Palemoon quits for no reason! Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Abdorhman Ayman

Palemoon quits for no reason!

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-12-04, 14:43

Hi everyone,
I used Palemoon linux installer to get the latest version of Palemoon, but it quits automatically once I open any YouTube video, this happened to me yesterday on OpenSuse leap 42.2 with Xfce 4.12 and today on Bunsenlabs (Debian 8 based) with Openbox.

on Bunsenlabs (Debian 8 based): happened before & after installing Adobe flash player
on OpenSuse 42.2 leap: never tried installing Adobe flash player

can someone confirm that? please try getting the latest version of Palemoon using the latest version of Palemoon linux installer (or Windows installer, maybe this bug will be present on Windows too).

respectfully

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Palemoon quits for no reason!

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-04, 20:15

Please start Pale Moon from the terminal and post any error messages you receive.

Abdorhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-12-04, 20:57

the error is "Segmentation fault"

I said earlier that this happens all the times, now I know that's not correct, because it doesn't always quit, I was able to watch some videos.

respectfully

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-04, 21:00

It's likely related to GStreamer. If you set "media.gstreamer.enabled" to false in about:config, does it still crash?

(Note that by changing this setting to false you will not be able to view H.264 HD video).

Abdorhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-12-04, 23:03

I been always using the same distro, why is this happening now after I reinstalled it then reinstalled Palemoon? my point is maybe there is something wrong with this version that needs to get fixed (Version: 27.0.2 (x86))

+ I never watch HD anyways :) will try your solution.

P.S. I don't have this issue with Firefox.

respectfully

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-05, 05:09

Pale Moon 27 is using GStreamer 1.x, while v26.5 was using GStreamer 0.10.

P.S. Firefox's media handling (and many, many other things) are greatly different than Pale Moon's. Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again.

Abdorhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-12-05, 07:55

many thanks for your time :) so, should I report this as a bug on Debian 8?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-05, 08:27

Did setting media.gstreamer.enabled to false solve the crashes?

Abdorhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-12-05, 10:57

I will be using YouTube brutally within the next 3 days, then I will decide if setting it to false works or not.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-12-05, 18:29

I can remember some users reporting seg fault errors when using PM 26 on youtube if system had gstreamer-vaapi installed, removing that cured many cases. But I am not sure if PM 27 is still affected by gstreamer-vaapi. I don't have that installed in any of my systems!

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-05, 22:53

You can also test the Debian 8 builds I have in the OBS repo on Bunsen Labs to see if the same thing happens. You can directly download and install the single binary deb package for your platform if you don't want to add the repository. You should uninstall the installer version first to make sure it doesn't interfere.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-05, 23:00

You can also test the Debian 8 builds I have in the OBS repo on Bunsen Labs to see if the same thing happens. You can directly download and install the single binary deb package for your platform if you don't want to add the repository.