Crash on Linux Mint Cinnamon at specific sites Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Crash on Linux Mint Cinnamon at specific sites

Unread post by mozart78 » 2017-01-23, 00:18

Hello, I have crash after 5-10 seconds wwhen I open these two sites - http://www.ign.com/ and http://www.theinquirer.net/. When I open other sites, there isn't any crushes at all. When I use my PC here I use Arch Linux with KDE, there isn't problems with these sites and they work like all others sites. The problem is only with Linux Mint Cinnamon on two laptops and one PC at my work. I tried to change gtk2 theme but without success. Tried to turn off/on hardware acceleration - no results.

I made a video to show you. As you can see the profile is brand new:

https://youtu.be/lwkhdGju1Xk

It's clear that the problem is with the DE Cinnamon or the distro itself. Please, give me some hints what to do? Thank you.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Crash on Linux Mint Cinnamon at specific sites

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-01-23, 01:09

mozart78 wrote:Please, give me some hints what to do? Thank you.
How did you install Pale Moon? Did you use the binaries at linux.palemoon.org or did you use Steve Pusser's repo? If you installed via the repo, please download the binaries from linux.palemoon.org, install them and see if they still crash on those sites. There have been various instabilities reported with the versions installed from Steve's repo.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-01-23, 01:25

They work just fine for me on PM 27.0.3 (x64)

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2017-01-23, 15:05

Nigaikaze wrote:
mozart78 wrote:Please, give me some hints what to do? Thank you.
How did you install Pale Moon? Did you use the binaries at linux.palemoon.org or did you use Steve Pusser's repo? If you installed via the repo, please download the binaries from linux.palemoon.org, install them and see if they still crash on those sites. There have been various instabilities reported with the versions installed from Steve's repo.
I found one more site that provoke crash - http://www.techradar.com

I installed Pale Moon via PPA. I will install it from binaries and will report you back, thank you :)
troypulk wrote:They work just fine for me on PM 27.0.3 (x64)
Absolutely useless post. You are using XFCE. I wrote that the problem occurs only in Cinnamon. I also use PM without any problems on Arch KDE.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-23, 15:12

In this case I don't think that the DE used has any relevance. There are known instabilities with the builds provided by Steve's repo.

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2017-01-23, 15:28

Yes, I now installed it from the binaries and the crashes are gone. Thank you :)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-26, 00:35

For those 16.04 and 16.10 users with crashing issues, I turned off the publishing flag for the PM packages and added the unofficial branded "newmoon" package, which is built against gcc-4.9 on those releases instead of the problematic gcc-5 or 6. Please install and test to see if they solve the issue--hopefully I can switch the fixed PM packages back on soon.