[CLOSED] Suggestion: "fossamail.org" as default home page

Development discussions for FossaMail
Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

[CLOSED] Suggestion: "fossamail.org" as default home page

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-11, 20:42

Currently, FossaMail doesn't have a home page set when the user first installs it. I think this is a missed opportunity for brand exposure; why not set http://www.fossamail.org/ as the default home page?
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-12, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

SvenG

Re: Suggestion: "www.fossamail.org" as default home page

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-07-11, 20:59

Antonius32 wrote:why not set http://www.fossamail.org/ as the default home page?
Because in case you have it already installed that site is (almost) entirely useless...

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-11, 21:06

SvenG wrote:Because in case you have it already installed that site is (almost) entirely useless...
I'm not saying it would be useful to me personally, but I thinkt it's a missed opportunity for making people aware of FossaMail's existence.

Thunderbird has a default home page; I don't think I've ever actually used it, but it looks better than a blank page, and it shows the Thunderbird brand every time the application is started..
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-11, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-07-11, 21:23

Antonius32 wrote:
SvenG wrote:Because in case you have it already installed that site is (almost) entirely useless...
I'm not saying it would be useful to me personally. What I meant is that this is a missed opportunity for making people aware of FossaMail's existence.
When you have it as a homepage you already have it installed, correct? And you see the homepage after you started the program, right? So, why should someone who has it installed and just started it not be aware that it exists? That is like trying to sell a product to someone who just recently bought it.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-11, 21:35

SvenG wrote:That is like trying to sell a product to someone who just recently bought it.
Alright, you tell me then: why do they put brand logos on cars?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-07-11, 22:25

Antonius32 wrote:
SvenG wrote:That is like trying to sell a product to someone who just recently bought it.
Alright, you tell me then: why do they put brand logos on cars?
Assuming it was my car and that you could download cars you would not put just a logo on my car but a list of technical features I might already know plus a download link for a car I already have on my windshield when I start the car. See the difference?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-11, 22:27

I'm afraid not. You're not telling me nobody ever visits you, and you're the only person who ever gets to look at your computer screen, are you?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-07-12, 08:03

Antonius32 wrote:the only person who ever gets to look at your computer screen, are you?
Yes, at least the one with my email and other personal stuff. Privacy, you know....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-12, 08:13

Adding the product home page as default start in the client is rather pointless (for the reasons mentioned above). At the very least it needs to be a crafted, specific start page with information relevant to the client.
It doesn't increase brand exposure beyond what the client itself already does.

Also, it would assume that everyone has (or wants to make on-demand) a connection to the Internet when they start the client. That's certainly not always the case. many people using POP will use a mail client off-line and only connect to exchange data when they choose to.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-12, 12:05

SvenG wrote:Yes, at least the one with my email and other personal stuff. Privacy, you know....
I see your point.
Moonchild wrote:It doesn't increase brand exposure beyond what the client itself already does.
Pale Moon has the characteristic blue app button to distinguish it from Firefox, but I think FossaMail has little visual features that distinguish it from Thunderbird. To me, having FossaMail display the product home page would be a simple way to set FossaMail apart from Thunderbird - but I agree that beyond that, there's little point to it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-12, 12:58

I'd think the different icon would make it clear.
thunderbird-isnot-fossamail.png
thunderbird-isnot-fossamail.png (41.3 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-12, 13:12

Sure, FossaMail has a different icon, but IMHO, it's not something you'll notice at a glance, like Pale Moon's blue app button (or Thunderbird's default home page).

Anyway, I don't want to start a pointless discussion. Valid arguments have been made against my suggestion, so I guess it just wasn't a good suggestion.
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-12, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-12, 13:21

It's still appreciated. If you still want to change it, you can still do so ;)
There just isn't much in terms of UI elements that can be easily changed to create a "brand indicator" like the AppMenu button in the browser.
On top, the default layout of the client is different than Thunderbird on most systems, so I'd gather that would also be an indicator.