Need Help Debugging Google Play Video Complications...Flash? DRM? CDM?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Iam[2]

Need Help Debugging Google Play Video Complications...Flash? DRM? CDM?

Unread post by Iam[2] » 2016-10-18, 23:45

I downloaded the Atom build for Linux (Bodhi 3.2.1) yesterday and launch it from the archive folder. I preferred to try it before installation because, my repository only features the mammoth browsers Chrome and Firefox. I am migrating all the computers in our home to Bodhi or dual-boot Linux as some require Windows.

I have never been able to playback the movies we purchased for our son on Google Play with the migration to Bodhi. I know it is not Linux. I suspect Flash to be involved or, possibly the primary culprit. This weekend I updated 3.2.1 and this resulted in Firefox 49.0 being installed. The DRM content is enabled by default so and I also installed Google Widevine. Both are "Always Activated" so, I should have both DRM and CDM accounted for. Nonetheless, my test failed again resulting in the message, "Sorry, there was an error licensing this video."

The only other thought I have had is that maybe I was experiencing a latency issue? Note I always use the LAN for these purposes and never attempt Wifi for this application. I have ~ 6 GB/s ADSL service.

What can you suggest I look into next to resolve this issue? At the moment, I can play YouTube videos and Lego website videos yet, the latter also sumperimposes the message, "The requested video could not be loaded..." over the video as it was playing.

The FAQ indicates my best option is to download and install the GZIP version of a newer Flash. PPA's are not encouraged generally but, if this is a better alternative I will pursue it.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Need Help Debugging Google Play Video Complications...Flash? DRM? CDM?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-10-19, 23:24

Adobe has recently changed their minds, and now has the same version numbers for linux as for Windows. That should get rid of the "outdated-Flash" messages. I don't have it on my PC, but the Gentoo repository shows "adobe-flash-23.0.0.185" available. Check with your repository if version 23 is available.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Iam[2]

Unread post by Iam[2] » 2016-10-20, 03:12

I looked at this again, earlier this evening, and noticed PM can play any trailer. However, the movies I have purchased it will not. This suggests to me something with DRM or CDM in that trailers play fine for the same movies I have purchased. Note I have not yet added any extension or plugin to PM nor, changed a setting. It is as default as possible and appears to perform well with these trailers and YouTube videos.

My nightly reading for an answer to this issue identified this thread and it made me even less happy with my choice to purchase these electronic media. Maybe we migrate back to the DVD.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13355&p=94610&hilit=YouTube#p94610

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-10-24, 23:56

The 11.X NPAPI versions of Flash for Linux require either the old deprecated hal package or the tricky replacement to fool it, libhal1-flash, in order to get the license for DRM'd content. It's required for Hulu and Amazon Prime, for example.

I don't know if Adobe has added any DRM ability to the newer versions of NPAPI Flash; the last I looked, they hadn't.