A couple of minor snags using pminstaller 0.2.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
[PCMartin]

A couple of minor snags using pminstaller 0.2.2

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2016-12-09, 06:18

As a preliminary matter, I'm a Linux noob, so don't expect much in the way of insight from me.

I used pminstaller 0.2.2 to install Pale Moon x64 26.5.0 in a Linux Mint 18 ("Sarah") x64 Cinnamon VirtualBox guest on a Windows 7 x64 host. The install was successful, I "imported" my Pale Moon profile from Windows to Linux successfully, and I'm sharing my Session Manager sessions folder in Windows with my Linux Mint virtual machine successfully. However, I did run into a couple of snags along the way:

(1) I wasn't installing the latest version of Pale Moon (27.0.2) but an older version, 26.5.0. (I have a couple of indispensable extensions that are incompatible with PM 27.) Clicking on pminstaller's "show versions" button loaded a Web page containing a link to another Web page listing all of the archived versions of Pale Moon for Linux, and that was the end of any automation. After a little trial and error and several minutes searching the Web, I figured out that the Web page listing was meant to serve as a reference and that it was necessary to enter the version number manually in nn.n.n format, with no x86 or x64 suffix. If providing a pre-populated dropdown box is too complicated or too prone to breakage, it would be very helpful to state the required format in pminstaller's interface itself.

(2) Also, when I clicked the "show versions" button, I got an error message to the effect that Firefox (previously my default browser) was already running and that I would have to close it. I'm guessing this is because I run Firefox in single-window mode, Firefox was already running, pminstaller tried to open a new Firefox window, and attempting to open a new Firefox Window in Linux doesn't automatically fall back to opening a new foreground tab in the existing Firefox windows instead (as it does in Windows). It would be nice if pminstaller's "show versions" routine handled the fallback from new window to new tab automatically.

Apart from that, at the conclusion of the Pale Moon install I got a message that some versions of oxygen-gtk/gk2-engines-oxygen don't play nice with Pale Moon and that I should be prepared to either update it or switch to a different theme engine if I experience display problems or crashes. Thankfully (since I don't yet know what a theme engine is), I haven't run into any problems so far.

I've installed a couple of apps in Wine, but this was my first install of a Linux package from outside the repository. All things considered, it was pretty painless and reasonably fast, so many thanks to the developer. Utilities like pminstaller and SI-GUI (for doing parallel installs of different versions of LibreOffice in Windows) make life a lot easier for us ordinary users.