Cookies not removed

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Cookies not removed

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2016-12-26, 13:29

Hi,

I am using the latest Pale Moon on Linux Mint 17.3 (AMD64).

The cookiesafe extension does not work with Pale Moon 27.x. It did work with 26.x.

I would actually be happy if all cookies were removed when I close Pale Moon. This works with one exception: I am moderator for a forum. To get access to moderator functions I have to set a security cookie, this is done by following a URL like "http://www.domainname.tld/security.php" - that opens a dialogue where i have to enter some personal information. This cookie does not get removed by Pale Moon when I close the browser, it was removed by cookiesafe. All the other cookies get removed upon closing the browser as it is intended but not this one.

So while this might be a minor annoyance for me, I wonder why this happens, how to prevent it, and - if that gets known - other sites might follow the behaviour that leads to cookies not being deleted.

I would prefer if cookiesafe would work again but obviously it is not maintained any more. From time to time it would be convenient to have that dialogue to allow a 3rd party cookie for a specific site (and maybe store that information). However for now I could live whit it but I would consider it as a potential risk.

TIA

Tom

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Cookies not removed

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-12-26, 15:44

There are two cookie management add-ons on Pale Moon's add-on site, Cookie Keeper and Crush Those Cookies. I'd suggest seeing if either one will work for you.

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/category/privacy-and-security/

Also, have you tried an older version of cookiesafe? Although based on what the developer has said on its website I don't think any version works anymore.

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2016-12-27, 02:31

Hi,

I will see if one of those will change the behavior.

On my notebook I still have PM 26.5 and there is Cookiesafe 3.0.5 installed and perfectly working (I cannot remember where I got that version from).

I remember from Firefox that somewhen in the last couple of years that the dialogue of Cookiesafe (from the icon in the status bar) stopped working, but the program itself continued to worked fine.

I will also try a clean install of PaleMoon to see if something in my configuration/addons/whatever causes that.

Thank you

Tom

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-12-27, 02:34

Tomtiger wrote:Hi,

I am using the latest Pale Moon on Linux Mint 17.3 (AMD64).

The cookiesafe extension does not work with Pale Moon 27.x. It did work with 26.x.

I would actually be happy if all cookies were removed when I close Pale Moon. This works with one exception: I am moderator for a forum. To get access to moderator functions I have to set a security cookie, this is done by following a URL like "http://www.domainname.tld/security.php" - that opens a dialogue where i have to enter some personal information. This cookie does not get removed by Pale Moon when I close the browser, it was removed by cookiesafe. All the other cookies get removed upon closing the browser as it is intended but not this one.
Are you sure this is a regular cookie? It sounds a lot like "Offline Website Data". Go to...
Edit ==> Preferences ==> Privacy

Checkmark "Clear history when New Moon closes" and then click on "Settings" in History.

Make sure to checkmark "Offline Website Data" near the bottom right.
Attachments
3image01.png
3image02.png
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2016-12-28, 07:50

Hi,
Walter Dnes wrote:Are you sure this is a regular cookie? It sounds a lot like "Offline Website Data".
I am not sure, until 27.x cookiesafe took care of that. Here with 26.5 I have not activated to clear offline data. A cookie "SEC" is added.

I will try of clearing offline data will take care of that issue,

Thanks Tom

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2016-12-28, 16:30

Hi,

now I have tested it. It does not matter if I check to remove offline website Data. However, if I select to remove cookies there, the cookies get removed.

So while that solves the problem for me I do not know if that is the intended way it should work.

I thought that when I select to keep cookies until I close PM I could define sites under "Exceptions" and the cookies for the sites I allow there would not be removed when closing PM.

In the clear history section I could chose to override that settings an remove all cookies.

But maybe that is my misunderstanding.

However for me that solves this issue,

Thanks a lot

Tom