Pale Moon on RamDisk

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
[DC-1]

Pale Moon on RamDisk

Unread post by [DC-1] » 2017-01-12, 07:34

Hi there!

I like to share my brand new cleaned up script which is based on an ugly one which i used for months. I have very slow hdd and the cpu is also old. So, my idea is to run Pale Moon from ramdisk. And it works as expected: everything is more smoother now. So if you use a such old machine like me, it's worth to try.
Other improvenet is unzipping all files and use them directly from ram without always unzipping them. So all the extensions and omni.ja are unzipped on startup - this also increased speed on my slow 2.2ghz.
Yes, it's syncing back the profile to hdd in every 6 minutes (can be configured at top of file), so this problem is already solved.

And how much does it cost? About 140-400mb of ram based on your configuration. With gtk2 + basic gstreamer libs it eats ~240mb for me. If you don't use gstreamer it can be also disabled and save ram. But remember: when you actively use Pale Moon then the required files are in page cache, so storing all of them is not too much overhead. Other advantage because of this: Pale Moon will never be dropped from pagecache, because ramfs is equivalent to pagecache, so it responds immediately when you switch back from other task.

Any feedback is welcomed. ;)

Download from: https://github.com/zaza42/pmram

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon on RamDisk

Unread post by distantpluto » 2017-01-13, 11:18

I've always run Palemoon (and Firefox before that) from /dev/shm - just a simple script using rsync to copy the profile and run it from there. I only save the differences back on exit though. Definitely worth it for the snappier performance and saved disk writes.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.