Install failure

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Segfault

Install failure

Unread post by Segfault » 2017-01-22, 00:00

Following Wiki I built and even tested Pale Moon successfully. That is, if I run

Code: Select all

./mach run
it runs. However, install fails:

~/work/Pale-Moon $ sudo ./mach install
 0:01.20 /usr/bin/gmake -C . -j4 -s -w install
 0:01.21 gmake: Entering directory '/home/root/pmbuild'
 0:01.21 gmake: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.
 0:01.21 gmake: Leaving directory '/home/root/pmbuild'
There indeed is no root's home directory in home.

What's wrong?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Install failure

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-22, 07:00

Don't use "mach install" from sudo :) You're changing your environment with the sudo command which makes the binaries unavailable in the (relative) object directory path.
What you want to do is use "mach package" to create a stripped/dist tarball, then install as-normal from that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Segfault

Unread post by Segfault » 2017-01-23, 01:35

Well, I was following the Wiki page, it tells me to use sudo. There is no package creation for Gentoo, is there? There is a Gentoo utility quickpkg, I doubt mach can use it to create a Gentoo binpkg. Anyhow, sudo command really does not change the environment, methinks? I also tried with su, same result. And plain su does not change environment, just the user.
Look at the bottom of this page: https://developer.palemoon.org/Develope ... Moon/Linux

Segfault

Unread post by Segfault » 2017-01-31, 16:13

Is there an alternative way to install?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-31, 16:41

mach package then extract the tarball wherever you see fit.

Also, whomever wrote that needs to correct it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-01-31, 18:12

Segfault wrote:Well, I was following the Wiki page, it tells me to use sudo. There is no package creation for Gentoo, is there?
ebuilds are the "official channel" for "installing" anything in Gentoo. There's an unofficial Pale Moon overlay with ebuilds for Gentoo. See https://overlays.gentoo.org/ and search for "palemoon". It's going to need changes soon. Gstreamer 1.x becomes optional as of 27.1, and probably disappears entirely as of 27.2. There should be a dependancy on ffmpeg or libav (probably "virtual/ffmpeg"), with "x264" and "vpx" USE flags for ffmpeg or libav required as of 27.1. "libav" is supposed to be a drop-in-replacement for ffmpeg, and theoretically should be able to replace it for Pale Moon's purpose.
Segfault wrote:Look at the bottom of this page: https://developer.palemoon.org/Develope ... Moon/Linux
A major re-write will be required for Gentoo instructions, similar to ebuild changes noted above.
Segfault wrote:Is there an alternative way to install?
After ""mach build" and "mach package" both run successfully, there'll be a .bz2 tarball in the pmbuild/dist subdirectory. See the install-from-tarball instructions in the first post of thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 for how to install manually.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-31, 18:24

Well it is a wiki.. Sign up and change them.

Segfault

Unread post by Segfault » 2017-02-03, 01:34

Thanks for replies. I tried the overlay after my install failed. The build errored out. I was to lazy to start troubleshooting. I do not want gstreamer in my system. Tarball package is reasonable, although I'd preferred installing straight into /usr/local/.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-02-03, 03:57

Segfault wrote:Thanks for replies. I tried the overlay after my install failed. The build errored out. I was to lazy to start troubleshooting. I do not want gstreamer in my system. Tarball package is reasonable, although I'd preferred installing straight into /usr/local/.
root or sudo permission required. The following results in a /usr/bin/palemoon symlink that works. I assume that there is only 1 palemoon tarball in your current directory. If not, specify a enough of the name (or the full name) to make the name resolution unique.

rm -rf /usr/local/palemoon
tar -C /usr/local -xvjf palemoon*.bz2
#
# The next line is only required the first time you install manually this way
ln -sf /usr/local/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
If you're the only user on your machine, you can install in your home directory, without bothering with root/sudo. I assume you have $HOME/bin and $HOME/pm directories.

rm -rf $HOME/pm/palemoon
tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon*.bz2
#
# The next line is only required the first time you install manually this way
ln -sf $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon $HOME/bin/palemoon
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-02-03, 06:41

Matt A Tobin wrote:Well it is a wiki.. Sign up and change them.
What are the instructions for signing up? Is there a practice area? I'm not a proficient wiki-author.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-03, 15:12

Walter Dnes wrote:What are the instructions for signing up? Is there a practice area? I'm not a proficient wiki-author.
On the top right side of the page, simply click "Create an account". From there follow the instructions on-screen and then you'll be ready to edit!