Slackware Package

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
balloon

Slackware Package

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-28, 01:01

A package for Slackware has been released:
https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?t=7185

As you can see from the published location,
it can be expected to work even with derivations such as Salix.
The publisher is also the developer of Slackel.

Until now Slackware users suffered from meaningless segfaults and build times.
This package will resolve it. :D

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Slackware Package

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-11-29, 00:20

While I am happy to see that we finally have a working Pale Moon on Slackware and derivatives again, this release (27.0.0) seems slower, pages not loading correctly, pages not loading at all and it is freezing my system from time to time. Eh.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-29, 00:35

I understand the release of 27.0.1. I will prompt the maintainer to update the package.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-11-29, 01:13

Yea, I noticed the 27.0.1 release right after I posted last, but I upgraded and I am still seeing the same issues.

I'm not using the PM Installer, but using the SlackBuild. So maybe it could just be that the SlackBuild needs to be updated or something. IDK. Don't really have time to care.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-11-29, 15:11

Among other problems, the internal PDF viewer seems to be broken in 27.0.x, in both the Slackbuild version and the binary provided by Palemoon. I have to run 26.5.0 because of this.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-11-29, 15:21

Skaendo wrote:While I am happy to see that we finally have a working Pale Moon on Slackware and derivatives again, this release (27.0.0) seems slower, pages not loading correctly, pages not loading at all and it is freezing my system from time to time. Eh.
FWIW, this was a problem with 26.5 also, With 26.5, I saw more and more pages that just won't load. I have to use Google Chrome more and more because of this. I don't know if 27.0 has fixed any of this, but the broken pdf viewer is a deal killer for me.

EDIT: Apparently the PDF view was intentionally removed. I'm having a bit of a challenge finding a plugin that works, most of the ones I'm seeing either aren't compatible, or just don't work <sigh>....

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-11-29, 19:07

I have figured out what was slowing Pale Moon down for me, AdBlock Latitude. So I have made the switch to uBlock Origin. I'm sorry I didn't switch sooner, amazingly fast and seems to do the same job if not better. Time will tell though.

I am still having other issues; pages not loading correctly, pages not loading at all.
Example: https://i.imgur.com/lwW52Vn.jpg (I had to take a picture, trying to take a screenshot fixes it)
Although I have not encountered the freezing yet.

@Zootal, I have a habit of downloading PDF's and viewing them in a PDF viewer. I wasn't a big fan of having them render in a browser in the first place. But I will keep my eye out for a plugin for you.

EDIT: Still getting freezing........
Last edited by Skaendo on 2016-11-29, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-11-29, 20:30

Zootal wrote:Apparently the PDF view was intentionally removed. I'm having a bit of a challenge finding a plugin that works, most of the ones I'm seeing either aren't compatible, or just don't work <sigh>....
If you are running multilib, the adobe-reader SlackBuild (with xulrunner dep) will render pdf's in a browser. Some configuring might need to be done to get it working though. I don't really know.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-30, 06:02

Skaendo wrote:I have figured out what was slowing Pale Moon down for me, AdBlock Latitude. So I have made the switch to uBlock Origin.
Yup. I also switched from Adblock to ublock origin. Especially old PC is recommended.

I have not experienced freeze.(Check with Slackware 14.2, Salix 14.2, Slint 14.2 beta and Slackel (-Current base))
Synchronization and Add-on may be affecting it. Do not overweight Pale Moon.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-11-30, 16:49

Skaendo wrote:If you are running multilib, the adobe-reader SlackBuild (with xulrunner dep) will render pdf's in a browser. Some configuring might need to be done to get it working though. I don't really know.
I already had adobe-reader working in the 32 bit version, but I did something a while back to get the 64 bit version to run, but that broke the 32 bit version. I don't remember what I did, need to poke around a bit and see if I can find my notes. I maintain a suite of apps that deliver content in the form of PDF files displayed in a browser - it's a critical part of many of my apps. I need a browser that does this, and for now PaleMoon just stopped being such a browser. Maybe when I have more time I'll revisit this, but I just don't have the time to deal with it <sigh>. I'm going to have to either switch back to FireFox, or move to Chrome...

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-11-30, 20:15

Now I remember the problems with PaleMoon 32 bit!

The 32 bit version of PaleMoon is trying to look into /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0, instead of the 32 bit library directory. This causes wrong ELF class errors. I remember some conversation a while ago about this, and the PaleMoon devs basically told us that it wasn't something they could/would address on Slackware, and we were pretty much on our own. This is still an issue with 27.0.0., the 32 bit version is still looking into the 64 bit gdk-pixbuf library directory, finding 64 bit libraries, and choking. I played with this a bit and could not figure out how to get PM 32 bit to look at 32 bit libs.

I'm not sure how many versions back this goes, I just tried 25.8.1, and it also has this problem.

I wonder if the root cause is in multilib? You would think there would be a way to tell/force PM to use the 32 bit gdk-pixbuf libs.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2016-12-01, 03:45

Zootal wrote:Now I remember the problems with PaleMoon 32 bit!

The 32 bit version of PaleMoon is trying to look into /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0, instead of the 32 bit library directory. This causes wrong ELF class errors. I remember some conversation a while ago about this, and the PaleMoon devs basically told us that it wasn't something they could/would address on Slackware, and we were pretty much on our own. This is still an issue with 27.0.0., the 32 bit version is still looking into the 64 bit gdk-pixbuf library directory, finding 64 bit libraries, and choking. I played with this a bit and could not figure out how to get PM 32 bit to look at 32 bit libs.

I'm not sure how many versions back this goes, I just tried 25.8.1, and it also has this problem.

I wonder if the root cause is in multilib? You would think there would be a way to tell/force PM to use the 32 bit gdk-pixbuf libs.
Well currently I have to point qBittorrent to libboost-1.59 that I have installed in /opt/boost159 (-current has boost-1.60). My launch command is:

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/boost159/usr/lib64 qbittorrent %U
I would bet that you could do something similar for pointing Pale Moon to the correct libs. If I get a little spare time I will play around with it on my test rig.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-01, 06:22

Oops! Perhaps this Pale Moon is pminstaller.sh or SlackBuilds.org? (not a Slackware Package)
In order to avoid confusion, please specify how to install Pale Moon you are using!
These may also affect other Pale Moon for Slackware.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-12-01, 16:02

balloon wrote:Oops! Perhaps this Pale Moon is pminstaller.sh or SlackBuilds.org? (not a Slackware Package)
In order to avoid confusion, please specify how to install Pale Moon you are using!
These may also affect other Pale Moon for Slackware.
Sorry for the lack of clarification.

The binaries provided by and downloaded from PaleMoon, which I then manually extract into /opt/palemoon, exhibit this behavior.
The slackbuild referenced in this thread, which also installs into /opt/palemoon, exhibit this behavior.
The pminstaller won't let me install a 32 bit package on a 64 bit system, so I can't actually test that version.

This also goes back several versions, I'm not sure when the problem first surfaced, but 26.x and 25.x both do it.

If I copy the 32 bit gdk-pixbuf files into the 64 bit directory (THIS IS A HORRIBLE HACK, IT WILL BREAK OTHER THINGS, NEVER DO THIS), it actually solves the problem. This tells me that 1) PM 32 bit would work if it looked in the right directory for the libs and 2) PM 32 bit really is looking in the 64 bit directory for the 32 bit libs.

So that eliminates the pminstaller and the slackbuild packages as being the culprit.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-12-01, 18:00

UPDATE:

I just tested this on a Slackware 14.2 box, and the 32 bit version properly accesses the 32 bit gdk-pixbuf libs. It does not do this on Slackware 14.1. It looks like something in Slackware 14.2 might have been "fixed"?

I will be updating a couple of 14.1 boxes to 14.2 next week, and I'll report back when I'm done.

I can also confirm on Slackware 14.2 that the 32 bit version will use adobe-reader to internally view PDF files, but the 64 bit version will not. This is because the adobe-reader itself is 32 bit, I don't think there is a 64 bit version available. I haven't yet found any other pdf viewer plugins that work, there are a few old ones, but they were all discontinued when FireFox added an internal PDF viewer. Why bother making one when FireFox already comes with one?

FWIW, updating to Slackware 14.2 fixed several other things. Slackware 14.1 really wasn't that great of a release, I'm finding more and more things that work in 14.2 that were flaky in 14.1.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-02, 02:38

I confirmed this package with 14.2 (and -Current). I have not confirmed 14.1.

Note: I do not mention SlackBuilds.org or Pale Moon official package.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-12-19, 19:53

I have a clean install of Slackware 14.2 64 bit, and PaleMoon 32 bit 27.0.2. I thought this was working in 14.2, but on a clean install I still get:

(pale moon:3365): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'view-refresh' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

And the various icons that depend on this lib do not display, including tabs and icon bar at top of browser.

I'm using the 32 bit version because I need seamless PDF viewing, which the PaleMoon devs removed from 27.x. The 64 bit version, sadly, gives this:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

Because the adobe reader is 32 bit only, and AFAIK there is no 64 bit version of adobe reader.

I seem to be right back where I started - broken 32 bit version of PaleMoon on 64 bit Slackware and no 64 bit pdf viewer plugin ... <sigh> ...

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-12-20, 20:18

SOLVED

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175587962/

On first time Palemoon startup you get:

(pale moon:9531): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

But if you run the above command, you are putting 64 bit info into what should be 32 bit loaders.cache, and this causes 32 bit Palemoon to look at 64 bit libs and subsequent wrong ELF class messages.

So the question is, is this a canned Palemoon message? If so, maybe the Palemoon devs can modify it to say this on 64 bit systems running 32 bit Palemoon:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-32 > /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

That will put the proper info into loaders.cache, and now we can all run 32 bit Palemoon on 64 bit Slackware.