Global Addons/Langpacks

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderator: trava90

Lord_Brezel

Global Addons/Langpacks

Post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-11-30, 14:20

Where are the proper locations to put LanguagePacks and Addons for system wide installation?
I have put them in /opt/palemoon/browser/extensions, but they dont seem to be picked up on first launch.

jumba

Re: Global Addons/Langpacks

Post by jumba » 2015-12-04, 05:42

Did you get a warning of new addon install when you launched Pale Moon or did nothing happen?

also do you have Pale Moon installed on /opt? (just to be sure..)

Lord_Brezel

Post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-12-04, 12:33

Did not get a prompt for installing.
Yes /opt/palemoon

Guess I will premake a profile that gets copied into /etc/skel
But then I will still not be able to update extensions systemwide because skel only gets used on usercreation.
And have to be privileged in order to update shit. Meh thats annoying.
Could outright make an entire package for the exts and a config update script that propagates systemwide changes to userprofiles.
All complicated.
Isnt there an easy way to autodeploy and manage Palemoon?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2015-12-04, 13:08

Try using /distribution/extensions under the application dir, not just /extensions
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

Lord_Brezel

Post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-12-04, 16:33

I want to bypass the installation prompt. I read about the extensions database file. But for example installed extensions are somehow unpacked into a folder with an UID as name. Does it matter if they are unpacked?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2015-12-04, 17:41

You may want to have a look at Mike Kaply's blog, specifically: https://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/09/integ ... o-firefox/

Please understand that you can only do this for private deployments, e.g. for you only or within a closed organization, or when not using official branding if you're publicly distributing Pale Moon this way. All other deployments will need my permission.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

jumba

Post by jumba » 2015-12-04, 18:01

And in the another blog post he explains how the pref works, extension.autoDisableScopes:
https://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/21/under ... on-scopes/

Lord_Brezel

Post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-12-04, 19:08

@redistributionrestrictions

Sure thing, its only for internal use. I wont spread modded Palemoon packages on the internet without asking you. But I consider rebranding it anyway just for the sake of it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2015-12-04, 20:00

Lord_Brezel wrote:I wont spread modded Palemoon packages on the internet without asking you.
Perfect :) Thank you.

Just seems like lately especially I have had to remind just about everyone of this :P -- nothing personal, just making sure it's understood.