Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, Indalecio, satrow

NewMoon1
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:39 am

Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby NewMoon1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 am

I have Pale Moon also in my Linux Mint.
How can I update it there?
Is the only way to uninstall the old and install the new version?
How can I then transfer the profile from the old to the new?
With Bookmarks, Settings and Preferences?

User avatar
gracious1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: unseasonably warm upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby gracious1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am

If you are using Linux Mint 17.x, you could try following the tutorial on installing Pale Moon in Ubuntu 14.04 from the repository. This shows you how to install with apt-get. Whenever there is a new release of Pale Moon, you would just enter "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" in a terminal window.

If you are using Linux Mint 18.x, replace "14" with "16" in the code given in the tutorial (because Mint 18.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

If what I have said is too confusing, let me know.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby adesh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 am

NewMoon1 wrote:How can I then transfer the profile from the old to the new?
With Bookmarks, Settings and Preferences?

Nothing to do here. The new version will automatically pick up your profile.
And how you update to the new version, that depends on how you installed the browser.

NewMoon1
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:39 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby NewMoon1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:23 pm

OK, I entered "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" my password and clicked
I am not very used to Linux Mint yet...
The "Terminal" ran through a lot of actions and I wandered what it was doing...
It came to about 3 positions where it asked, and one option was something like N=keep actual version.
Since I was not sure, I entered N.

I now realized that I should have chosen Y for a new version and thus missed some 3 updates/upgrades.
So I repeated it but now now such choice cam up, anymore...

What can I do now?

User avatar
helloimustbegoing
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:20 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby helloimustbegoing » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 pm

If I were you I'd get rid of the ppa and install Pale Moon via the PM installer tool. It's much easier.

User avatar
gracious1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: unseasonably warm upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby gracious1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 am

NewMoon1 wrote:OK, I entered "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" my password and clicked
I am not very used to Linux Mint yet...
The "Terminal" ran through a lot of actions and I wandered what it was doing...


Could you copy and paste your output here so that I may read it (and hopefully tell you what it was doing!)

NewMoon1 wrote:It came to about 3 positions where it asked, and one option was something like N=keep actual version.
Since I was not sure, I entered N.

I now realized that I should have chosen Y for a new version and thus missed some 3 updates/upgrades.
So I repeated it but now now such choice cam up, anymore...

What can I do now?


Most likely, the solution is just do this again:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade


But really, before you do that, let me see what your output is, just to be certain, okay?

Off-topic:
IMHO, I think using apt-get on Ubuntu & Ubuntu-derived systems is preferable to stand-alone Linux installers because in my experience I have observed that users run into fewer problems, and in the end it simplifies system management when you have set everything up properly. Running apt-get every so often keeps everything up to date, not just Pale Moon. YMMV.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

NewMoon1
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:39 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby NewMoon1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 am

Well, as I write, I did it again, twice. It did not update Pale Moon.
To show the - long - output I would have to record it, how?

Noomelap13
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby Noomelap13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:52 am

I find it so easy to update Palemoon that when I see a thread like this I sometimes wonder if I am doing something wrong ?

All I do is replace the old "palemoon" folder with the new.

oscar
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby oscar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?

User avatar
hobbledehoy899
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby hobbledehoy899 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm

If you use Arch you can install Pale Moon from the AUR in either binary form or in a way where the source gets automatically compiled locally on your machine.

NewMoon1
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:39 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby NewMoon1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?

User avatar
hobbledehoy899
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby hobbledehoy899 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 pm

NewMoon1 wrote:How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?

Linux Mint is a minimally modified fork of Ubuntu; any repository/PPA that works with Ubuntu will work with Linux Mint.

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby stevepusser » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 am

oscar wrote:I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?


Somehow the step to add the repository key did not go successfully. This may be because the error message says you added the 16.10 repo instead of the 16.04, so perhaps you added the key for the 16.04 repo, and they won't match. If you're adding the correct "Release.key", make sure to delete any ones you have already downloaded to the same folder. The following command will remove any if they are there:

Code: Select all

rm -f Release.key

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby stevepusser » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 am

NewMoon1 wrote:How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?


Hmmm---you need to learn a bit more about Mint, and a whole new world of software will up for you, for better or worse...

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby stevepusser » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

NewMoon1 wrote:Well, as I write, I did it again, twice. It did not update Pale Moon.
To show the - long - output I would have to record it, how?


It won't upgrade if you didn't install the version from the repo to start with, since the package manager doesn't know a thing about the manually installed version. You are right, that output is long, but the output in a terminal can be highlighted, then right-clicked, then copypasted into a post here and labeled with code tags (the code button).

Do that for these much shorter outputs:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy palemoon
shows if the apt package manager knows about palemoon from the repo and if it is installed.

Code: Select all

inxi -r
shows what software repositories ("channels") you have active. We are looking for my openSUSE build service one.

Beginners often will ask why we are asking for terminal outputs instead of whatever fancy GUI package manager your distro comes with. We do this because the terminal commands are the lowest common denominator and will always work, no matter how spartan your install or what desktop you are using. Plus it's easy to copypaste the output from a terminal.

User avatar
gracious1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: unseasonably warm upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby gracious1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 am

I moved this from the tutorial thread because support should be here. But please see also what I wrote there in response because I can't move that post, which explains a possible way to remove the old installation.

NewMoon1 wrote:So I would now like to uninstall Pale Moon and reinstall according to your instructions.
Any suggestions about how to do that properly?
And in Linux Mint, not Ubuntu ...


The instructions I provided in the tutorial should work with Linux Mint AFAIK. Are you using Linux Mint 17 or 18 ?
If you are using 18.x, you have to substitute '16' wherever you see '14' in the instructions, because Mint 18.x is derived from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

If you aren't sure which version you are using, please enter this command and share your output.

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a


Please also copy and paste everything in the Terminal window when you attempt to install Pale Moon. (Use Ctrl-Shift-C for copy in the Terminal window rather than Ctrl-C.)
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

oscar
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby oscar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 am

stevepusser wrote:
oscar wrote:I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?


"Somehow the step to add the repository key did not go successfully. This may be because the error message says you added the 16.10 repo instead of the 16.04, so perhaps you added the key for the 16.04 repo, and they won't match. If you're adding the correct "Release.key", make sure to delete any ones you have already downloaded to the same folder. The following command will remove any if they are there:

Code: Select all

rm -f Release.key

@steven pusser
I copied and pasted the command in the terminal( rm -f Release.key) but nothing happened. I wasn't told that the command did not exist and was not asked for my password. I only know and use a few terminal commands, so mayby I missed something out?

User avatar
gracious1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: unseasonably warm upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby gracious1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am

oscar wrote: I copied and pasted the command in the terminal( rm -f Release.key) but nothing happened.
There is generally no output from this command.
oscar wrote:I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters )


Please share the series of numbers and letters. Just copy and paste here. I can tell you exactly how to fix this Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) error once I have that. Those letters and numbers are your missing key.

Basically the solution is one of these:

A.

Code: Select all

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys [YOURKEYINQUESTION]
gpg --armor --export [YOURKEYINQUESTION] | sudo apt-key add -


B. Or, in Ubuntu (and some other Linux distros)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com [YOURKEYINQUESTION]


Leave out the brackets. Just substitute the series of numbers and letters, your key.

After A or B run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install palemoon
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: California

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby stevepusser » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 pm

It seems you also accidentally added the Ubuntu 16.10 repository instead of the 16.04 one, based on the error message. Just remove the file that contains the repository:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list


Then go back and repeat the install directions from the start again to add the correct 16.04 repository. You don't have to remove any keys, as it doesn't hurt to have the 16.10 one in your keyring, but make sure you have both the correct repo and key for 16.04 installed.

50s45es
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:00 am

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Postby 50s45es » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:10 am

Am using Linux Debian Mint:
lsb_release -a: No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: LinuxMint Description: LMDE 2 Betsy Release: 2 Codename: betsy

apt-cache policy palemoon
palemoon:
Installed: 26.4.1.repack-1 Candidate: 27.5.0~repack-1
Version table: 27.5.0~repack-1 0
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_9.0/ Packages *** 26.4.1.repack-1 0 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

apt install palemoon:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
palemoon : Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14) but 1.8.22-0+deb8u1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any suggestions? TIA
Bill


Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests