Automatically recognized pipelight+Silverlight

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jennC

Automatically recognized pipelight+Silverlight

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-06, 19:39

Moderator note: relocated to new thread.
I'm not sure where to post this....... If this is the wrong place, I apologize and you can certainly move it.

I was doing some searches today looking for a darn browser that I would finally like. I have a long history of firefox. I hate chrome and haven't used IE in years as I also hate windows..

I run Debian Jessie and prior to today was using Firefox. One biggie with me was the installation of pipelight so I could watch netflix on linux. Had it working perfectly as it was. My "user agent overrider" was installed on firefox as well.

And today I found Pale Moon and I love it. I even love the name!! What a great name for a browser..! But the biggest surprise was that "I guess" it recognized pipelight" (???) from the mozilla plugins folder and auto installed the silverlight plugin (???). The biggest surprise is that I do NOT have a agent overrider installed in pale moon but I am watching NetFlicks right now with my silverlight plugin from pipelight. I installed a lot of plugins in palemoon and something in PaleMoon asked me how I wanted to be identified and I chose IE. I repeat >> I do NOT have an overrider installed in PaleMoon. I actually doublechecked this in the myplugins and my extensions folders and no overrider is there. But I have netflix!! I even went though all the preferences to the existing plugins to see if something there could have possibly given me the choice of using IE. I see nothing.

If I knew for sure that it would not mess up palemoon, I would uninstall firefox to free up space. I chose my download as a full folder that I just sat in some folder in the computer and it is self contained, which I like very much. I just downloaded it, clicked the icon in the folder and there it was.

The only thing in these pics that are here that can't be seen is UBLock Origin..
plugins.jpeg
extensions.jpeg
Thank you for a great browser!
Jenn Cribbs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jennC on 2016-01-07, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

troypulk

Re: Automatically installed pipelight+Silverlight?

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-01-06, 20:48

Read this:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10216

Netflix will not work in Palemoon on Linux.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2016-01-07, 01:41

troypulk wrote:Read this:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10216

Netflix will not work in Palemoon on Linux.
That's going to be true *eventually*, assuming that Netflix pulls Silverlight/Pipelight support completely and go over to EME for everything. Right now it sounds like it *does* work- via the Pipeline extension accessing the Silverlight-compatible versions of the movies and television shows, according to the original poster. :)

The EME thing if it becomes a necessity to access YouTube and Netflix is going to be a huge issue for Pale Moon on both Windows and Linux if the future unfolds according the vision of the people behind EME (Although Netflix does have a Windows 10 "Metro" style app in the Windows store- so the solution might be to have users install that and use that to watch movies in the app rather than in their browser- but I'm not sure everyone is going to be happy with that, especially given that it's a metro-style app, and the metro style apps I've tried are so to load and clunk compared to their in-browser or "legacy" Windows program style counterparts).

However, I'm still holding out hope that a plug-in will be created by the companies behind EME for small browser users who want it to download it. It's a given that some Linux distros will not "ship" Firefox with EME installed (proprietary code in an open-sourced container). So there's likely, one would think, going to be a module for Firefox, I wonder if small browsers like Pale Moon could be given permission to use that module as a user installable add-on provided they could adapt their browser to hook into it without changing the proprietary code. I doubt it, because it seems like Google is driving that ship, and Google does not play nice with small browsers, typically (And has kind of a weird relationship with open source, where, yes, there are open sourced versions of Chrome and Android with different branding, but where forks are heavily discouraged [Any company that uses the official Android branding on any phone and/or wants access to the Google Play Store has to sign a contract not to put any sort of Android fork on any sort of device]), but they might do it to encourage adoption.

If either Google or Mozilla were the friend of browser competition and innovation, and open-source software that they claim to be, they would push for EME to be a downloadable like Flash or Silverlight that could work with a variety of browsers. Google has always claimed that they didn't care if Chrome got big marketshare or not, they just wanted a browser in the "race" to push innovation forward, which is why they said they were funding Firefox through that search deal they used to have with them. And of course Mozilla was supposedly a non-profit geared towards user choice, though now a corporation that seems to want to inhibit it. I'd like to think there's a chance that one or both of these groups might go back to their supposed principles and stick up for the "little guy" browsers and forks and offer them a way to make an EME add-on available.

It's also possible that EME just won't fully catch on with a solid enough majority of the market that sites like Netflix will feel comfortable not maintaining a fallback protocol like the Silverlight.

Anyway, I hope this hypothetical issue in the long-term future won't discourage the original poster from his enthusiastic adoption of Pale Moon. Right now, all is well. Hypothetical issues may never become actual issues. And, frankly, I am more confident about the long-term future of Pale Moon than of Firefox (Seriously- I think Mozilla is going to drive Firefox so far into the ground that by the time they go belly up and offer the code around, people may opt to adopt or fork Pale Moon instead to replace it rather than forking the final version of Firefox. And it's possible that Mozilla's last act will be to transfer the rights to the Firefox branding to a company or organization that some will not be enthusiastic about continuing with).

Actually, one thing I would be trying to do behind the scenes if I were the Pale Moon devs is to try to subtly create bridges and better relations with the volunteer non-Mozilla employee Firefox volunteers. At some point, those people are going to likely to be looking to jump ship- and it'd be nice if they landed at Pale Moon. :)

It'd also be nice if, theoretically, when/if Mozilla bites the dust, those developers and users could be pointed towards Pale Moon rather than doing their own new fork. If Pale Moon can pick up marketshare and improve relations with Mozilla, maybe Pale Moon could even wind up with the Firefox trademark and point out two identical browsers with different logos and artwork. :) Probably a pipe dream, but stranger things have happened.

jennC

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-07, 04:21

Mine is working just fine.... netflix, pipelight, debian jessie ....etc... :lol:

As you can see from my screenshots below... :mrgreen:

LOADING:::
loading.jpeg
PLAYING:::
playing.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jennC

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-07, 04:41

I hope this hypothetical issue in the long-term future won't discourage the original poster from his enthusiastic adoption of Pale Moon
Not at all. Netflix is not why I choose a browser.

I have a dual boot situation on the computer with windows 8.1 and Debian Jessie on the other end of the spectrum. Netflix is not a problem for me, whether PaleMoon has it or not. I was just pleasantly surprised. I don't use Windows. It's for my husband who need MS Word for his job. We keep windows only for that purpose. I have used Linux for years and years.

Originally I had the silverlight plugin working on firefox or foxfire...whichever... And since I am running PaleMoon with "firefox compatibility", palemoon evidently looked in those default places for plugins.. When I had originally installed pipelight, last year, firefox would not recognize it and the plugin would not install. So I created my own plugin folder and mapped Firefox to it. I can see that PaleMoon found the original folder with the plugins and auto recognized silverlight and installed it for me. It was just a very pleasant surprise which then gave me cause to then explore PaleMoon more fully. I really like it and have made it my default browser.

It is a beautiful browser and the available pop up blockers actually work. I have not seen one single popup. It works absolutely perfect on my system. All the flaws that I keep reading about in this forum -- I am wondering if they are user errors. No offense to anyone, but this browser is a smooth ride.
plug1.jpeg
plug2.jpeg

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-01-07, 15:41

jennC wrote:Mine is working just fine.... netflix, pipelight, debian jessie ....etc... :lol:
How did you bypass the "Encrypted Media Extensions" of Netflix in PM?

Please share exactly what you did?

I am running SolydX 64bit EE - Debian Testing, I have been trying to get this to work for awhile. I changed the UserAgent in PM to look like FF 42 and IE 11 to no avail. I keep running into the EME issue.

I'm trying to do it with out pipelight because Netflix has an option to use HTML5 so I have been trying to get that to work.

IIRC Debian Testing doesn't have pipelight and/or I don't remember why I wanted to use HTML5

If it works for you just because of pipelight I think I might look at that again.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-01-07, 22:51

CharmCityCrab wrote:If either Google or Mozilla were the friend of browser competition and innovation, and open-source software that they claim to be, they would push for EME to be a downloadable like Flash or Silverlight that could work with a variety of browsers.
Correction: They wouldn't support it all, even on their own platforms.

jennC

Re: Automatically recognized pipelight+Silverlight

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-08, 07:30

It's 1:30 where I am at.
I will post what I did tomorrow when I get up.

Jenn

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-01-14, 22:05

troypulk wrote:
jennC wrote:Mine is working just fine.... netflix, pipelight, debian jessie ....etc... :lol:
How did you bypass the "Encrypted Media Extensions" of Netflix in PM?

Please share exactly what you did?

I am running SolydX 64bit EE - Debian Testing, I have been trying to get this to work for awhile. I changed the UserAgent in PM to look like FF 42 and IE 11 to no avail. I keep running into the EME issue.

I'm trying to do it with out pipelight because Netflix has an option to use HTML5 so I have been trying to get that to work.

IIRC Debian Testing doesn't have pipelight and/or I don't remember why I wanted to use HTML5

If it works for you just because of pipelight I think I might look at that again.
I know that Google Chrome ships closed-source binary blobs (libwidevinecdm.so and libwidevinecdmadapter.so) in Linux to enable the HTML 5 copy protection on Netflix. I believe that's currently the only way to get HTML5 Netflix playback currently on Linux. The only other way to get it is via pipelight, which you can get for Debian testing by following the installation directions: http://pipelight.net/cms/install/instal ... ebian.html

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-01-16, 17:00

stevepusser wrote:I know that Google Chrome ships closed-source binary blobs (libwidevinecdm.so and libwidevinecdmadapter.so) in Linux to enable the HTML 5 copy protection on Netflix. I believe that's currently the only way to get HTML5 Netflix playback currently on Linux. The only other way to get it is via pipelight, which you can get for Debian testing by following the installation directions: http://pipelight.net/cms/install/instal ... ebian.html
Thanks,

I know I can do it using Chromium or installing Pipelight, I just wanted to just use my main browser PM so I'm experimenting and trying too find a way to just use one browser.

It's not a big deal, I don't watch Netflix anyway, but I have a free account if I want too, if I find myself wanting to watch netflix I'll just switch browsers.