[Solved (workaround)]Flashplayer crashes almost every time when trying to play a video

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wudu83

[Solved (workaround)]Flashplayer crashes almost every time when trying to play a video

Unread post by wudu83 » 2016-02-23, 14:42

Hi,

I recently heard of Palemoon and it's benefits. So I wantet to give it a try. It feels very good to use but I have a problem playing flash videos. Almost every time trying it says "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. Reload the page to try again". It doesn't crash the whole browser.

I'm on Arch Linux 64 bit. The flasplayer is version 11.2.202.569-1 (latest as of today). I tried these Palemoon AUR packages: palemoon 26.1.0-1, palemoon-bin 26.1.0-1, palemoon-git 26.1.0b1+d756344-1. I also tried the "bzipped tarball" directly. All show the same behaviour.

I searched the web and found solutions for other flash crashes which were solved by disabling Protected mode. I tried that by adding "ProtectedMode=0" to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg. I can tell that it's recognize because it changes behaviour slightly. With that option the whole browser freezes for some seconds when trying to play flash video, then it starts responding again but the Flash plugin still crashes.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Last edited by wudu83 on 2016-02-27, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Flashplayer crashes almost every time when trying to play a video

Unread post by biopsin » 2016-02-24, 08:04

Hi,
I think Adobe stop develop flash for linux long time ago, you should switch to chromium-pepper-flash for now.
Make shure you have freshplayerplugin installed and then download, unpack chrome and move /PepperFlash to /lib/chromium-pepper-flash

Use this link http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/google_chrome to get latest version.
then unpack deb "ar x downloaded_version.deb" and untar payload "tar xf data.tar.xz" move /PepperFlash folder to /lib/chromium-pepper-flash and set owner to root. restart palemoon and check config:plugins

also understand plugin is not sandboxed, so get to know firejail maybe..
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.78 / selfcompiled latest Palemoon (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-02-24, 08:23

You dont need to download chrome as the non-free pepperflash is already in the linux repos and can be installed from there.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

wudu83

Unread post by wudu83 » 2016-02-24, 12:15

Some time after starting this thread I stumbled over the "Linux specific information" thread and saw the Freshplayer/Pepperflash entry. Both packages are available for Arch in AUR.
I tried it and got Palemoon to use Pepperflash. The videos started playing without the plugin to crash but unfortunately they don't play well. It's more like a slideshow so that is not an option.

I'm not sure about the Adobe Flash development. It still gets updates but perhaps it's just security fixes.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-02-24, 16:19

v11.2 of flash for linux will receive security updates for 5 years after its release.It still functions just fine as im using it with no issues.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

wudu83

Unread post by wudu83 » 2016-02-27, 23:44

Hi,

it seems that I have a solution/workaround for my problem. I found this askubuntu thread: http://askubuntu.com/questions/117127/f ... pears-blue. I know it's a different topic but it was sugested in another thread about crashes which I can't find anymore.
I used the "Prevent Flash Player from finding libvdpau" workaround and had no Flash crashes so far.