PM selects all text in adress bar and in search bar while i just changing input language

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jdeimeks

PM selects all text in adress bar and in search bar while i just changing input language

Unread post by jdeimeks » 2017-01-31, 08:59

PM v27, git-version:27.2.0a1 (64-bit) (2017-01-30), Arch Linux
How can i disable "select all" behavior after changing input language in the adress/search bar.
Multilingual search from an adress bar is very painfull because of this.
Need to press an extra Arrow/End button every time after changing input language in order not to delete what was already typed. :?

jdeimeks

Re: PM selects all text in adress bar and in search bar while i just changing input language

Unread post by jdeimeks » 2017-01-31, 17:43

Toggling browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll and browser.urlbar.doubleClickSelectsAll solved the issue for the url bar.
But not for search bar, changing input language there selects all text.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM selects all text in adress bar and in search bar while i just changing input language

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-31, 18:31

Changing input language or search engine to continue your search with added terms using a different input language is a corner case that falls outside of scope for the search bar.

You'll just have to deal with it, because the most common case where selection of search terms is desired takes priority.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jdeimeks

Unread post by jdeimeks » 2017-01-31, 21:59

Think that i wasn't clear enough about this.
Will try tomorrow. :)

And btw switching between search engines selects all text in search bar but don't copy it into selection buffer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-31, 22:56

jdeimeks wrote:And btw switching between search engines selects all text in search bar but don't copy it into selection buffer.
I would say that it is then directly related to your system software for language input. In which case we can't do anything about it, at all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kunagi7

Unread post by Kunagi7 » 2017-02-07, 18:14

Same happens to me when I change the language on i3, but in sway it doesn't happen (I use my own switcher).
After pocking a while it's because of the language switching ibus floating window which appears every time I change the language. It makes the window manager lose the focus on Pale Moon...

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-02-08, 00:48

I've found that under Xfce all it takes is to alt-tab to another window and back to Pale Moon for all the text to be selected. I only started seeing this once I upgraded to PM27. PM26 didn't change the selection at all. I've wiped out a couple half-typed searches because of the change, but I'm starting to get used to pressing the right arrow key before continuing to type! ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-02-08, 01:11

I can reproduce this behavior in Pale Moon 27 under Fedora 25 and XFCE specifically, however, the address bar must already have focus before you switch windows.