Pale Moon is crawling on Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Pale Moon is crawling on Linux

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-04, 10:36

Hello, till 27.x update Pale Moon begun crawling on Linux, on multiple computers and on computers of friends of mine. It has a very slow start, 5 or 6 times slower then previous versions. There is also problem with loading pages. After 15-20 min. the loading of pages gets very slow. They already load slower than previous versions in v27 but after couple of minutes loading gets even slower. I'll revert version to 26.5.0 on all computers except mine for I can watch when it'll be fixed. Please, fix that :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon is crawling on Linux

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-04, 11:34

We can't fix anything unless you provide details.

"I'm sick, please prescribe medicine". :?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

racorbin2010

Re: Pale Moon Problems

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2016-12-04, 19:19

I have been using Palemoon ever since Firefox introduced the Australis interface and it took me several hours to get Firefox back to the way I had it set up to my liking with the previous release. Now, I rarely use Firefox.

I wanted to let the Palemoon support folks know that apart from some very minor (and quickly fixable) issues with a few Extensions and the Oxygen theme in KDE, I have never had a performance problem. I am sure all the problems by other folks are 100% real and annoying, but they never to seem to affected me. I am only sending this because I think you get few posts indicating everything is going great with Palemoon. Thanks.

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 00:26

Moonchild wrote:We can't fix anything unless you provide details.

"I'm sick, please prescribe medicine". :?
What details do you need? I give details in my previous post. I have a not so small forum that all Linux users observe the same slow startup and slower loading of pages with some time of usage. It happens in Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc, with different graphic environments. My girfriend is with Linux Mint Cinnamon and she suffers from exactly the same problems. Yesterday I'v been urged to downgrade because her laptop is old and this effect is more obvious and she have big problems opening our forum which is also phpBB v.3. What other details?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-05, 05:11

You're going to have to provide some examples of pages not loading and be more specific about the slow startup. Does it happen with a fresh profile?

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 10:13

There isn't pages that not loading. The opening of all pages is slowed down drastically after some time of usage. I'll try some variants with clean profile and I'll write back but is good to know that all of the members of my forum are with absolutelly different profile settings, themes and addons and all of them observe slow PM startup and slower loading of pages.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-05, 15:57

mozart78 wrote:There isn't pages that not loading. The opening of all pages is slowed down drastically after some time of usage. I'll try some variants with clean profile and I'll write back but is good to know that all of the members of my forum are with absolutelly different profile settings, themes and addons and all of them observe slow PM startup and slower loading of pages.
I'm using Windows and I don't have any performance issues.

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 16:52

With 26.5.0 I haven't any too.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-05, 18:15

Doesn't it seem odd to you that everyone on that forum reports having this trouble, yet there are no other reports of "crawling" PM* on this forum? A scientist would immediately hypothesize that there is some common factor among the users of that forum, much like John Snow in 19th century London who determined the common factor among victims of a cholera outbreak was that they drank water from a certain public pump, ordered the pump capped amidst some derision of his peers, and was proven correct when that stopped the outbreak? (This was before the germ theory of disease). Could there be a "well" that the users of that forum are drinking from in common, such as an extension they are all using that has a memory leak?

The "crawling" as described also sounds exactly like the symptoms suffered by a system that has filled up the physical RAM after some use and is having to resort to swapping memory in and out from the disk swapfile. (google "memory leak") Does the whole system slow down, or is it just PM? What have the forum members done to rule out this hypothesis? For example, when building PM from source in a virtual machine, I noticed that the VM GUI was crawling and the disk was swapping continuously--so I cured that by increasing the memory available to the VM. There are literally dozens of ways on Linux to monitor RAM and swap use in realtime, so I'm not going to spoonfeed your forum members when search engines will tell you how to do that for each platform and desktop environment. (hint: neofetch works well everywhere for a system information snapshot)

And how was PM installed for all these users? Do the Debian/Ubuntu OBS builds, which are built from source on each platform instead of on CentOS 7, also suffer the same issue for your forum members that can test those builds, when nobody else is reporting that for those packages?

* The Horror of the Crawling Pale Moon, by H.P. Lovecraft.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2016-12-05, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-12-05, 18:17

mozart78 wrote:...... It happens in Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc, with different graphic environments. My girfriend is with Linux Mint Cinnamon and she suffers from exactly the same problems......
I have observed no change whatsoever in overall performance after upgrading to PM 27 (still using my PM 26 profile) and I run PM as my main browser in Xubuntu 14.04, Xubuntu 16.04, MX-15 Fusion, all on different desktop boxes and also no problems with Mint 18 XFCE and Linux Lite 3.0 on a test rig. All installed via the pminstaller. I run browser cache in RAM in all cases!

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 19:11

stevepusser wrote:Doesn't it seem odd to you that everyone on that forum reports having this trouble, yet there are no other reports of "crawling" PM* on this forum? A scientist would immediately hypothesize that there is some common factor among the users of that forum, much like John Snow in 19th century London who determined the common factor among victims of a cholera outbreak was that they drank water from a certain public pump, ordered the pump capped amidst some derision of his peers, and was proven correct when that stopped the outbreak? (This was before the germ theory of disease). Could there be a "well" that the users of that forum are drinking from in common, such as an extension they are all using that has a memory leak?

The "crawling" as described also sounds exactly like the symptoms suffered by a system that has filled up the physical RAM after some use and is having to resort to swapping memory in and out from the disk swapfile. (google "memory leak") Does the whole system slow down, or is it just PM? What have the forum members done to rule out this hypothesis? For example, when building PM from source in a virtual machine, I noticed that the VM GUI was crawling and the disk was swapping continuously--so I cured that by increasing the memory available to the VM. There are literally dozens of ways on Linux to monitor RAM and swap use in realtime, so I'm not going to spoonfeed your forum members when search engines will tell you how to do that for each platform and desktop environment. (hint: neofetch works well everywhere for a system information snapshot)

And how was PM installed for all these users? Do the Debian/Ubuntu OBS builds, which are built from source on each platform instead of on CentOS 7, also suffer the same issue for your forum members that can test those builds, when nobody else is reporting that for those packages?

* The Horror of the Crawling Pale Moon, by H.P. Lovecraft.
No, when I wrote "crawling" I mеan slow startup and slow loading of pages. Pale Moon itself doesn't crawling except the page loading. Users installed PM fromm your PPA.
lightning slinger wrote:
mozart78 wrote:...... It happens in Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc, with different graphic environments. My girfriend is with Linux Mint Cinnamon and she suffers from exactly the same problems......
I have observed no change whatsoever in overall performance after upgrading to PM 27 (still using my PM 26 profile) and I run PM as my main browser in Xubuntu 14.04, Xubuntu 16.04, MX-15 Fusion, all on different desktop boxes and also no problems with Mint 18 XFCE and Linux Lite 3.0 on a test rig. All installed via the pminstaller. I run browser cache in RAM in all cases!
Now downgrade to 26.5 and see the startup times ;)

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-12-05, 19:45

mozart78 wrote:
lightning slinger wrote:
Now downgrade to 26.5 and see the startup times ;)
Startup times are NO different to me between PM 26 and PM 27 on any of my boxes! My homepage for the last ten years or more has been
https://www.bbc.co.uk/
Plenty of content there to load and it loads that in half the time FF does with the same add-on extensions uBlockO and Encrypted Web (HTTPS Everywhere in FF) and both using their default themes!

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 20:04

I always start with about:blank and no any pages.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-05, 22:42

The Arch user(s) reporting the problem can't have installed from my not-a-PPA OBS repository; I don't have any Arch builds there. It sounds more like the download speeds are not the same for the different versions. Can you monitor the Net speeds (using gkrellm works well) and see if there's any difference between the two? Does the PM installer version make any difference from my builds?

A wild guess is that there could be some IPV4 vs IPV6 handling difference in the new version, but this is just arm-waving.

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-05, 23:08

My forum users are mostly with Ubuntu/Mint. I have laptop with Linux Mint Cinnamon18 and Pale Moon installed via your PPA and I observe there the problem with much slower page loadings after some time of usage. I downgraded to 26.5.0 already. On my PC with Arch PM is installed via AUR and there I observe the slow startup problem but the pages are loading without problems. The profiles are absolutely the same on laptop and on PC. Just folder copy and different bookmarks with some time passed.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-12-06, 01:40

I have seen some of the same things as the OP.
I am running a clean fresh install of Slackware-currrent fresh install of Pale Moon via Pale Moon installer.
Addons: Crush Those Cookies, Disconnect, Download YouTube Videos as MP4, Encrypted Web, Flagfox, I don't care about Cookies, keyconfig, Menu Icons Plus, Secret Agent, uBlock Origin, Video Downloader Professional

I am seeing after a while, pages start loading slower and eventually stop loading. I have to restart Pale Moon and it snaps right out of it but slowly regresses into the same behavior.

Pale Moon is also freezing my system sometimes.

Also, pages are not always loading correctly.

@OP, Are you using AdBlock Latitude?

mozart78
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by mozart78 » 2016-12-06, 10:03

Yes, I'm with AdBlock Latitude :)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-06, 19:22

This issue is also occurs when PM is run without any extensions in safe mode?

themew

Unread post by themew » 2016-12-06, 20:18

Had the same issue with PM 27 and ABL, dead slow page loading as it was hovering my CPU usage at 50% within 5-10 minutes of loading the browser. Even with ABL turned off or blocked from loading, the slow browsing and CPU load continued.

Updated ABL to the current 4.0.0 version and all issues have been solved. The browser idles at 1-2%, page loads are instant and page rendering is perfect.

Using Manjaro Linux (latest version) with XFCE.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-12-07, 01:31

themew wrote:Had the same issue with PM 27 and ABL, dead slow page loading as it was hovering my CPU usage at 50% within 5-10 minutes of loading the browser. Even with ABL turned off or blocked from loading, the slow browsing and CPU load continued.

Updated ABL to the current 4.0.0 version and all issues have been solved. The browser idles at 1-2%, page loads are instant and page rendering is perfect.

Using Manjaro Linux (latest version) with XFCE.
Yep. I switched back to ABL today (4.0.0) and it is working almost perfectly again. There are some sites that it leaves a big blank space where there was an ad, but I can deal with that. Thanks to Moonchild for fixing it! (I think it was you that said you fixed it!)

But I am still seeing the other issues.

(Slackware64-current/KDE)