Can't obtain the source code

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Can't obtain the source code

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-06, 13:11

Hello. I am currently using 26.5. I tried to move to newer versions, but it requires a newer version of glibc than I have on my system. So I decided to download the source code on github and compile it. However, when the download is done and I double click on it to open, it gives an error message, saying that there was some kind of issue in the end of file. I tried more than once, and it never works. I know there is the clone command on git that downloads the source, I used it myself in naother projects, but I do not know the link, which I believe has to end in ".git" to download through git.

So I would deeply appreciate if someone find the link to me, or tell me how to obtain the source code.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't obtain the source code

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-06, 15:09

The correct repo for this is

Code: Select all

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git
In it, you want to get the tagged commit "26.5.0_Release" to get the correct code point to build the release version of 26.5.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-10-06, 18:50

coltson wrote:Hello. I am currently using 26.5. I tried to move to newer versions, but it requires a newer version of glibc than I have on my system. So I decided to download the source code on github and compile it. However, when the download is done and I double click on it to open, it gives an error message, saying that there was some kind of issue in the end of file. I tried more than once, and it never works. I know there is the clone command on git that downloads the source, I used it myself in naother projects, but I do not know the link, which I believe has to end in ".git" to download through git.

So I would deeply appreciate if someone find the link to me, or tell me how to obtain the source code.
Do you want the source code for 28.1.0, since you said you're already running 26.5?

Your version of Linux might be pretty old, too, if the glibc is too old to run the binaries from PM. 28.1.0 needs a minimum of gcc-4.9 to build...what version of Linux are you running?

coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-06, 19:39

stevepusser wrote:
coltson wrote:28.1.0 needs a minimum of gcc-4.9 to build...what version of Linux are you running?
Ubuntu 10.04. That is very unfortunately, because that means I will have to download a newer gcc (it's 4.4.3 on it), compile it and figure out how to set environment variables to make the Palemoon's binary version to find the newer glib, or pick up the source version and change the configure as to use the newer glibc.

Do you know what's the minimum gcc to build the 27.0 version?
In it, you want to get the tagged commit "26.5.0_Release" to get the correct code point to build the release version of 26.5.0
Thanks, although I don't know if it will be useful after the information that stevepusser told me
Last edited by coltson on 2018-10-06, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-10-06, 20:44

Pale Moon 27.x requires at least gcc 4.7 (which likely is still too new for your system).

To be honest I don't think you're going to be able to run a newer version of Pale Moon without first upgrading to a distro that is not 8 years old.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-10-07, 17:55

Yes, the oldest Ubuntu I've been able to build it for is 14.04, and that only by using a PPA for it that has a newer gcc than its 4.8. That PPA doesn't have any packages for 10.04 at all.

coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-08, 21:24

trava90 wrote:Pale Moon 27.x requires at least gcc 4.7 (which likely is still too new for your system).

To be honest I don't think you're going to be able to run a newer version of Pale Moon without first upgrading to a distro that is not 8 years old.
Perhaps. If I can compile a newer gcc and figure out how to set environment variables to make Palemoon find the newer glibc it's possible in theory, I guess.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-10-09, 02:02

27.9.4 is no longer supoorted, but if you want... a couple of options...
  1. I still have my CentOS 6.5 chroot kicking around from when I used to do the SSE-specific build. I could do a more standard build of 27.9.4 for you if you want.
  2. If you prefer, I can give you instructions on setting up a build environment to do-it-yourself. It takes a few hours, mostly waiting for GCC 4.9.4 and python 2.7 to compile (also YASM). I can PM you the build environment directory structure in a tar file. Doing it the first time is always the hardest.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-09, 18:38

Walter Dnes wrote:27.9.4 is no longer supoorted, but if you want... a couple of options...
  1. I still have my CentOS 6.5 chroot kicking around from when I used to do the SSE-specific build. I could do a more standard build of 27.9.4 for you if you want.
  2. If you prefer, I can give you instructions on setting up a build environment to do-it-yourself. It takes a few hours, mostly waiting for GCC 4.9.4 and python 2.7 to compile (also YASM). I can PM you the build environment directory structure in a tar file. Doing it the first time is always the hardest.
Thanks for the help.
I think I want to try set up the building environment. If that does not work, then I can go to first option. I already have a yasm 1.3-64 that I compiled for other stuff. I have python 2.6.5 that came with the Ubuntu, but it's probably too old, right? I already have downloaded the gcc 4.9.4, but I think I currently don't have enough space to compile it (between 2 and 2.5GB of free space). I will try to free more space, in the meanwhile you can send the instructions.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-10-09, 21:47

coltson wrote:I already have downloaded the gcc 4.9.4, but I think I currently don't have enough space to compile it (between 2 and 2.5GB of free space). I will try to free more space, in the meanwhile you can send the instructions.
Ouch! You'll need more like absolute minimum 4 gigabytes (preferably 8) free space AFTER building gcc and python and downloading the Pale Moon source code. What are the specs on your machine? (ram, diskspace, cpu, and cpu speed). Building Pale Moon from source is not recommended on old low-spec machines, and will often fail outright due to lack of diskspce/ram.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-10, 06:05

Walter Dnes wrote:will often fail outright due to lack of diskspce/ram.
Not just that, low-spec machines often produce very unstable binaries because of memory pressure during compilation causing code optimization to break.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-10-11, 20:21

If you're just running that old Ubuntu because it's an older machine, there are plenty of modern distro releases that will still run on older hardware, including some that have PM in their repos already. I think that installing and using one of those will be a lot less work & trouble and yield better results that what you're trying to do on 10.04!

Like riding a loaded bicycle camping trip through California's Sierra Nevada with its up-to-26%-grades on a single gear hipster fixie bike instead of a modern touring bike with low gears---sure, it's possible, you can tour on a unicyle or pogo stick, but why, except to say "look at me--look at me!!"
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-10-11, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-12, 22:22

Walter Dnes wrote:Ouch! You'll need more like absolute minimum 4 gigabytes (preferably 8) free space AFTER building gcc and python and downloading the Pale Moon source code. What are the specs on your machine? (ram, diskspace, cpu, and cpu speed). Building Pale Moon from source is not recommended on old low-spec machines, and will often fail outright due to lack of diskspce/ram.
Then I guess I will give up, too much space. The specifications. Core 2 e7500 (2.93Ghz, heavily under clocked to 1.65Ghz), 40Gb hd (1.4Gb free in one partition, 19.Gb in aother), 2Gb of ram.
If you're just running that old Ubuntu because it's an older machine, there are plenty of modern distro releases that will still run on older hardware, including some that have PM in their repos already. I think that installing and using one of those will be a lot less work & trouble and yield better results that what you're trying to do on 10.04!
I cannot do so. I have two vital necessities that are not fulfilled by newer distros. To keep the same graphic interface and gimp 2.6. Firsrt, I tried compile gimp from the source for then to use its binnary into a newer distro. Unfortunately, I never was able to do so. Gimp depends on Babl and Gegl and those packages have their own dependencies as well. And I was ready to try to compile all of them. I started the process: compiled Babl (after compiling its dependencies: intltool and Gettext). Then compiled Glib (Gegl dependency), perhaps a couple more of things, until came the time of Gegl itself. I tried to compile several versions and was never able to compile it. Two different versions of Gegl gave two difference problems during the "make" fase. I opened two different topics about it, here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175623613/ and here https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... d-one-babl. On the last one, someone gave me specific versions of gcc that may be able to compile an older Babl. I never tried, perhaps I shall give it a try, if I have enough free space.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-10-13, 00:56

Well, again I have to wonder why the old 2.6 version of GIMP has to be used instead of the 2.8 series available in many long-term-support releases of Debian and Ubuntu that aso have prebuilt versions of PM available: Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, Debian 8 and 9.

The bike touring example was based on a personal encounter with a walking fixie rider I pedaled past while ascending the east grade of Ebbetts Pass on my way to Calaveras Big Trees campground, by the way. He said the fixie gave him some mystical "purer cycling experience", but I never saw him after that.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-10-13, 01:02

coltson wrote:Then I guess I will give up, too much space. The specifications. Core 2 e7500 (2.93Ghz, heavily under clocked to 1.65Ghz), 40Gb hd (1.4Gb free in one partition, 19.Gb in aother), 2Gb of ram.
I believe the final Pale Moon SSE-only version (27.9.4) is still up at ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2 Pale Moon 27.x allowed building with the "stdcxx-compat" option to accomadate older libs and distros (e.g. Lucid Puppy). Test it to see if it works on your system. It'll be a bit slower because it deliberately omits SSE2 code in order to run on Pentium3 machines.

If that works for you, I should be able to build a 27.9.4 version optimized for your system. Execute the following command in a terminal...

gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=

...and let me know the output to confirm your exact cpu type. Note that this build will be an unofficial, out-of-date version, more like "Paleo Moon" than Pale Moon. There will be no patches, security fixes, etc. Do not expect official support on this forum.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

coltson
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by coltson » 2018-10-15, 20:46

stevepusser wrote:Well, again I have to wonder why the old 2.6 version of GIMP has to be used instead of the 2.8 series available in many long-term-support releases of Debian and Ubuntu that aso have prebuilt versions of PM available: Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, Debian 8 and 9.
Because too many things on it are different. The old brushes does not work on it anymore. The selection tool where you click on pixels is totally different. The way you save images is different. There were other things that were differently. I personally do not care much, but my mother does care and she is the real user of gimp here.

The output was:
-march= core2
Anyway, it worked. I will be using it for now. Changing subject a little bit, I am somewhat disappointed with the memory consumption (of the 26 version, still did not test the newer one). Sometimes I open up to 7 tabs on Facebook and I just do not open more because that is the limit before Firefox reach 1.2GB (and that is the limit before it becomes paralyzed) I expected Palemoon to use less memory, but doing the same thing on it, it shutdown itself with five or so open tabs.