Site security certificate times out. Refuses to load. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Uppity
Moon lover
Moon lover

Site security certificate times out. Refuses to load.

Unread post by Uppity » 2017-02-24, 01:03

Edit: Tested on Firefox. Got a security page that I recognized, so I accepted the risk and the site loaded...

1. Is this a site specific issue or can a browser setting be changed to over ride the error message?

2. How can I force the site to load, regardless of the security certificate?

3. This is a public wifi at McDonald's. They have been slowly killing their internet by blocking weather sites, ebay - but not Amazon, and anybody in the local market that competes with Walmart.

There is some inconsistencies and not all franchisee's are doing this.

This is the error message:
forums.linuxmint.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 02/23/2017 05:59 PM. The current time is 02/23/2017 06:33 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Win 10 in a severely reduced partition. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 15Z, i3, 6 GB RAM. Win 8 is gone. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Terryphi

Re: Site security certificate times out. Refuses to load.

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-24, 06:55

I tested forums.linuxmint.com and certificate is valid and accepted. I suggest you try again.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-02-24, 08:30

Uppity wrote:Edit: Tested on Firefox. Got a security page that I recognized, so I accepted the risk and the site loaded...

1. Is this a site specific issue or can a browser setting be changed to over ride the error message?

2. How can I force the site to load, regardless of the security certificate?

3. This is a public wifi at McDonald's. They have been slowly killing their internet by blocking weather sites, ebay - but not Amazon, and anybody in the local market that competes with Walmart.
Can you try accessing the same websites via another connection, i.e. not at this McDonald's? This sounds suspiciously like MITM. One thing to look for... does this "security problem" show up only for "http" webpages, and not for "https" webpages?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Uppity
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Uppity » 2017-02-25, 00:54

Hi, Walter Dnes.

As a traveller, I'm limited in access locations, for the moment.

I run TOP from time to time, but it never occurred to me the there might be a MITM. I suspect you are right.

There was no issue on other sites and the issue cleared up after 45 minutes to 1 hour, which was also after I tested the site with Firefox.

I'm a frequent visitor to the site and this was a first.
And since it did clear up in a relatively short time, lends credence to the MITM suspicion.

Thank you.
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Win 10 in a severely reduced partition. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Uppity
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Uppity » 2017-02-25, 00:58

Hi, Terryphi.

The forums.linuxmint.com site is fine.
The issue was on my end.

Thank you.