Could not find program 'PalleMoon'

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dougmack

Could not find program 'PalleMoon'

Unread post by dougmack » 2016-09-20, 23:43

Running PCLinuxOS KDE 64, with PaleMoon 26.3.3.(64). I can add an internet application, like Zap2It (a program that shows a program guide for local TV channels) by right clicking an unused part of the
desktop, get "Create New >Link to Location(URL) > Create Link to Url Plasma Desktop Shell, which has a place to put a desired icon name, and a place to put the URL for the application. On a computer
using Firefox, when I select that icon on the desktop, it opens up Zap2It immediately. On a computer using PaleMoon, a box opens that says "Sorry - Plasma Desktop Shell Could not find the program
'PalleMoon OK" Then I click on OK, and THEN Zap2It opens. (The spelling of PalleMoon is what it shows.) I assume this is some sort of bug. Is there a fix for it? (Not the spelling! The whole misguided
error box!)

Thanx--doug

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Could not find program 'PalleMoon'

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-09-21, 01:52

I can't reproduce here on my Manjaro KDE machine (either the error message or the spelling). Is Pale Moon set as your default browser in KDE System Settings -> Applications?

dougmack

Unread post by dougmack » 2016-09-21, 02:05

Well, now I know where the misspelling came from! I had the name misspelled in the Applications preferences. But the error persists--it's just that now the error message spells the name right!

--doug

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-09-21, 02:39

Do you have Pale Moon in your PATH? What I do, is if I install it in /opt/ then I set up a symlink in /usr/bin/ like so...

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-21, 02:52

Walter Dnes wrote:Do you have Pale Moon in your PATH? What I do, is if I install it in /opt/ then I set up a symlink in /usr/bin/ like so...

I really wish you would stop recommending things contrary to the conventions we have in place.

http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/

dougmack

Unread post by dougmack » 2016-09-21, 05:52

PaleMoon is already in /usr/bin That's where the installer in pclos put it. (It's in the repos.)

I'm not actually familiar with "PATH" but the suggested link doesn't seem to make sense.

I've only been using Linux for about six years on a regular basis, and I'm still a novice in many areas!

Thanx for reading.--doug

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-09-21, 07:30

dougmack wrote:PaleMoon is already in /usr/bin That's where the installer in pclos put it. (It's in the repos.)
Installing from the repos, by convention, will always put it in /usr/bin whereas the recommended path in both a manual install and pminstaller script will put it in /opt.

Dare I suggest you uninstall, together with all config files, the repos version and use the pminstaller script for linux which works without a problem!

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-09-21, 16:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:I really wish you would stop recommending things contrary to the conventions we have in place.

http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/
I wasn't recommending it; i was pointing to one common cause of "program not found" messages, similar to what the OP encountered. BTW, the URL you quoted does document a manual install in /opt, and even includes the line of code...
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

dougmack

Unread post by dougmack » 2016-09-21, 20:25

I guess I have to live with it, or go back to Firefox. I ran the "complete uninstall" from synaptic, then I downloaded the installer (using FF, or course!) and ran the following:

[root@linux1 Downloads]# ./pminstaller.sh
which: no palemoon in (/tmp/pminstaller.GFYXzV/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.GFYXzV/tools:/tmp/pminstaller.GFYXzV/bin/x86_64:/tmp/pminstaller.GFYXzV/tools:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec:/usr/lib64/qt4/bin:/usr/lib64/qt5/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec:/bin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
ls: cannot access /usr/share/hunspell: No such file or directory
[root@linux1 Downloads]# ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/bin/palemoon’: File exists
I don't believe I need hunspell--I use artha as my dictionary. But if it's really necessary, it's in my repos.
Your website mentions that PCLinuxOS already has PaleMoon in its repos, so it assumes that it will work--which it does, except for this example.

Thanx for trying, folks--doug