Trouble updating Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Trouble updating Pale Moon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-02-22, 20:22

HI,

I'm having upgrading to the new version of Pale Moon. I tried using the pmsinstaller.sh on my computer, but that isn't responding. Perhaps there is a new version of that too. I am using Xubuntu on a Lenovo T400. My current version of Pale Moon is 27.0.3 (x64). Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Trouble updating Pale Moon

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-22, 22:32

Can you provide more specifics?

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-02-23, 02:50

I have Xubuntu 16.4. Not sure what other info I can provide.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-23, 05:31

Specifically what do you mean by the pminstaller isn't responding?

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-02-23, 15:46

I have pminstaller.sh on my desktop but it will not respond when I try to upgrade. Actually, I did a system upgrade last night in a terminal and I think it upgraded Pale Moon as well. Will Pale Moon only upgrade through its own installer?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-23, 22:26

The only way a system upgrade would update PM is if a repository was in your apt software sources that contained the package, and the only one of those I know of is my OBS repo. We can check that right away in the terminal with

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy palemoon
If PM is installed with the installer script, it will not appear in the apt system that that command checks.

And for troubleshooting a shell script, the best way is to try to run it in a terminal and see if any errors come up. Try

Code: Select all

./pminstaller.sh
in the folder where that script is.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-02-24, 16:28

Thank you. Here is the reply I received. Looks to me, unless I'm mistaken, like package is present.

palemoon:
Installed: 27.1.1~repack-1
Candidate: 27.1.1~repack-1
Version table:
*** 27.1.1~repack-1 500
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_16.04 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-24, 20:14

Yes, that's the version from the OBS repository...I don't get exactly why you are trying to run the installer script, then. I add the "repack" to the version to show that I recompress the original tar.gz source tarball from github to a tar.xz format for considerable size savings.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the script is stopping if it wants to add a file and finds that the repository package has already installed it, such as the palemoon.desktop file. But now I'm just arm-waving.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-02-24, 21:46

Thanks for your help on this. I think the fact that it's now working means it's best to leave well enough alone. For some reason Pale Moon updated executing the update and upgrade through the terminal, but not through the auto "software update" furnished by Xubuntu.

Incidentally, when I do execute a periodic software update using the terminal, your name is there on some of the packages. Why is that? It says something about being connected with Opera but I don't have Opera installed on this computer. Thanks again for your help!!

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-25, 00:11

Perhaps you are confusing the openSUSE Build Service, which should be the only place you would be getting any packages with my name on them, with Opera?

This could be determined in a second or two if you just would cut and paste what you're talking about from the terminal into a code box here, instead of referring to what you saw in somewhat vague terms. ;)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-03-01, 15:35

Please understand I'm not making any accusations! It's not a problem, I was just curious. I will do that next time I update...if I can catch the package fast enough. As they install they pass by the screen fairly quickly. But I'll see if I can copy it. Thank you for your help on this!

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-03-02, 21:31

Well, doing any apt package management directly from a terminal will allow you to see what happens and not lose it. I like GUIs myself, but am not a fan of one that whisks away interesting information output before a user can copy it! I have to assume that's the homebrewed Mint updater; maybe there's a setting for it that doesn't close whatever you are seeing someplace. Our homebrewed MX Linux updater allows for that option...