Facebook nonsense, again!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
spacy01

Facebook nonsense, again!

Unread post by spacy01 » 2017-08-24, 04:53

So, last night i upgrade Pale Moon to version 27.4.2 (64-bit), after that i open Facebook... I was faced with pop-up, that said "Your device may be infected... use Kaspersky scanner". Obviously, i cannot use that scanner, logout, clear cookies, restart the browser and tried to log again. This time the pop-up was "Your Linux device is insecure...", however i ignored that and be able to login, but when tried to post something, i understand that i have a 24-hours block to publish. I don't blame Pale Moon, the browser is fine, just this is total Facebook nonsense! I PM to the support center, but still waiting for answer...

I didn't broked any Facebook rule, i'm pretty sure, about that! I suggest, that is something about browser version or user agent... Someone to have faced with similar problems?

Thank you! My distro is 64-bit Xubuntu 16.04.3.

snertev

Re: Facebook nonsense, again!

Unread post by snertev » 2017-08-24, 08:22

spacy01 wrote:So, last night i upgrade Pale Moon to version 27.4.2 (64-bit), after that i open Facebook... I was faced with pop-up, that said "Your device may be infected... use Kaspersky scanner". Obviously, i cannot use that scanner, logout, clear cookies, restart the browser and tried to log again. This time the pop-up was "Your Linux device is insecure...", however i ignored that and be able to login, but when tried to post something, i understand that i have a 24-hours block to publish. I don't blame Pale Moon, the browser is fine, just this is total Facebook nonsense! I PM to the support center, but still waiting for answer...

I didn't broked any Facebook rule, i'm pretty sure, about that! I suggest, that is something about browser version or user agent... Someone to have faced with similar problems?

Thank you! My distro is 64-bit Xubuntu 16.04.3.
I've experienced this behavior twice on Windows.

During previous weeks, FB has released some kind of "antispam algorithm" that doesn't like Pale Moon using a special FF useragent.

The second time it happened to me, I correctly answered to FB methods used to check my identity, I had been correctly redirected to my FB home and that stupid algorithm blocked me again.

I've discovered that using the "native" useragent in Pale Moon works better with that algorithm, though there are other annoyances.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 08:58

Are the engineers at Facebook retarded? I don't understand how a particular UA string makes your whole OS insecure. That is a shitty algorithm that Facebook has implemented. Bu what bothers me more is how they treat their users. They think that their users are fools, know nothing about security and can be sold anything.
Come on, don't worry about protecting my computer. That's my job and I can do it better, so please mind your own business.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-08-24, 09:41

adesh wrote:Are the engineers at Facebook retarded? I don't understand how a particular UA string makes your whole OS insecure.
Indeed, the message that FB showed to me generically said that "somebody may have accessed your account".

I've set a specific option of FB that sends a mail to me every time there is an access to my account and I'm sure FB didn't recognize Pale Moon as Firefox when that useragent was used. Inside the mail there was the place of the connection and my OS, nothing more. With "native" useragent, is the same, but I suppose the algorithm understands Pale Moon is an independent browser, while with the Firefox useragent, it thinks I'm a bot...
adesh wrote: That is a shitty algorithm that Facebook has implemented. Bu what bothers me more is how they treat their users. They think that their users are fools, know nothing about security and can be sold anything.
Come on, don't worry about protecting my computer. That's my job and I can do it better, so please mind your own business.
I've found FB very unstable recently too, during the release of the "Marketplace" feature for selling items in your neighborhood. They blocked a lot of features (upload of images, message posting, and so on) that work perfectly now.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2017-08-24, 10:28

Guys, thank you for the answers! You just wrote exactly what i'm thinking for!

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-08-24, 10:32

I received too in the past,this kind of trash from Facebook. Moore, on different times, Facbook advice me to scan the system with different antimalware software. Fortunately after update to 27.4.2 there is no problems for me in this sense.
Attachments
Screenshot (478).png
Screenshot (482).png
Screenshot (487).png
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2017-08-24, 10:49

@badnick, at least you use Windows and can use the scanner... :) I saw exactly the same message, like on your first screenshot, but i haven't installed Windows, not even Wine... And why, when i refuse to download the software, they block me for posting?! If they think that i may to be a bot, to sent me a captcha...

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-08-24, 11:12

Yes you are unable to use your acount untill you download the software and "scan the device", but don't do that, I never did that. Just wait some time, and things resolve themselves after a while. In this time use other browser for facebok. This is a shitty policy from Facebook probably to force you to use other browsers or they have a very weak software for "malware detecting".
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2017-08-24, 11:50

@badnick, i already notice that i can post from phone. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-24, 15:59

All this looks like to me is Facebook pushing their partnership with Kaspersky Labs. But in the end it just makes them look bad.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-08-24, 17:33

Am I surprised? Facebook harasses users that don't log in and keeps opening a pop-up to login after closing it! They're known to spam me with a login prompt!

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-08-24, 17:48

RJARRRPCGP : I have this problem too, I can't go to FB anymore viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16483 .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-24, 18:39

RJARRRPCGP wrote:Am I surprised? Facebook harasses users that don't log in and keeps opening a pop-up to login after closing it!
But how can you be on Facebook and not have an account with them already that you undoubtedly want to use 24/7? ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-08-24, 18:41

@SGVagon, not the same issue and it doesn't block me from using Facebook, but it keeps nagging!

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-08-24, 20:57

Moonchild wrote:All this looks like to me is Facebook pushing their partnership with Kaspersky Labs. But in the end it just makes them look bad.
That's interesting considering the US government has a ban on Kaspersky (or at least something like a ban).