Pale Moon for Linux - Unstable builds

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon for Linux - Unstable builds

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-05-07, 20:59

Off-topic:
Haha, that's a fun way of putting it.

I built Pale Moon 28 ('alpha 1') the other day and started it with a new profile, and while it's nice to see a manifestation of all the work I know is being put into UXP (and have un-prefixed pointer lock support, among some other things), it definitely has some problems to be fixed yet.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-09, 23:51

No unstable 32-bit this week. I've been having on-and-off problems with my DSL connection (the hardest kind to diagnose) and just got back on. Hopefully, things settle down with the connection and there'll be a build next week.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-15, 02:46

It's Monday again. The latest 32-bit unstable linux build tarball is available for download at URL

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/32bit-unstable-Linux/palemoon-27.9.1a1_180514.linux-i686.tar.bz2
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-26, 15:05

Is there a new URL for the v28 milestone or was version number not updated? I just ran...

Code: Select all

rm -rf pmsrc
git clone -b master --depth 1 https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git pmsrc
...and the file pmsrc/browser/config/version.txt says 27.9.1a1 But all files have May 26th date stamp.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-26, 16:12

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-26, 16:15

Walter, please coordinate with Travis before you build and especially publish anything off of UXP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-26, 16:38

UXP version is 52.9.0. Is that from Firefox? Shouldn't it be 28.0.something? I'll go ahead and do a build.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-26, 16:40

Moonchild wrote:Walter, please coordinate with Travis before you build and especially publish anything off of UXP.
Roger
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-05-26, 20:44

The unstable Linux builds have now been switched over to Alpha 2 of v28.0.0 as of today. Be aware that there will be a good number of issue that still need to be resolved. One major issue Pale Moon v28.0.0a2 still has is that Sync is not yet operational, so please be aware of this if you rely on Sync.

Another important point to note: if you decide to upgrade to the unstable v28 version, it will migrate your browser profile to a later version that is not backwards compatible with v27.*. You cannot use the same profile if you decide to go back to a release version v27.* later.

Also, beginning with this unstable build the internal updater has been enabled. This means that as long as the unstable tarball has been extracted to a user-writable location the browser will automatically update to the latest unstable version as they become available.

Please provide any feedback you have on these builds, whether it is here on the forum or the issue tracker for UXP on GitHub.

As a final point I will stress that using the unstable channel builds is entirely at your own risk. It can cause all sorts of unintended side-effects and there is the potential that you could lose data.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-06-02, 03:54

trava90 wrote:Also, beginning with this unstable build the internal updater has been enabled. This means that as long as the unstable tarball has been extracted to a user-writable location the browser will automatically update to the latest unstable version as they become available.
Note that there was a small issue with the initial alpha unstable build that prevented the internal updater from working. This has been fixed as of the 2018-06-02 unstable build. So if you are using the initial unstable Linux build of Pale Moon 28, you will need to manually update to the 2018-06-02 version in order for the internal updater to work going forward.