Install

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
caltrop_3

Install

Unread post by caltrop_3 » 2018-02-22, 23:05

please... an install that a human can understand...

I am running Linux Mint Mate, Ubuntu based

It would be nice if I could add a PPA or URL to Synaptic Package Manager
but last time I tried to an a URL I could not get the KEY installed
most KEY files are long multi-byte things and Synaptic only wants an 8-byte key

seems like more & more installing in Linux is getting harder & harder
sudo apt...
sudo curl...
sudo whatever...
I thought Deb, Ubuntu, & RPM packages were pretty much standard anymore... guessed WRONG didn't I!

hobbledehoy899

Re: Install

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-02-23, 03:45

PPAs are not the same as just .deb files.

RJules3
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by RJules3 » 2018-02-23, 08:05

caltrop_3 wrote:please... an install that a human can understand...

On all my Linux systems (Slackware 14, Debian Jessie, Devuan Jessie, and Devuan Ascii with different desktop environments Mate included) I followed the steps on http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/ to manually install Pale Moon. It never failed and the later updates are just two simple commands.
With the tar ball tag 'palemoon-27.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2' (you have to replace this tag with the one you downloaded) these are the steps (you need administrator privileges):
1. tar -xvf palemoon-27.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 -C /opt
2. ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
3. ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/palemoon.png
4. ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/palemoon.png
5. ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/palemoon.png
6. ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/palemoon.png
7. If you want an entry in the start menu, open an editor of your choice and paste this:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=palemoon %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=palemoon
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
8. Save this file as: /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop

The only command you have to modify is the first one, all the other commands you can copy and paste from the page mentioned above.
From my point of view these are eight very easy steps to get an awesome browser.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-23, 11:32

Steven Pusser's PPA for Pale Moon on Debian/Ubuntu-based systems was extremely easy to install and use, and works just fine on Mint.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-02-25, 20:42

The ln -s icon stuff might not work in all distros / desktops, but you can specify one directly in the desktop file.
Icon=/opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png

Also the palemoon link ought to be in /usr/local/bin not /usr/bin, /usr is for packaged system owned stuff, /usr/local is for user owned systemwide things. Really the desktop file ought to go in /usr/local/share/applications too, but that may not work for everyone like the icon links, and you might need to reboot to get it recognized by the desktop in any case if it is the first file to be put in that location.
The system is intended to avoid conflicts, also /usr/local should take precedence.
Last edited by Lunokhod on 2018-02-25, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-26, 02:01

Isengrim wrote:Steven Pusser's PPA for Pale Moon on Debian/Ubuntu-based systems was extremely easy to install and use, and works just fine on Mint.
PPA-like, but not a PPA!

If I knew how, I could also build packages for many rpm-based distros on it too. There are some people on the OBS that are making rpm palemoon packages, but they were using non-approved gcc versions the last time I looked.

It's also simple to just download and install the palemoon deb package from the OBS and install it with gdebi if you want to avoid adding the repo and the key; the links are at the bottom of the instructions.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-02-26, 02:03

caltrop_3 wrote:please... an install that a human can understand...
Did you try following this tutorial?
How to CORRECTLY install Pale Moon in Ubuntu 14.04 from the repository

If you are using Linux Mint 17.x, the directions in the tutorial will work as written.
If you are using Linux Mint 18.x, then substitute a "16" wherever you see a "14" in the code.

HTHImage
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-02-26, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2018-02-26, 21:08

I have discovered how to compile the application with gcc 4.9 on Fedora 27, stevepusser: https://bgstack15.wordpress.com/2018/02 ... fedora-27/

Basically you need a copr: davidva/gcc49.

And my custom rpm: https://github.com/bgstack15/palemoon-rpm

Feel free to rip it off, customize it, collaborate with me, whatever. I come from rpm-based distros and have some experience building rpms. I tend to customize my own packages but building a public-ready package would be a great adventure.