Feature Request: {Composition} Line Wrapping

Development discussions for FossaMail
rahtgaz

Feature Request: {Composition} Line Wrapping

Unread post by rahtgaz » 2015-09-09, 03:14

Particularly certain mailing lists and newsgroups have ad-hoc rules for line wrapping that I would like to conform. However FossaMail has no option to enable automatic line-wrapping/splitting at a certain number of characters in its composition window, or (better yet) as an option based on the receiver address. My messages end up going without any line wrapping of any kind, while my forum mates make nicely compliant formatted posts.

It's probably a bit of pain to implement. But is this feature something you would consider?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Feature Request: {Composition} Line Wrapping

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-09, 10:37

I'd certainly consider it. Do you happen to know if Thunderbird has implemented such an option already that we could port across? No need to invent the wheel twice, and all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rahtgaz

Re: Feature Request: {Composition} Line Wrapping

Unread post by rahtgaz » 2015-09-09, 15:50

Moonchild wrote:I'd certainly consider it. Do you happen to know if Thunderbird has implemented such an option already that we could port across? No need to invent the wheel twice, and all.
While trying to answer your question, I came under the feature that in Thunderbird allows this. But because it was being controlled by a setting in the Config Editor, to be sure I looked for similar settings under FossaMail. And there it was. As it happens, this is already implemented in FossaMail.

mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed;false
This will make sure FossaMail will replace any soft wraps in the composition window with line breaks before sending the message (for plaintext messages only). This is exactly what I wanted :)

mailnews.wraplength;72
Sets the line length.

Admittedly it would be much better if I could alter the defaults on a message basis. Maybe I wanted to send wrapped lines on some email and not on another. But as it is, it's not bad either.