Pale Moon becomes sluggish if left open

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jooch

Pale Moon becomes sluggish if left open

Unread post by jooch » 2015-12-17, 20:44

Well the title sums it up, but here's what happens on my Manjaro x64 machine.

I start the system and open Pale Moon.
Browse a website (one tab, no flash).
Leave the computer running and return a day or two later.
When i return Pale Moon has become sluggish and even something simple as copying text to the clipboard almost locks up the browser.
Restart Pale Moon and everything is fine again.

Can't figure this one out, memory leak or something? I have tried it without Add ons, but the effect is the same.

Machine specs:
  • AMD Athlon 7750
    Uli Chipset
    Geforce 9400GT (Nvidia 340 drivers)
    Manjaro Openbox x86_64
    RAM 2GB, Swap 2GB
Cheers, Jooch

Tharn

Re: Pale Moon becomes sluggish if left open

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-12-18, 01:05

Have you checked memory consumption and CPU? I recommend htop for this. Not sure if the Openbox spin has it by default, but it might.

Tried reproducing it with hardware acceleration off?

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2015-12-19, 15:33

Certainly! I always use htop, great tool. CPU is about 1 to 2 percent in use, but that's just background services.

Good suggestion on the hardware acceleration, i turned it off and currently running PM for 18 hours without errors

broadstairs

Unread post by broadstairs » 2015-12-19, 17:33

Interesting, I've only just started using Palemoon but so far I've not seen an issue while it has been left for 8+ hours on an AMD quad core with AMD graphics and 8gb main memory. I do have h/w acceleration set to on. I will keep an eye on it. I use Fedora X86-64.

Stuart

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-20, 15:10

jooch wrote:Certainly! I always use htop, great tool. CPU is about 1 to 2 percent in use, but that's just background services.

Good suggestion on the hardware acceleration, i turned it off and currently running PM for 18 hours without errors
It's likely an issue with it being poorly supported on your particular combination of OS/driver/hardware. Glad it got solved!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2015-12-21, 21:13

Still running the same sessions without errors, it is settled then i guess.
However, is there any way to trace this bug? Running PM from a terminal doesn't reveal anything...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-21, 22:22

Tracing these kinds of issues is extremely difficult. Unfortunately Linux-based operating systems are notoriously hard to deal with in terms of HWA and troubleshooting thereof because of the variety in not just kernel hardware support and drivers, but also the window manager layer and other abstracting layers between it and the browser... :/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2015-12-23, 07:24

Darn, i was afraid you would say that. I switched the Nvidia card for a Radeon 4870 i had laying around and set that up with the open source drivers. Usually that should play nice with any setting.

The issue is resolved in this setup, no more lagging or performance issues. Thus it is a problem with the propriety Nvidia driver and card combination.
Not that this solves the overall problem, but it's possibly useful information.

BTW: Is the acceleration part updated to Firefox's latest code? Or would that be version 25?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-23, 12:59

jooch wrote:BTW: Is the acceleration part updated to Firefox's latest code? Or would that be version 25?
Neither. And we don't want Firefox's "latest code" either because it's terrible.