Netflix - Am I the only one?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

Netflix - Am I the only one?

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-12-13, 18:21

Ubuntu 14.4 - x64.

Can't find any information newer than 2015 on Ubuntu/Netflix and even then, just the one post.

I have spent about four hours trying all the different suggestions I have found online for getting netflix to run. Hell, I even installed FFox 50 and still nothing.

Seems like Ubuntu is not paying netflix a commission like google, Opera and msoft-IE must be doing. :D

Can someone/anyone please tell me how to watch netflix with PM or {gasp} FFox? I just need it for the Home Theater laptop currently running Vista, but want to go all-in with PM/Ubuntu in the house.

Thanks

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Netflix - Am I the only one?

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-13, 18:44

Netflix used to have only Silverlight for playback, and watching it in Linux would require the use of a specially patched Wine, plus either using a Windows browser in Wine or piping the plugin into a Linux browser with pipelight. I don't know if Netflix is still using Silverlight; Chrome on all platforms ships with a widevine plugin to allow for Netflix copy protection on HTML5 playback. Starting with version 49, the Linux Firefox would ask to download and install the plugin for the local user if it detected a website that needed it, but I have heard reports that that may be broken. I doubt that that PM has the "hooks" to use the widevine plugin if the user grafts it into the user's PM folder, though.

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-12-13, 20:16

Thanks Steve, should have mentioned that I did have it working in PM-26 using pipelight. But that is not working for PM-27. It is definitely at netflix end as I reinstalled an image of Ubuntu 14.4 that had PM-25 or 26 on it and was working when I made the image, but now it no longer works either.

I have to think netflix must be getting some kind of hand out from the "approved" browsers. But as I mentioned I have installed FFx 50 and it is not working either. Even with UserAgent etc. It too goes straight to the "browser not supported" page. They must be detecting the underlying OS rather than reading the UserAgent spoofing.

I guess it is back to Vista for the Home Theater box. Pretty arrogant of netflix.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-15, 01:47

Have you tried it with Google Chrome in Ubuntu?

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2017-02-10, 14:57

I got it to work in Linux Mint 17.3 using pipelight-multi.

This is about equal to Ubuntu 14.04.

Even tho, I set the user agent to Firefox 45 [windows ver] in both Pale Moon 27.1.0 and Firefox 43.0, I could not get it to work in Pale Moon 27.1.0.

Netflix looks really good in Windows 10 using Pale Moon 27.1.0

The picture looks terrible tho, using Widevine.