[SOLVED] Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
RJules3
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

[SOLVED] Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Unread post by RJules3 » 2016-09-12, 05:20

On Libre.Fm the server frequently replies with an error 500 (at least for some months now). With Pale Moon only a blank page is displayed. With Iceweasel it's the same. The Vivaldi browser is displaying the error 500 giving the user an instant idea what's wrong (something on the server side).
Is there a setting in Pale Moon to get an error 500 indication? I couldn't find anything obvious in the preferences or on the about:config page.

Using Pale Moon Version: 26.4.0 (x64) on Devuan Jessie (Mate desktop environment / Fluxbox environment) / Devuan Ascii (xfce desktop environment)
Last edited by RJules3 on 2016-09-12, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-12, 06:08

I have seen browsers starting to put up their own information up for 4xx and 5xx errors but traditionally this is not within the browser's responsibility area and frankly it should never be. Servers handle 4xx and 5xx errors differently and it is normally up to the server runner if they will display information or not.

I am recommending RESOLVED INVALID as this is not in the area of what a browser should do. But you could write an extension to handle this if you wanted.

RJules3
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Unread post by RJules3 » 2016-09-12, 09:22

Thank you for the quick reply @Matt A Tobin!

As far as I understand your answer, there is no indication and there won't be one in Pale Moon. That's okay, my intention was not to start a discussion about responsibilities of servers and clients. Unfortunately a blank page doesn't provide a lot of information. Even the page source is empty, so where would you get the hint of a 500 error? At this moment my way is to open a different browser and taking a look there but may be this information is hidden somewhere in Pale Moon, too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: [SOLVED] Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-12, 09:32

HTTP Error 500 is an Internal Server Error likely generated by PHP or some active server side language.. If the server administrator has chosen not to print out error messages to the web which theoretically could reveal internal server paths such as the script or backtrace elements that could be data that should be kept out of the public hands that is their choice.

The browser presenting HTTP 4xx and 5xx error pages would make it seem like this is a problem with the client not the remote server.

How would YOU get information? Well if you control the server you would enable the errors to be printed out or check your error logs.. If the site is not yours.. Then it is not within your responsibilities or ours to care. Besides, 500 errors are just a header sent to the browser but the browser doesn't actually do much with it.

RJules3
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: [SOLVED] Missing Http Error 500 Indication

Unread post by RJules3 » 2016-09-12, 09:54

@Matt A Tobin ' ... Besides, 500 errors are just a header sent to the browser but the browser doesn't actually do much with it.'

This sentence pointed me to the place where to find the information:
PaleMoonErrorIndication2016-09-12_11-48-58.png
Thanks again!