[Poll] FossaMail Default Theme

Development discussions for FossaMail

Change the FossaMail Default Theme?

Yes, to more closely match the Pale Moon UX and ditch Australis-lite theme
75%
Yes, to more closely match the Pale Moon UX but only if the current modified Australis-lite theme is provided as an add-on
11%
No, retain the current modified Australis-lite theme as default
No votes
I don't particularly care as I use a custom theme anyway
14%

Total votes: 28

New Tobin Paradigm

[Poll] FossaMail Default Theme

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-12, 11:19

At the risk of the last time I made a poll I am gonna make another one..

As you may know Thunderbird at version 15 jumped the gun (read: jumped the shark) when it preemptively adopted a poor man's version of Australis before it ever hit Firefox. Of course with the initial versions of FossaMail MC did a number of things to mitigate the problematic changes by some welcomed alterations to defaults and the icon set used in FM.

Now that FossaMail is a proper fork built solely off the Pale Moon back-end it may be time to reevaluate what should be done with this UI inconsistency when paired up with Pale Moon (and of course its self).

This poll will partly influence Moonchild's decisions if he will allow any changes to happen (read: let me do stuff). It is more or less up to you guys. As leaving things they way they are is of course the easiest.

Let me be clear: There is currently NO firm plan to do this. No work is underway at the moment and NO decision has been made yet. Just want to put this out there.

So cast a vote and tell us what you would want.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: [Poll] FossaMail Default Theme

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-01-12, 11:51

Although I realize that it would take some work on you and Moonchild's parts, my preference would hands down be to have FossaMail more closely match the Pale Moon UX.

I use FossaMail almost every day, and while the alterations that Moonchild made are definitely welcome improvements over Thunderbird (in my opinion), I am still not a big fan of the Australis-like UI. I am not complaining by any means, even with it's present UI, I still say FM is miles ahead of TB.

Also, since the 2 projects do share a lot of the same code, and I assume that the majority of Pale Moon users (both current and future) who use a mail client probably use FossaMail as well, I think it would be a good idea for the two to share a similar UI as well.

Evil Moo

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2015-01-12, 19:55

I use the TT DeepDark theme, so as long as that still works I don't mind what happens to the default UI.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-01-18, 22:04

When comparing Thunderbird 24.XX with FossaMail 25.0 I noticed that FM has these weird double-spaced borders between the different UI elements ('XP' style) and an older icon theme, whereas Thunderbird has more of an 'Aero' look with single line dividers. That is something I'd like to see for FM; I could never get it to work right using the various Aero themes, something would always end up looking weird.

Don't really care for Australis on FM one way or the other, I have tabs disabled and pretty much just use the main window to display several mail accounts and a few dozen RSS feeds. But on principle, since Moonchild's products are set on a divergent course anyway, I say keep going and get rid of Australis in FM as well.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-01-18, 22:37

I just cast my vote. I'm not a fan of Australis and never have been so if Pale Moon doesn't look like Australis, speaking just for myself, I don't think FossaMail should look like it either and I voted accordingly.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

StalwartUK
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by StalwartUK » 2015-01-28, 04:48

I was never happy when they implemented it in Thunderbird so I would be very pleased indeed if FossaMail ditched the Australis-lite look in favour of something more in line with Pale Moon's UI.

At the moment I have various add-ons installed to remedy this.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-30, 10:03

Been doing a little test tinkering. Just dealing with tab shape makes a WORLD of improvement.. LOL

BTW I know the favicon needs some padding on the left... When this becomes real that will be done..
Attachments
dd150136-69a2-4aa0-98e6-80c37f5ede2b.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-30, 10:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:Been doing a little test tinkering. Just dealing with tab shape makes a WORLD of improvement.. LOL

BTW I know the favicon needs some padding on the left... When this becomes real that will be done..
Looks good so far ;) And yes, tab shape is the biggest eyesore in the current theme.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-01-30, 10:37

Looks good, Tobin!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-30, 11:55

Actually, I don't care that much, I use the Classic TB2
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbi ... assic-tb2/
theme, that does, actually, exactly what is needed to make FM (or some days ago TB) match PMs UI. In addition I use a custom Userstyle based on
https://userstyles.org/styles/107260/da ... nversation
that adjust the rest to match my customized Delorean Dark desktop theme. Resluting in
FMSC.png
vs. this for Pale Moon
PMSC.png
That's perfect for me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-30, 13:05

I use that theme too.. Some of what i am doing is inspired by that theme as well as Thunderbird 14's theme which was very much the Firefox 4-28 style though not as well done because it seems the Thunderbird team don't have an obsessive eye for consistency that I do. The point is while themes are important for choice.. You shouldn't HAVE to use a theme because the default interface is ugly as hell. So that is my goal. That and trying to give a nice and consistent default style between all Moonchild products.

Personally and this REALLY is my personal taste I much prefer the Firefox 2 era style my self.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-30, 13:34

Matt A Tobin wrote:You shouldn't HAVE to use a theme because the default interface is ugly as hell.
Nothing to be said against that :) With "I don't care that much" I mean that it is not a high priority problem for me because I have a solution that works out well for me (and that would maybe work for others too), sure wouldn't mind to have it built-in.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-01-31, 00:27

Looks good Tobin!
SvenG wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:You shouldn't HAVE to use a theme because the default interface is ugly as hell.
Nothing to be said against that :) ...I have a solution that works out well for me (and that would maybe work for others too), sure wouldn't mind to have it built-in.
I agree, I also use the Classic TB2 theme as well, along with Antonius32's extension, but it would be great to have the default built-in interface consistent with Pale Moon's.
Off-topic:
SvenG wrote:...to match my customized Delorean Dark desktop theme.
Very nice! I also use the Delorean Dark theme; I really like it!

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-31, 13:20

trava90 wrote:I agree, I also use the Classic TB2 theme (...)
Classic TB2 sure is a nice theme, but when I used it with Thunderbird in KDE there were some compatibility issues. Does anyone know if it works well with FossaMail for Linux in KDE?

About the poll: I have every confidence in Tobin redesigning FossaMail, and I hope he gets the green light on that, so of course I voted "yes"!