Pale Moon is crash-prone for me and doesn't work on some sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
lonesomepoint

Pale Moon is crash-prone for me and doesn't work on some sites

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2017-02-07, 13:31

Hello. I like Pale Moon and want to keep it, but I hope the designers are working on making it more stable and more able to work with every website that supports Firefox. I'm finding that presently, it isn't and doesn't. It's much more crash-prone for me than Firefox, especially on Youtube. There, I can't expect Pale Moon to run without crashing for more than a few minutes if that long. And I just discovered that unlike Firefox, it doesn't support folder upload on Google Drive. I guess I will have to keep both Firefox and Pale Moon both and use Firefox for the sites that make Pale Moon crash.

(For some reason, I didn't expect them to work together, but they do work together perfectly well; having them open simultaneously poses no problem. In retrospect, I don't know why I expected one. They run the same code, don't they? At the point of divergence, wasn't Pale Moon just Firefox with an old interface?)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Pale Moon is crash-prone for me and doesn't work on some sites

Unread post by satrow » 2017-02-07, 13:52

Crash-prone? I've used an awful lot of Pale Moon builds, from alpha and SnG builds on up, since 2010 at least. Never have I seen one that came anywhere near being crash-prone, far from it.

Try creating a new, clean, Profile and test with that. Work through the recently published topics here for any specific site-related issues you come across.

If you're only concerned with Pale Moon imitating Firefox, try emulating it by changing the User Agent default (can switched on the fly): (Alt) > Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Compatibility > Firefox

Having Firefox and Pale Moon open simultaneously hasn't been an issue for a long time (if ever), they use different profiles and have diverged significantly over time.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-07, 13:55

Can you give us some more info? Like, what OS are you on? Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit PM? What other sites crash/doesn't work on PM?

One thing that jumps to mind, since you say your experiencing a lot of crashing on Youtube, is try disabling hardware acceleration.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-07, 16:04

I know that my needs are a bit different than majority users on internet ;) but with Pale Moon x64 on Win 10 x64 I have no problems, especially with Tube vids, even live streaming. Everything works just fine, from The Royal Wedding, live on YouTube, to The Royal Honeymoon, live on RedTube, both FireFox, Gecko and Native.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-02-07, 18:02

lonesomepoint wrote:Hello. I like Pale Moon and want to keep it, but I hope the designers are working on making it more stable
You shouldn't have such problems. If you post more, someone may be able to help. See:
lonesomepoint wrote:Firefox and Pale Moon... ...They run the same code, don't they? At the point of divergence, wasn't Pale Moon just Firefox with an old interface?)
No, I understand Pale Moon started with the same interface as Firefox, but with reduced and optimized code - so they've never had identical code:

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-02-07, 21:54

The latest version of palemoon is oodles more stable than the version before v27 which used to crash hourly for me if I had a lot of tabs open. v27 is a real treat.

lonesomepoint

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2017-02-10, 01:28

I will be happy to keep updating the list of my sites that crash, but the only one I've made a mental note of is Youtube, because it's crashed repeatedly.

Also, I have just noticed that the refresh button to the left of the URL bar keeps appearing as the sign of an item with a missing icon (slashed circle). When I alt-tab to another window and then alt-tab back, it's the refresh button again.
helloimustbegoing wrote:Can you give us some more info? Like, what OS are you on? Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit PM? What other sites crash/doesn't work on PM?

One thing that jumps to mind, since you say your experiencing a lot of crashing on Youtube, is try disabling hardware acceleration.
Operating system: MX Linux version 14.4 running kernel linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae. 32 bit.

Will attempt to disable hardware acceleration as soon as I figure out how.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-10, 05:01

Okay, you're on Linux. Did you download PM with the installer tool? Or did you get it from Steve Pusser's repo? If you got it from the repo, how long ago did you get it?

lonesomepoint

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2017-02-10, 13:03

Definitely a repo--I was using apt-get in a terminal.My latest installation of my distro was only a few days ago, and I would have installed Pale Moon at that time (although I started using it probably a month ago). Version 27.0.3.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-02-10, 13:43

Are you using the Oxygen gtk desktop theme? That seems to cause problems with Pale Moon for some reason. If so, try switching to another desktop theme.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

lonesomepoint

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2017-02-10, 13:56

Walter Dnes wrote:Are you using the Oxygen gtk desktop theme? That seems to cause problems with Pale Moon for some reason. If so, try switching to another desktop theme.
Um, I might be. What's the quickest way to check?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-02-10, 19:02

lonesomepoint wrote:Um, I might be. What's the quickest way to check?
That depends on the desktop (GNOME/KDE/XFCE/etc) that you're using. You'll have to check the instructions for your specific desktop environment. Which one are you using?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-10, 20:07

We also build the same versions on our own machines for the MX Linux repository--but this is the first report we've had of our MX 14 builds being crash prone. If the OP just used "apt-get", that would point to it being the version in the MX repository. If it's a really old machine, could SSE2 support come into the equation?

Since we just added 27.1.0 to the test repository for MX 14 and 15, do you think you could update to that version and try it out? It uses a different video playback framework.

Also, if it's still crashing, you could try starting "palemoon" in a terminal and seeing how if any error messages appear when it blows up. That's how we diagnosed the oxygen-gtk problem way back when--and the MX repo has an patched version of that theme which solves the crashing issue, so that can probably be ruled out.

The MX 14 compatible deb package can also be directly downloaded from the repo and installed with gdebi by clicking on the file once downloaded: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... /palemoon/

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-11, 19:45

As a data point, I have our MX 14 repo build of the 32-bit PM 27.1.0 running in an MX 14 virtual machine and have been watching the first twenty minutes of this documentary with no problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fAZ6K-WlUk

I notice that Youtube is now inserting commercial breaks into longer videos like this--are you using any kind of ad blocker that possibly could grind playback to a halt if a commercial comes up and it's blocked? That's just a wild guess.