confirm with Ok windows

Development discussions for FossaMail
brainstuff

confirm with Ok windows

Unread post by brainstuff » 2015-02-23, 14:10

Hi,

A very stupid bug from thunderbird esists also in fossamail ... tehre are a lot of "Warning" messages who says .. "Warning xx does not work --- ok". This can be very disturbing ... please send such stupid warnings in a log file without any "ok" button.

I have asked the thunderbird developpers about 5 years ... and they will not delete such stupid warning messages ... this is the main reason that I use now fossamail.

The second reason is that the address book of thunderbird and fossamail is a very stupid system for dummys.

And the third reason is that the filter system and the spam filter system is very stupid also.

thanks,
brainstuff

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: confirm with Ok windows

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-23, 18:24

So, you switched from Thunderbird to FossaMail because it informs you with dialog boxes about important information, and then complain that FossaMail has the same informational dialog boxes (why switch to FossaMail then...?) and in general diss the client's operation being "stupid"...

And you expect me to do... what? 8-)

(PS: poking developers of software with generic complaints and talking down on their work tends to not motivate them. Just FYI. You know, just in case you understand we're people too :P)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

brainstuff

Unread post by brainstuff » 2015-03-20, 22:30

I expect from the fossamail developpers that they eliminate all kind of the stupid "Ok" button Windows from thunderbird, that they review the SPAM Filter (filtered and to sub folder mouved mail is not SPAM), that they create a intelligent address book (not a list of senders who will not be handeled as SPAM senders) ...

Fossamail and Thunderbird does not "informs you with dialog boxes about important information" ... there is not any need to "confirm" when Fossamail detects a communication failure or the fact that Fossamail is in the way to move the SPAM Mails in the trash ... such Warnings are stupid . All these warnings must go into a "warning log file" and there is no need to confirm thease warnings by ok. We are not stupid childs who like to confirm a lot of stupid "Warnings" without any need.

I want also that the developpers of Fossamail seeks to delete some long time bugs .. by example the "attaching" bug who occours when a sender have send a mail as html with an picture in it ... such bugs are very stupid.

And also the fact that the user must build a separate SMTP Sender account for each account is very stupid ... it must have a default sender SMTP account and the possibility to create (in each pop account) a related SMTP account (like in Outlook) ... with the use of the receiver accounts passwort and user or a different password and user. It is a fact that a lot of stupid WEB hosters will now faight against email "Spoofing" with the setting ... "the user of the SMTP server does be the same as the sender account user ... will mean: if the pop account is xxx@bbb.com then the SMTP account user name can not be zzz@bbb.com

And the complete procedure transfer of mails, resend of mails forward of mails ... must be reviewed: there are a lot of very stupid errors in this procedure when the user use multiple accounts.

The old Bill Gates seeks since 12 years for a way to stop the SPAM. ... no success. And hobby programmers create a lot of bugs in Thunderbird and Fossamail who creates a lot of additional SPAM.

The old Bill says there is now more then 90% of the mails who are SPAM ... but WE, the developpers of Mail-Clients and email programs, we are soooooo stupid that we do not delete all kind of bugs who are in the way to made inefficient and inusable the email.

I want NOT that the industrie replaces the email by facebook, Twitter and other such stupid messengers ... I want that we made that fossamail becomes a reliable, solide way to receive and to send mails.

My address data bank does NOT contents stupid addresses like noreply@xxx.com, there is not any need to put newsletter@stupid.com in an address databank file ... we must made a difference between a address list who contains approuved addresses who will not send SPAM ... and a address list who contents adreeses who the user uses all days ...

We need developpers who are not stupid computerfreaks who will show that her program does sommething ... we need developpers who create programs who do her work in a reliable, serious and efficient way.

I repeat again: by example it is needed that Fossamail handle each account separately from other accounts: it is not a good idea that Fossamail transfers a mail, received on the account aaa@aaa.com with bbb@aaa.com als sender. A mail received by aa@aaa,com concerns the aa@aaa.com account and NOT any other account on the computer.

And Fossamail must be prepared for a little revolution: the email without SPAM.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-21, 01:05

Instead of getting on your high horse and once again insulting the people who publish this software for you, you should take time to learn how to use FossaMail first.
  1. You are not forced to make an SMTP account for each incoming account. See screenshot.
  2. Similarly, research the difference between a personal address book and "collected addresses", and learn how to use either.
  3. Informational dialog boxes with an OK button are industry standard ways to alert the user about important events. Sending that to a log file that is obscurely hidden somewhere is not properly informing the user about these events.
    As an example: A communication failure is important to be alerted about. Not doing do will have the user be unaware that mail was not sent (and they may close the application and be unaware that their mail was not sent while they think it was sent out - similarly to forgetting a letter you put in your coat pocket) or that new mail could not be retrieved (making the user incorrectly assume there is no new mail).
    NOT informing the user would be the "stupid" thing to do.
  4. FossaMail is Open Source. If you feel its behavior should be fundamentally changed, e.g. by making it into a log-window-centric application, then you are free to fork it and customize it exactly the way you want it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

brainstuff

Unread post by brainstuff » 2015-03-21, 15:21

Hi Moonchild,

> "You are not forced to make an SMTP account for each incoming account. See screenshot."

The problem is not that Fossamail gives the possibility to use one SMTP account for all accounts (this was a very good idea ... fife years ago! I liked-it ... I had have a special SMTP account mailsender@xxx.com this was a very fine idea .. no need to configure a lo t of SMTP parameters! BUT: now some stupid Internet site providers are trying such verry stupid ideas to avoid "spoofing" ... by example it is not possible to use an other account as the incomming account to send mails ... The people on Internet Servers and Internet providers is some time very stupid ... an example ... Tele2 (a Provider from Sweden) hat one day the verry intelligent idea to block the port 110 and to ask his customers to use a special username and password to send the mails ... this to avoid SPAM!!!!!! ...And then it was not possible to send mails ... I have asked the support... What is the name of the user and the password of this account? ... The response was : User is "admin" and the password is "1234" ... I have asked if the managers of Tele2 are drunken or under drugs ... the employe has respond ... no, they are verry intelligent! ... Then I have changed my SMTP account to theses settings and it have worked .. one day! On the next day ... it was again not possible to send mails ... I have caledl again the support ... and the same "supporter" says to me .. you was right, yesterday ... the password "1234" was not save!!!

And this is not the only story who shows that some people is very stupid!

> "Similarly, research the difference between a personal address book and "collected addresses", and learn how to use either."

Fossamail has an "Address-Book" ... an address book is a database where we store usefuul addresses ... not a stupid no-spam address list. This "no-SPAM" sender list has an other stupid problem .... it is made by stupid "computer-freaks" who use mail accounts from gmail, hotmail and other such adresses. When a NOT SPAM Mail comes from lucy@gmail.com it is a good idea to put "lucy@gmail.com" in the no Spam address sender list. But if you are in contact with a company who have addresses at his own site, by example "thecompanyxxx.com" and when the people of this company uses stupid personaal addresses like "lucy.miller@thecompanyxxx.com" then it is NOT a good idea to put "lucy.miller@thecompanyxxx.com" in the No-SPAM adress-list (then if lucy.miller is fired and the next is penelope.dupont, the mail will be "saved" in the junk mail folder) .. for mails from trusted domains it must be possible to put in the no-spam address list ALL at hecompanyxxx.com

There is a lot of simple logistic changes needed to stop a part of the SPAM problems!

>"Informational dialog boxes with an OK button are industry standard ways to alert the user about important events. Sending that to a log file that is obscurely hidden somewhere is not properly informing the user about these events. As an example: A communication failure is important to be alerted about. Not doing do will have the user be unaware that mail was not sent (and they may close the application and be unaware that their mail was not sent while they think it was sent out - similarly to forgetting a letter you put in your coat pocket) or that new mail could not be retrieved (making the user incorrectly assume there is no new mail)."

I have about 30 mail accounts on my computer ... when the Internet communication fails I have some time 30 times a stupid "warning" message ... who says that the server is busy and ask me for a click on a stupid OK button. Some time it informs me also that the password was not recognized ... do you want to change the password ... no ... ok and the the old "wrong" password will work (the false password was only a communication failure). Such "warnings" are only interesting for stupid computer freaks and gamers who like such stupid messages ... There is not any need for this ... it is enough when Fossamail try to retry by it self and displays after he have handeled all accounts a warning messsage .. "errors detected .. open the log-message to see the details" ... there is not any need for a "Warning message with an OK button.

"NOT informing the user would be the "stupid" thing to do".

I have not said to not inform the user ... I have said that stupid warnings with a OK button are not usefuul.

>"FossaMail is Open Source. If you feel its behavior should be fundamentally changed, e.g. by making it into a log-window-centric application, then you are free to fork it and customize it exactly the way you want it."

I am a high graded informatic expert ... still 20 years ago, I have stated that it is not a good idea to "customize" computer programs ... I am not opposed to the idea to use "thunderbird" in the first time as the base for Fossamail ... but then Fossamail must become his own developpment. OR ... Fossamail must be an "add-on" for thunderbird ... will mean the "core" of the program is thunderbird and there are some external added features. All changes in the "core" must be made for both programs together.

The reason si simple ... if the "core" of a program is used by a lot of useres, they can find the most bugs ... if a program is used only from one or a little quantity of users, the program will never be reliable.

Bill Gates says that over 90 % of email is SPAM and he and his company does not have not fund out a way to stop the SPAM ... in this moment email is a verry bugged communication system with bugged programs. When we do not seek all the bugs and if we do not made that email will be reliable and without any SPAM ... we will kill our liberty and our communication.

We need reliable mail clients and we need a system who made that email communication will become reliable and SPAM-free. I do not want replace the email communication by stupid "tweets" or "Faxebook-messages" ... "hi moonchild ... your girlfried seems to be pregnant on her Facebook ... is prince phillip the father?" ....

thanks
brainstuff

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-21, 15:53

Off-topic:
1 € for every use of the word "stupid".... would make 35 € for this thread so far :lol:
Seriously, with your wording you are not making it more likely that people are willing to discuss with you. That's at least my € 0.02 as a "stupid computer freak and gamer".

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-21, 16:14

Off-topic:
After reading the OP's two posts, I thought it would be a good time to make and eat some popcorn while sipping on some George Dickel (class 8 recipe) bourbon mixed with Coca-Cola while waiting for the next OP's comments. ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-21, 19:42

brainstuff wrote:I am a high graded informatic expert ...
Really now? Sorry to say but it doesn't show. Get out of your ivory tower, please.

Considering the blurb post that tosses several different perceived issues in a single paragraph, with no use of whitespace, quoting and formatting capabilities of the forum makes for a very very difficult read, I'm not going to bother at this point in time. If someone wants to make a synopsis clearly outlining the problems in a point-by-point, organized manner instead of a wall of prattle with insults sprinkled on top, then I will have a look.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-22, 00:08

User left in a huff (with another €35 worth of "stupid"), requesting account deletion.

Apparently, they didn't even understand that the error messages they were getting were because of how they had configured their own mail server.

So, to sum it up:
  • User configures mail server with tight security
  • Server refuses mail from user because login credentials don't match the from: credentials in the e-mail
  • User is presented with an informative dialog box by mail client
  • User blames mail client for not being able to deliver mail
  • User goes to mail client's forum and insults the software devs
    (because of their own lack of understanding or even comprehensive reading... while claiming to have lots of expertise) :D
  • User complains more about the software because they never RTFMed and don't know how to configure it or use the features included in it (like using message filter rules...) in an obnoxious way
  • User gets put on cooldown by forum admin for being abrasive and inflammatory.
  • User e-mails with more insults in a half-essay involving colorful terms like "smartphone caressing freak" "crazy idiot" "hobby programmer", and tossing in random things like references to the NSA, North Korea and the KKK
How's your popcorn? Need a beer with it? :D :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-22, 02:16

Moonchild wrote:How's your popcorn? Need a beer with it? :D :lol:
Off-topic:
The popcorn was very tasty. :D But the bourbon and coke was even better. ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox