Strange scrolling behaviour (Gentoo, x64)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fluffynuts

Strange scrolling behaviour (Gentoo, x64)

Unread post by fluffynuts » 2017-01-02, 15:09

Hi

I've install PaleMoon on my Gentoo box using the unofficial overlay at https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay. I'll first-off admit that whilst I've used Debian (or a derivative) as my primary desktop OS for around 16 years, I've just made the jump to Gentoo (mainly to escape systemd and pulseaudio, both of which seem to have it out for me), so feel free to tell me that I've missed a USE flag or something.

The problem I'm experiencing is that PM never scrolls from the mouse wheel unless it has focus. And even then, it sometimes seems to "forget" about scrolling -- mousewheel stops working altogether. I'd appreciate any thoughts to sort this out.

output of `equery uses palemoon`:
U I
+ + alsa : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
+ + gstreamer : Add support for media-libs/gstreamer (Streaming media)
- - gtk2 : <unknown>
+ + gtk3 : <unknown>
- - jemalloc : <unknown>
- - necko-wifi : <unknown>
+ + official-branding : <unknown>
+ + optimize : <unknown>
- - pulseaudio : Add support for PulseAudio sound server
+ + shared-js : <unknown>
- - system-libs : <unknown>
- - valgrind : <unknown>
- - webrtc : <unknown>

Just looking at that, I'm wondering if it's not the +gtk3. I'm going to try a rebuild (does take a little while), but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any ideas (: It bears noting that I don't have this problem with any other application. If, for example, I have 3 visible windows: Firefox, Konsole and PaleMoon, I can scroll the window under the cursor for the first two, but PM requires focus to scroll. It's a little annoying when I'm trying to figure out all the stuff that I don't know about Gentoo (which is a lot), and I have a console open over PM and just need to scroll the page down a little...

fluffynuts

Re: Strange scrolling behaviour (Gentoo, x64)

Unread post by fluffynuts » 2017-01-02, 16:01

Ok, so, answering this myself: compiling with gtk3 results in the oddness. A gtk2 variant is working fine (:

fillerup

Re: Strange scrolling behaviour (Gentoo, x64)

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-01-03, 09:36

i'm considering switching to a non systemd distro as well, but solely based on the negativity surrounding it i read about online. what are some reasons for you to ditch it?