Running two profiles at once?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cfalcon

Running two profiles at once?

Unread post by cfalcon » 2016-02-11, 16:45

I want to run two Pale Moons at the same time, each launched from a different profile directory. I want each running a different theme, etc. I have this working, but not at the same time.

(I want one where I'm logged into a google account and one where I'm not)

First, I copied the directory specified into a new one:

mkdir ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/email_only
cp -rf ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/<whatever this directory is>/* ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/email_only

At this point, my standard launcher (I'll call this "Launcher A") runs Pale Moon normally. I logged out of gmail in that one, and if Pale Moon is not running, it launches and doesn't have me logged in. It also uses the Noia Moon theme, after I set that.
Also, I can launch Pale Moon with another shortcut- palemoon -profile "/home/<username>/.moonchild productions/email_only". I'll call this "Launcher B".

Launcher B runs Pale Moon with the XMoon theme, and it has me logged into gmail.

The problem, stated above is that while I can run Launcher A (and get what I want) or Launcher B (and get what I want), I can't get BOTH to run at the same time- if I ran with Launcher A, Launcher B just opens up another default window of A, and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure what I want is two separate processes, instead of the second command line seeing a pale moon is running and then just telling it to open a new window.

Suggestions?

half-moon

Re: Running two profiles at once?

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-02-11, 16:58

You could probably run one process as your current user and run the other process as another user.

cfalcon

Unread post by cfalcon » 2016-02-11, 17:37

I'm not sure how to set that up properly. I don't want to have to type a password, nor do I want to create a user that has no password. There's probably some way to set up my user to have the ability to run stuff as a second user without adding any drama, but I don't know that either. Would you know how to go about doing this?

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-02-12, 10:41

I have been running two separate profiles with Pale Moon for a long time and for even longer with Firefox before that. One profile is for normal web use and a special higher security profile for banking. Both or either started from separate launchers on the panel or Whisker menu.

My normal web profile is started as normal and the secure banking profile has the -no-remote option added to the launcher script.

I can use either or both at the same time without problem with -no-remote option but I did have problems with the -new-instance option.

Try adding the -no-remote option to both launchers, although I use it only on one instance.

A good source of command line uses for Firefox can be found at this page https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ne_Options
All seem to work with Pale Moon.

HTH

cfalcon

Unread post by cfalcon » 2016-02-12, 16:02

Haha I love that I couldn't find that there was a "-new-instance" option. That one worked for me, but if I have troubles I'll check into the no-remote.

Thanks!

EDIT:

It's been a few months and this has been working fine for me. I spun up a new box, and copied over my home directory, but apparently lost my xfce launcher settings. This meant that I had to regenerate them, and when I got to the Pale Moon guys I couldn't remember the command line, so I found this thread and remade them, and they worked instantly. But it occurred to me that at no point did I post the actual working launcher strings.

Launcher A:
palemoon %u -new-instance
Launcher B:
palemoon -new-instance -profile "/home/cfalcon/.moonchild productions/email_only"

(obviously replace "cfalcon" with your Linux user, unless you are also a huge F-Zero fan)