Problem with tabs in Pale Moon 27 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Unix Ronin

Problem with tabs in Pale Moon 27

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2017-01-15, 05:44

Is anyone else finding the following happening with PaleMoon 27 on 64-bit Linux?

1. Re-opening closed tabs doesn't work
2. Tab manager add-ons (Tab Mix Plus for example) configured to open new tabs immediately right of the existing open tab are unable to do so, all new tabs open in the far-right position.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Problem with tabs in Pale Moon 27

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-15, 06:19

1. Closed tabs reopen for me without issues.
2. While I do not use TMP, checking "Insert related tabs next to the current tab" in options works for me.

Unix Ronin

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2017-01-15, 17:15

Trava, thanks for the 'related tabs' tip. I think that one is new to me and it did indeed work.

I'm not sure what is going on with undo close; I've had it work once or twice but that's all.

Unix Ronin

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2017-01-16, 18:34

OK, found the answer. It turns out Tab Mix Plus breaks Pale Moon 27's ability to re-open closed tabs.

This is rather annoying because it's also Tab Mix Plus that was providing me with a drop-down list of all open tabs. Much more importantly, it was allowing me to make a number of settings I consider REALLY CRITICALLY IMPORTANT which are not to my knowledge available without an add-on, such as forcing all bookmarks and all links sent by external apps to ALWAYS open in a new tab instead of overwriting an existing tab. (I mean, that one is a real biggie.) Likewise I prefer that every time I type a URL into the URL bar, it opens in a new window. Not having that "always force new tab" means a LOT of extra fiddling around and a lot of extra frustration for me, but without an add-on I can't make that behavior the default, I have to remember to always Ctrl-click bookmarks.

Can anyone suggest an alternative? Even if only an alternative way to force that particular behavior? I cannot find a single add-on that does it that will work in PaleMoon 27 except for Tab Mix Plus, and Tab Mix Plus completely breaks re-opening tabs. Tab Utilities was actually always my preference over Tab Mix Plus, but it's blocked by PaleMoon because of "a high chance of causing instability".

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-01-16, 22:28

I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but I use Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.2 on Pale Moon 27.0.3 x64 for Windows. I use most of the settings you do and I can reopen closed tabs without problems. I almost always use CTL - F12 to reopen closed tabs, but I just tried it with the pop-up menu and it works too. So it leaves me wondering if you have a conflict with an other extension or if the bug is specific to Pale Moon and Tab Mix Plus for Linux.

Or if you don't use the default theme, could there be a problem with the theme you are using?
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-01-17, 01:59

using TMP 0.4.1.8 on Linux x64 here, no issue at all. though i should note i'm also running Session Manager which has its own tab restore settings, so i'm not sure if TMP or SM is handling that part

Unix Ronin

SOLVED Re: Problem with tabs in Pale Moon 27

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2017-01-17, 04:25

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I did have to install Session Manager to avoid losing my admittedly verging-on-out-of-control open tabs during my 26-27 upgrade. I suppose it could be Session Manager and TMP fighting. I'll try removing Session Manager and reinstall TMP and see if it fixes the problem.

UPDATE:
That was the problem. Tab Mix Plus is working fine on its own. But TMP and Session Manager were conflicting, but TMP's session crash recovery was not allowing me to restore my session across all the multiple restarts necessary to resolve the add-ons that were conflicting with PM 27. And with SM removed and TMP reinstalled, not only is my tab behavior restored, but unclose tab is working as well.

So, problems solved. Thank you for the tip to check Session Manager.