Second copy in Launcher

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

Second copy in Launcher

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-11-08, 18:51

Hi, finally gone in all in with Ubuntu and loving it. A big thanks to Mr. Steve Pusser for the repository.

I'd like to have a second copy of PM in the Ubuntu-Launcher so my kids can use it without messing with my Bookmarks and Passwords. In the bad old days of windows (up until last week) I used two copies of portable PM in their own Folders then two links on the desktop.

How do I do that in Ubuntu? I know I can right-click and open a new copy, but it uses all the same data files.

Thanks

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Second copy in Launcher

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-11-08, 19:17

ThirdTryCharm wrote:Hi, finally gone in all in with Ubuntu and loving it. A big thanks to Mr. Steve Pusser for the repository.

I'd like to have a second copy of PM in the Ubuntu-Launcher so my kids can use it without messing with my Bookmarks and Passwords. In the bad old days of windows (up until last week) I used two copies of portable PM in their own Folders then two links on the desktop.

How do I do that in Ubuntu? I know I can right-click and open a new copy, but it uses all the same data files.

Thanks
Create separate accounts for your kids on the machine. Pale Moon's user config info/preferences/history/passwords/bookmarks/etc goes into a profile in "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon". Not only will you protect your Pale Moon bookmarks, you'll also protect your email, spreadsheets, and other personal info... until the kids realize that they can boot the machine with an install CD :twisted:
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

ThirdTryCharm

Re: Second copy in Launcher

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-11-08, 19:59

Walter Dnes wrote:Create separate accounts for your kids on the machine.
Ahhh, OK, thanks, just need to get with the new way of thinking.

Kids are OK, by the way. Trust is earned, not expected, demanded or a right of passage. They have our full trust. Damn, don't get me started on the general lack of honor in this "modern" World. :)