Address bar was acting like search bar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Address bar was acting like search bar

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-11-03, 00:45

I just had a weird occurrence in Linux Pale Moon (this never happened in Windows). I just opened Pale Moon and did a copy & paste into the address bar (a web address, of course) and pressed enter. Instead of the webpage opening up, I got search results in Wikipedia, which was the current search plug-in showing in the search bar. I copy/pasted again and same thing happened. I then changed the search plug-in to DDG and then got search results in DDG. I closed Pale Moon and restarted it, and then everything was back to normal. Just thought I'd report this as I don't recall seeing this problem in a thread before. If it happens again, I'll post back here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Address bar was acting like search bar

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-11-03, 00:53

This can happen if there is a char like a space or invisible char before or in the url around the scheme. Just type it manually and tell me if it happens.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Address bar was acting like search bar

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-11-03, 01:24

Matt A Tobin wrote:
This can happen if there is a char like a space or invisible char before or in the url around the scheme.
I didn't think/know of that. Unfortunately I already deleted the text file that contained the url. However, I don't think this was the case, because when I restarted Pale Moon, I pasted the same thing in and it worked fine then. I can't remember though if I went back to the text file and recopied the address, or not. There shouldn't have been a space before or after the url in the text file; the only text in the file was the url.