about:config settings for h.264/mp4 support?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

about:config settings for h.264/mp4 support?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2015-12-12, 04:50

I've manually built the Atom source 25.8_Atom_Relbranch with gstreamer support enabled. I've installed gstreamer-0.10-x, and corresponding base/good/bad/ugly plugins. Youtube doesn't see h.264 support, and neither does http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html My Google search turned up nothing useful. The about:config contains...

media.gstreamer.enabled; true
media.ogg.enabled; true
media.opus.enabled; true
media.wave.enabled; true
media.webaudio.enabled; true
media.webm.enabled; true

I've read several threads here, but no help. I created a new test profile, with no luck. Any further ideas?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: about:config settings for h.264/mp4 support?

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-12-12, 06:41

You likely need gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg installed in addition to the plugins.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-12-12, 16:57

trava90 wrote:You likely need gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg installed in addition to the plugins.
That's true, but if it's Debian Testing it will probably not work.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2015-12-12, 19:00

trava90 wrote:You likely need gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg installed in addition to the plugins.
Thank you very much. That was the solution. Youtube shows HTMLVideoElement, H.264, and WebM VP8 available.and all 3 videos on http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html play properly for me.
troypulk wrote:That's true, but if it's Debian Testing it will probably not work.
I'm on Gentoo. Heads up for any other Gentoo users. The location of the plugin-ebuilds is a bit confusing. gstreamer, gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly, gst-rtsp-server, and gstreamer-editing-services are in the media-libs subdirectory. But gst-plugins-ffmpeg, and 77 others, are in the media-plugins subdirectory.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2015-12-13, 01:58

Further details... I removed gst-plugins (good/bad/ugly) and neither Youtube nor the quirksmode site showed h.264 support. More experimentation indicates that for h.264 support on Youtube and quirksmode, I need the following...
  • gstreamer
  • gst-plugins-base
  • gst-plugins-good
  • gst-plugins-ffmpeg
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way