Slackware: 64 bit version segfaults, 32 bit version is looking at 64 bit libs

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Zootal

Slackware: 64 bit version segfaults, 32 bit version is looking at 64 bit libs

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-06, 23:02

I have a clean install of slackware 64 bit. I have a clean install of both 64 bit and 32 bit verisons of palemoon.

The 64 bit version immediately segfaults on startup, no other errors, no log file that I an find, just BAM segmentation fault.

The 32 bit version runs, but is missing icons in the toolbar. In the console I see a lot of lines like this:

Error loading theme icon 'edit-undo' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Which tells me that the 32 bit version is look at 64 bit libraries, hence the missing icons. A long time ago I knew how to fix this, but I've long since forgotten. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have no clue why the 64 bit version segfaults - is there a log somewhere that would shed some light on this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: 64 bit version segfaults, 32 bit version is looking at 64 bit libs

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-07, 00:10

I guess we don't really support slackware at this point. there have been some specific attempts to build for it with mixed results.
The last one specifically built for slackware was by Ketmar which took some work to get running.
Maybe ketmar can provide some insight into what exactly is needed.

http://slackware.palemoon.org has the slackware builds created (25.8.0 latest, looks like, so not current).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-07, 00:25

Thanks for the response. I had this working at one point, but it's been a while. I'll keep looking and see what it takes to get it running on slackware, I'm guessing some sort of dependency, but it segfaults without any error or log entry.

If i find anything of interest, I'll post here...

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-07, 00:43

I found the packaging script for 25.8.1, and built both 25.8.1 and 26.3.3, but the problem appears to be the current version of Slackware itself. Not sure what changed, this used to work, and work well and in fact works on older versions of Slackware. They (the Slackware devs) updated something within the last few weeks, and it's playing havoc with several of my packages, and it looks like PaleMoon is yet another victim...

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-07, 01:54

This is actually not a fix, it is a hack for testing purposes. I renamed my /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders directory, and copied the 32 bit files over for testing purposes. The error goes away, and the icons work as expected.

So the problem is definitely that PaleMoon 64 bit is looking in the 32 bit library directory and ignoring the 64 bit library. Still trying to figure out how to force it to use the 64 bit libs. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib didn't work, it still looked into /usr/lib64. I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe I'll take a shot at building from source. To be continued....

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-07, 03:39

I rolled back to Slackware 14.1. PaleMoon works as expected. Something changed in Slackware 14.2, I don't know what, but it breaks PaleMoon.

rollo

Re: Slackware: 64 bit version segfaults, 32 bit version is looking at 64 bit libs

Unread post by rollo » 2016-08-07, 12:32

Earlier this year Pale Moon and FossaMail ran on my installed Salix 14.2 alpha. These were broken after an update along with the Otter browser.

Error report said only segmentation fault. SeaMonkey and Vivaldi still worked.

The other day glibc was mentioned here or at linuxquestions as the culprit.

Got the 14.2 disc from Slackware. Today installing and running PM via the PM installer (oldest version x64 24.2.2 I believe) returned:

Code: Select all

(process:2205): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Segmentation fault

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Slackware: 64 bit version segfaults, 32 bit version is looking at 64 bit libs

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-07, 19:41

rollo wrote:Today installing and running PM via the PM installer (oldest version x64 24.2.2 I believe) returned:

(process:2205): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Segmentation fault
That is a unrelated (and despite what it says), non-critical error that was fixed in Pale Moon 25.4. It is not the cause of the segfault.

rollo

Unread post by rollo » 2016-08-14, 12:16

Eh, ok.

LQ forum now has a thread about a Brave Slackbuild.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2016-08-20, 22:05

I've been putting this off for a long time, but until I (or the PaleMoon devs) figure out the segfault with the 64 bit version, this is going to be goodbye to PaleMoon for me. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually, but I need a browser that works. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them. I've got Chrome working, though I much prefer the PaleMoon UI.

rollo

Unread post by rollo » 2016-08-23, 12:58

Zootal wrote:I need a browser that works. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.
The Brave Slackbuild installed but crashes. The IceCat Slackbuild works with no issues.

rollo

Unread post by rollo » 2016-08-23, 19:05

Spoke too soon. IceCat has some sort of problem with certificates/handshakes/security.

Palermoon

Unread post by Palermoon » 2016-08-26, 18:32

IIRC, I saw similar behaviour and the culprit turned out to be something to do with my desktop theme or theme engine. I can't guarantee this will work, but try changing to a different one. I haven't had this issue since and Palemoon has always ran on my Slackware 14.1 and 14.2.

rollo

Unread post by rollo » 2016-08-29, 21:39

Upgraded as mentioned in another thread and PM is working now on 14.2

rollo

Unread post by rollo » 2016-10-02, 15:45

In case anyone is still unable to get PM to work on Slackware- there is now a light-firefox 48 SlackBuild available.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-02, 21:27

rollo wrote:In case anyone is still unable to get PM to work on Slackware- there is now a light-firefox 48 SlackBuild available.
Always good to have options, wah :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite