Pale Moon Has Penetrated Further Into My Household

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JodyThornton

Pale Moon Has Penetrated Further Into My Household

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2017-01-06, 00:14

I run Puppy Precise v5.7.1 on an old Dell D610 Notebook PC, and I sought out a Pet installer for Pale Moon, which I found someone had packaged for v27.0.3 (I hope that's legal and A-OK with you Moonchild - I don't know what the rules are for packaging software into Pup or Pet installers). Nonetheless, it is WAY WAY FASTER than Seamonkey is on it. The notebook I'm using has a Centrino "M" processor at 1.8 GHz, and has 1 GB of RAM installed. It flies.

I worry for SeaMonkey's future. But the latest release not only omitted some tools, but had some mess ups with the use of system fonts in the UI. Besides, two things: the v2.46 release took nine months to come out. And now I noticed that the SeaMonkey community seems very sour over at MozillaZine. So I'd prefer to avoid that forum environment altogether.

This is my first experience with Pale Moon on Linux. It runs quite smoothly.
:)

Tar_Ni

Re: Pale Moon Has Penetrated Further Into My Household

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2017-01-06, 02:39

I'm running Pale Moon 27.0.3 on Peppermint OS 7. I can agree it's the most responsive browser available for limited specs. It's what Firefox was, and still should be, before they added tons of unecessery features and bloat to their browser. Seamonkey seems to be going down that route as well. Also, the PM devs have made some fine-tunings to both the engine and browser code so it that it will end up performing better. I don't know about Puppy, but on Ubuntu-based distros installing PM is just so damn easy with the installer, and updating it is painless too.

Long live Pale Moon! ;)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-01-06, 06:19

JodyThornton wrote:I run Puppy Precise v5.7.1 on an old Dell D610 Notebook PC, and I sought out a Pet installer for Pale Moon, which I found someone had packaged for v27.0.3 (I hope that's legal and A-OK with you Moonchild - I don't know what the rules are for packaging software into Pup or Pet installers).
The redistribution license at http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml section 8a says
Building and distributing a binary with official branding is in that situation only in principle allowed if an actual variant build is required for the target distribution's compatibility (e.g. kernel or library requirements) or operation, and otherwise not impacting the material content of the browser package as a whole.
So that would appear to allow building against a different version of glibc as required for Lucid Puppy. I understand that the Ghost vulnerability patch and various other security patches have been backported to the appropriate libs in Puppy528.7-20161228.

BTW. Which repository was that from? If somebody else has already done it, there's no point in me re-inventing the wheel. I should simply point to to that package, rather than doing a separate contributed build. Are you using a Pentium 3 machine?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2017-01-06, 13:55

No it's a Pentium 4-style CPU. I don't think it's hyperthreaded, but I could be wrong. It came with XP.
I downloaded the installer from the last two pages of this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=270

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-01-07, 19:06

JodyThornton wrote:No it's a Pentium 4-style CPU. I don't think it's hyperthreaded, but I could be wrong. It came with XP.
I downloaded the installer from the last two pages of this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=270
What version of linux are you using? If it's Puppy Linux, then which version of Puppy? I'm currently trying to build for Lucid Puppy, and having compatability problems.

BTW, we're almost neighbours. I live in a condo just north of Dufferin and Steeles.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2017-01-07, 23:44

Oh wow. I'm at Bayview and Major Mack ... lol. Small world. I work at the Buttonville Airport. Upstairs we do on-air traffic reporting for radio (basically they outsource to us)

So as for Puppy, it's Precise v5.7.1 (I'm on the PAE build if I'm not mistaken, though with 1 GB of RAM, that hardly matters)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-01-08, 02:52

JodyThornton wrote:Oh wow. I'm at Bayview and Major Mack ... lol. Small world. I work at the Buttonville Airport. Upstairs we do on-air traffic reporting for radio (basically they outsource to us)
I worked with Environment Canada in the weather service. I started off as a weather observer in 1976 in BC, before that job was contracted out and/or automated. I took hourly weather observations that went on the circuits, and were used for current weather at airports as well as input for forecasts. I ended up with an office job at the 4905 Dufferin St office. I'm retired now, but the main reason I bought my current condo in 2007 was that it was under 15 minutes walking distance from my job. Plus there's a large shopping centre within walking distance.
JodyThornton wrote:So as for Puppy, it's Precise v5.7.1 (I'm on the PAE build if I'm not mistaken, though with 1 GB of RAM, that hardly matters)
I'm trying to get Pale Moon working on Lucid Puppy. It looks like it'll require upgrading gtk+ to a minimum of version 2.24. I hope they can do it.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way