Rebranding "Thunderbird-Tray" for FossaMail

Development discussions for FossaMail
Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Rebranding "Thunderbird-Tray" for FossaMail

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 20:20

Hi everyone,

There is this (open source) tool called Thunderbird-Tray, that I would like to rebrand in order to use it with FossaMail. So far, I have partially succeeded in doing so with Resource Hacker, but to do it properly, I think it needs to be rebuilt from source. Anyone out there who has the knowledge to do this, and who would like to help me create "FossaMail-Tray"?

P.S. I know there are add-ons that can minimise FossaMail (or Thunderbird) to the system tray, but because I use the Master Password+ add-on, I prefer to use a stand-alone tool for this.

mikeysc

Re: Rebranding "Thunderbird-Tray" for FossaMail

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-11-28, 23:10

Minimize to Tray Revived would probably work since it was compatible with Thunderbird also. I haven't yet attempted to modify it for new FossaMail with the PM 25 code base. That would be my preference, though, since that way the same extension would work in both Pale Moon and FossaMail. Does TB Tray offer something special?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 23:19

mikeysc wrote: Does TB Tray offer something special?
Yes, it does. I use the Master Password+ add-on to "mask" FossaMail's interface after a given period of inactivity, and because Thunderbird-Tray is a stand-alone application, its options, that appear when its system tray icon is right-clicked, are not masked by Master Password+, which is exactly what I want.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-12-07, 01:04

Anyone? (I'm not considering "MinimizeToTray revived" for an alternative; it's limited, buggy and poorly maintained...)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-07, 03:42

If it's open source, you could try your own hand at re-branding it ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-12-07, 22:33

Well, I have downloaded the source code, and I think rebranding it shouldn't be too difficult. But when it comes to compiling, I wouldn't know where to start, really.. Do you happen to know any websites that have good information on the subject of compiling software on Windows?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-12-25, 00:00

Antonius32 wrote:P.S. I know there are add-ons that can minimise FossaMail (or Thunderbird) to the system tray, but because I use the Master Password+ add-on, I prefer to use a stand-alone tool for this.
You could try Min2Tray, it works just fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-25, 09:26

Antonius32 wrote:Well, I have downloaded the source code, and I think rebranding it shouldn't be too difficult. But when it comes to compiling, I wouldn't know where to start, really.. Do you happen to know any websites that have good information on the subject of compiling software on Windows?
It completely depends on how the source code is laid out, in what language it's programmed, and how it is normally built. Without looking at the source myself I can't help though - but you could always ask for pointers from the original dev if they are still around.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite