PM for Linux crashing issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cowlitzron

PM for Linux crashing issues

Unread post by cowlitzron » 2016-12-22, 05:42

PM 27.0.3 for Linux crashes on the following web sites.

html5test.com (beta versions of 27 displayed this web page well)
seen.life -- Social media site crashes when hitting "Edit Profile" only when in Firefox compatibility mode.

cowlitzron

Re: PM for Linux crashing issues

Unread post by cowlitzron » 2016-12-22, 05:50

This is what I get when I put inxi -F in a terminal.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Cowlitz-JULinux Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.1  Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Acer product: Aspire E1-531 v: V1.06
           Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HC_HR v: Type2 - Board Version
           Bios: Acer v: V1.06 date: 04/20/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium B950 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 802 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.1
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
           IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: dc:0e:a1:b3:e2:c9
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 44:6d:57:61:57:17
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (29.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 9.1G (50%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /home size: 18G used: 6.1G (37%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.18GB (3%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 5 days Memory: 953.3/3789.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

cowlitzron

Unread post by cowlitzron » 2016-12-22, 06:44

I'm not reproducing the crashing issues when running PM 27.0.3 on JULinux 10 based on Xubuntu 14.04 trusty with kernel 4.1.36-gnu.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-22, 22:29

Please provide as much detail about the actual crashes as you can.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-06, 11:52

i have same issue using palemoon 27.0.3 both 32 and 64 bit version on same site. sometimes it will complete that test but then just hangs until i get this page is not responding message, other times it simply crashes as soon as i get to that site.

don't believe i had this happen until most recent update of palemoon 27.0.3 (repack 2) in ubuntu 16.04.

don't know what else to include or how to provide more details as i'm not much of a linux guru :(

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-06, 14:37

missmoondog wrote:i have same issue using palemoon 27.0.3 both 32 and 64 bit version on same site. sometimes it will complete that test but then just hangs until i get this page is not responding message, other times it simply crashes as soon as i get to that site.

don't believe i had this happen until most recent update of palemoon 27.0.3 (repack 2) in ubuntu 16.04.

don't know what else to include or how to provide more details as i'm not much of a linux guru :(
Please open about:buildconfig and post the compiler version used. Also, try starting Pale Moon from the terminal and post the message it provides when Pale Moon crashes. Does the binaries from linux.palemoon.org also crash on those sites?

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-07, 12:11

Compiler Version Compiler flags
gcc 5.3.1 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wno-unused -Wcast-align -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe
c++ 5.3.1 -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wall -Wempty-body -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wcast-align -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -std=gnu++0x -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -g -O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

this is what i get when starting palemoon from terminal:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-07, 15:23

Do the binaries from linux.palemoon.org also crash in the same way?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-08, 19:52

Is it possible that the versions compiled against gcc 4.9 don't share the issue? Can you manually download and install a version built for an earlier Ubuntu, such as 14.0.4, to see if it shares the problem? i.e., click the green "grab binary packages directly" link at the bottom of the instructions page: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

Or could it be that issue with gstreamer 1.10--is that what version you have in Mint?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-08, 22:42

stevepusser wrote:Is it possible that the versions compiled against gcc 4.9 don't share the issue?
I believe that this may be the case Steve. GCC 5.x performs an optimization (we don't know for sure which one) that has been known to cause random crashes in the past. Is there anyway that you could rebuild using GCC 4.9?
stevepusser wrote:Or could it be that issue with gstreamer 1.10--is that what version you have in Mint?
If memory serves Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 uses GStreamer 1.8, so I don't think that is the problem here.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-01-09, 06:00

stevepusser wrote:Is it possible that the versions compiled against gcc 4.9 don't share the issue? Can you manually download and install a version built for an earlier Ubuntu, such as 14.0.4, to see if it shares the problem?
If you're going to use gcc version 5.x, you may as well use 5.4.0, which is the final, most-polished of the gcc 5.x compiler series. It is also the only one of the 5.x series that is still being supported as per the https://gcc.gnu.org/ web page.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-10, 11:54

just noticed on a different machine that i have the older 4.9.1 version of the gcc compiler installed and it does not crash on that html5 test page. i installed palemoon using the installer found here, http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

actually, i had palemoon installed via that tool on all my linux boxes, 5 of them, until i found that page where it told me how to add the repository and key. https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

i think i will just uninstall the other versions of palemoon and reinstall them using that installer tool so as not to have to be jumping through hoops installing binary versions or different compilers or older versions of palemoon.

will let you know how it goes as palemoon updates.

thanks for the help :)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-12, 21:08

trava90 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Is it possible that the versions compiled against gcc 4.9 don't share the issue?
I believe that this may be the case Steve. GCC 5.x performs an optimization (we don't know for sure which one) that has been known to cause random crashes in the past. Is there anyway that you could rebuild using GCC 4.9?
stevepusser wrote:Or could it be that issue with gstreamer 1.10--is that what version you have in Mint?
If memory serves Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 uses GStreamer 1.8, so I don't think that is the problem here.
The OBS normally builds the packages against the default gcc that the distro release provides, so it's not really feasible to have it build against a gcc 5.4+ version in a release that doesn't provide it. There's a way to force the builds to use gcc 4.9 when the default is some version of gcc-5, but then Ubuntu 14.04 has 4.8 and Debian 7 has 4.7 instead of 4.9. I know there's ways to set which version of gcc to use with some conditionals in the debian/rules file, which is a makefile, and then create a debian/control file with the correct gcc build-depends for each release from a control.in file, but I've never done anything like that...I think I need to ask for help on a Debian maintainer mailing list.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-13, 11:10

just an update.

have installed palemoon via the installer tool now on a couple of my machines and haven't had any crashing issues on that html5 test page or any other sites. my local news channels weather page http://www.wzzm13.com/weather had crashed palemoon a few times also.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-13, 11:21

stevepusser wrote:The OBS normally builds the packages against the default gcc that the distro release provides, so it's not really feasible to have it build against a gcc 5.4+ version in a release that doesn't provide it.
For the record, on our side it's not feasible to be 100% compatible with every thinkable range of compiler that a distro might have -- this is exactly why binary packages are supplied and take precedence over distros building from source on client machines when binaries are available.
We do not provide support for binaries built from source in unknown or unsupported environments.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-20, 12:10

have reinstalled palemoon on all 5 machines now using the installer tool with the older gcc version and have no issues with the browser now, so i guess we know what the problem was.

thanks for the help folks :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-20, 18:55

stevepusser wrote: I know there's ways to set which version of gcc to use with some conditionals in the debian/rules file, which is a makefile, and then create a debian/control file with the correct gcc build-depends for each release from a control.in file, but I've never done anything like that...I think I need to ask for help on a Debian maintainer mailing list.
This will have to take immediate priority. There are obviously plenty of issues with building Pale Moon using gcc 5.x or 6.x, and I really can't have official binaries distributed through a Linux package repo be crashing on people's machines because of the build environment/config creating unstable binaries. Make sure you get the correct environment to build in with the correct dependencies and toolchain to create stable binaries ASAP, please.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-26, 00:37

For those 16.04 and 16.10 users with crashing issues, I turned off the publishing flag for the PM packages and added the unofficial branded "newmoon" package, which is built against gcc-4.9 on those releases instead of the problematic gcc-5 or 6. Please install and test to see if they solve the issue--hopefully I can switch the fixed PM packages back on soon.

Please note that you can have both PM and New Moon installed at the same time.