Installing to Mate 32-bit Pentium M Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DanceMan

Installing to Mate 32-bit Pentium M

Unread post by DanceMan » 2016-03-15, 02:46

Have tried to install Pale Moon to an old Thinkpad T41 (first gen Pentium M 32-bit non-PAE) that has Linux Mint Mate 17.3 installed and is running Firefox. I ran the PM installer 0.2.1 from /home/username/downloads and get the error msg:

Could not open the file /home/username/Downloads/pminstaller-0.2.1/pminstaller.sh

Attempting in terminal by pasting in: ~/pminstaller.sh (and hit enter) brings this error msg:

bash: /home/username/pminstaller.sh: No such file or directory

I have both the PM installer and the PM file in the /Downloads folder in extracted form. I see today there is a newer installer file but I suspect whatever mistake I'm making will still apply. Any help appreciated. I have PM running in two Core2 Duo laptops running Mint Cinnamon.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Installing to Mate 32-bit Pentium M

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-03-15, 04:24

Some file managers treat pminstaller.sh as a regular text file and will try to open it as such. Right click pminstaller.sh, choose properties and ensure that the file is allowed to run as an executable.

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2016-03-15, 05:30

Hi,

I see 3 different locations in the filesystem:

DanceMan wrote:Could not open the file /home/username/Downloads/pminstaller-0.2.1/pminstaller.sh
and
Attempting in terminal by pasting in: ~/pminstaller.sh (and hit enter) brings this error msg:
where the "~" is correctly translated into "/home/username/"

and
I have both the PM installer and the PM file in the /Downloads folder in extracted form.

If the last statement is correct and pminstaller.sh is extracted in "/Downloads" the correct path is "~/Downloads/pminstaller.sh" or the equivalent "/home/username/Downloads/pminstaller.sh".

In that case both paths you have tried were wrong.

However you can use caja - the mate filemanager - to navigate to downloads and just double click in pminstaller.sh, you will be asked to run it in a terminal (you can do that) or view it or execute it (you can do that too).

HTH Tom

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-03-16, 01:38

Also, you should use the newest version of the installer, 0.2.2.

DanceMan

Unread post by DanceMan » 2016-03-17, 01:33

Thanks for the help. Used Tomtiger's suggestions to get the path correct in the terminal (with the addition of the name of the folder that held pminstaller.sh after extracting) and it is successfully installed.