Tennis TV service to improve their html5 player, but hoping there's a PM solution.

I was using Chromium for a while for Tennis TV, but with Chromium I encountered a worse problem: my os would completely freeze. Apparently Linux + 64 bit system + Chromium + hardware acceleration = freezing is a known issue. However with hardware acceleration disabled on Chromium the stream is choppy and unwatchable, as it is with the flash player on PM. Is that perhapss the issue on PM? Does hardware acceleration not actually work? Of course I'd like to not use Chromium at all.

As non-subsribers you can check out this to test, but as I mentioned only live streaming with the default flash player is significantly choppy... https://www.tennistv.com/videos/rio-201 ... highlights

I can also report similar issues with Al Jazeera live streaming: live streaming is not available on PM with html5, and with flash the mouse cursor doesn't disappear in full screen, and worse the stream often skips a split second. As it's not live sport it doesn't quite make it unwatchable, but it's an issue. With Chromium live streaming is fine. Past Al Jazeera programmes are perfect on PM with html5, but still with flash the mouse cursor doesn't disappear in full screen. Does this earlier post suggest it's an issue with the Al Jazeera player? viewtopic.php?t=13351

Using Mint 17.3.

Don't want to join just to complain so will add: I've been using and loving Pale Moon for 3 years (since Firefox Australis), and... :wave: :-D :thumbup: :clap: :crazy:

Thanks
Last edited by qwetrydavid on 2017-02-25, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Streaming/Tennis TV issues

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-25, 00:15

OK....
PM version = ?
PM installed via ?
Is ffmpeg installed?

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-25, 01:22

stevepusser wrote:OK....
PM version = ?
PM installed via ?
Is ffmpeg installed?
27.1.1, installed with PM installer. I have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, but I guess that doesn't mean I have ffmpeg. It's not in the repos. What repo or ppa should I use to add it?

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-25, 01:54

Installed ffmpeg, with this ppa... https://launchpad.net/~kirillshkrogalev ... fmpeg-next. Now testing the video...

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-25, 02:03

Nope, same videos issues persist. Jittery stream with the main player, good quality but mouse cursor doesn't disappear in full screen with the html5 player.

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-25, 23:11

Tested the site's html5 player with Chromium, and the mouse didn't disappear in full screen, so it's not a PM issue and sorry to bring it up. The issue remains: on the site's main, fully featured flash player video is often choppy, with or without hardware acceleration enabled. I'll just stick with the html5 player and accept the mouse cursor in the corner in full screen for now.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-02-26, 04:32

For me it appears to work fine in Fire Fox and Chromium but not in Pale Moon, even though flash is disabled It insists that I use flash because it tells me flash is not supported. Gstreamer doesn't matter on or off.

It's only in Pale Moon but I'm not sure why.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-26, 06:34

troypulk wrote:Gstreamer doesn't matter on or off.
Pale Moon 27.1 doesn't use GStreamer by default anymore. Please ensure that FFmpeg is installed.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-02-26, 16:35

trava90 wrote:
Pale Moon 27.1 doesn't use GStreamer by default anymore. Please ensure that FFmpeg is installed.
I know I was just doing that to trouble shoot the issue.

My ffmpeg is 3.2.4-1, does it matter how new or old it is?

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-27, 00:19

troypulk wrote:For me it appears to work fine in Fire Fox and Chromium but not in Pale Moon, even though flash is disabled It insists that I use flash because it tells me flash is not supported. Gstreamer doesn't matter on or off.

It's only in Pale Moon but I'm not sure why.
With flash disabled you should get the option to "launch the fallback player"

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-02-27, 00:20

troypulk wrote:
trava90 wrote:
I know I was just doing that to trouble shoot the issue.

My ffmpeg is 3.2.4-1, does it matter how new or old it is?
Mine is 2.4.3-1.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-27, 19:24

qwetrydavid wrote:Installed ffmpeg, with this ppa... https://launchpad.net/~kirillshkrogalev ... fmpeg-next...
qwetrydavid wrote:Mine is 2.4.3-1....
The ppa you have used has not been updated with a newer ffmpeg since November 2014.

A much more reliable ppa is ppa:djcj/hybrid which has ffmpeg 7:3.2.4-2 and was last updated 8 days ago see here
I use this ppa on both my Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 boxes and can be trusted!

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-03-01, 05:34

lightning slinger wrote:
qwetrydavid wrote:Installed ffmpeg, with this ppa... https://launchpad.net/~kirillshkrogalev ... fmpeg-next...
qwetrydavid wrote:Mine is 2.4.3-1....
The ppa you have used has not been updated with a newer ffmpeg since November 2014.

A much more reliable ppa is ppa:djcj/hybrid which has ffmpeg 7:3.2.4-2 and was last updated 8 days ago see here
I use this ppa on both my Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 boxes and can be trusted!
I now have 3.2.2. And problem solved! No choppiness, nice and smooth motion.

I didn't use the ppa you suggested but the Ubuntu Multimedia for Trusty ppa posted on FFmpeg's site... https://ffmpeg.org/download.html.

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-03-01, 16:07

No, ignore the declaration in my previous message, problem not solved. I think when I updated ffmpeg I tested with a stream broadcasted at a lower bit rate. On almost all streams I'm still getting choppiness, dragging, slow motion, however I should call it, at least every minute for a good 10 or 15 seconds. Unwatchable. The site's fallback html5 player that is good quality is right now not available. I have to report that I'll be using Chromium to watch today's action (which will likely freeze my system every few hours). :thumbdown:

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-03-01, 16:38

Would appreciate it if someone could test this. Watch a highlight clip with PM (with the regular flash player), then watch the same clip with Chromium or, disabling flash, in PM with the fallback html5 player (if it's available). The difference should be pretty significant. Live streaming seems to be even worse. I do now have a recent version of ffmpeg.

https://www.tennistv.com/videos/dubai-2 ... highlights

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-03-01, 16:58

I've been trying to figure this out.

Can you play this video: http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_e ... /test.html

Its a html test video.

In firefox the tennis video defaults to flash, I got it to start in PM but then pale moon freezes.

For me in pale moon the html player just buffers and never starts.

Also the tennis html player is a diva player 2.3.4.170118.1002 and I think it uses java with this as well HLS.js v0.6.2-6

So as fare as I can tell Pale Moon has a hard time with this web pages html player and I'll tried different setups as well.

Even though flash is updated in my PM flash does not work either.

So basically PM and this tennis web page do not work together, until a future update comes out that might fix this I would recommend using FF.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-03-01, 22:54

Have you tried disabling MSE?

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-03-02, 02:03

Yes, I have done it with MSE on and off. Flash on and off.

Trava90 have you tried it?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-03-02, 03:39

I have no trouble with that test clip http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_e ... /test.html with the MX 16 version, which is going to be the the same as the Jessie version in the OBS repository. I am running the latest ffmpeg 3.2.4 release, which is also available for you in jessie-backports--Jessie's libav is getting dated by now. Did you upgrade to 3.2.4 in the same way?

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-03-02, 06:39

troypulk wrote:I've been trying to figure this out.

Can you play this video: http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_e ... /test.html

Its a html test video.

In firefox the tennis video defaults to flash, I got it to start in PM but then pale moon freezes.

For me in pale moon the html player just buffers and never starts.

Also the tennis html player is a diva player 2.3.4.170118.1002 and I think it uses java with this as well HLS.js v0.6.2-6

So as fare as I can tell Pale Moon has a hard time with this web pages html player and I'll tried different setups as well.

Even though flash is updated in my PM flash does not work either.

So basically PM and this tennis web page do not work together, until a future update comes out that might fix this I would recommend using FF.
No problem playing that html5 test. I haven't encountered problems with html5 video quality. Yes the tennis site's Diva html5 player is iffy, sometimes gives an error and doesn't load, sometimes takes a while to buffer. But when it plays it is fine. The video quality problem is only with the site's flash player with PM. When I settled on Pale Moon I vowed I would never use Firefox again, I hate Chromium less than Firefox, so really don't want to install Firefox :)
Last edited by qwetrydavid on 2017-03-02, 07:54, edited 4 times in total.