Alternatives to FossaMail

Development discussions for FossaMail
Aube Bleue

Alternatives to FossaMail

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2017-03-14, 20:04

Moonchild, if FossaMail falls sadly into disuse, what client do you intend to use, personally? Would you go back to "building Thunderbird privately"? I'd like to know, if you don't mind me asking.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: New maintainer for FossaMail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-14, 23:03

Aube Bleue wrote:Moonchild, if FossaMail falls sadly into disuse, what client do you intend to use, personally? Would you go back to "building Thunderbird privately"? I'd like to know, if you don't mind me asking.
I'd most likely make (very infrequent) builds of FossaMail for my own use, based on what is there now, with critical sec updates. The client works for my use, and isn't as exposed to sec issues as a browser would be (because no javascript).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-15, 17:59

Moonchild wrote:
Aube Bleue wrote:Moonchild, if FossaMail falls sadly into disuse, what client do you intend to use, personally? Would you go back to "building Thunderbird privately"? I'd like to know, if you don't mind me asking.
I'd most likely make (very infrequent) builds of FossaMail for my own use, based on what is there now, with critical sec updates. The client works for my use, and isn't as exposed to sec issues as a browser would be (because no javascript).
since I'm a bit paranoid, is it possible to configure thunderbird to be as secure as fossamail?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-15, 20:54

That depends on your definition of security. Not having JS Enabled for message content already makes it more "secure" but if you are thinking about anything that might come from the overall platform code? Then maybe not. But again, it depends on your definition.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-03-15, 21:20

I've been evaluating email alternatives all day. TB uses just over half the RAM that FM does (90 vs 160 MB), so FM is out of favor for me unless it has a new development that causes me to reconsider (but I'll keep it to see what happens). But I never really liked the TB platform anyway - it was always too much of a memory hog for my use, and I don't like pages opening in a built-in browser. I like Sylpheed best as a lightweight email client (~6MB) (closest to what I used for a decade and a half). The only bad point was no spell checking, and my typing on laptop with bad keys is a problem. So, I reinstalled Pegasus to try it again. I got it working; it uses ~30MB. It's about the only old legendary email app still in development. I may stick with it as primary and TB and Sylpheed as heavy and light backup choices. If you use another email program and just miss the Lightning calendar then using Sunbird is an option (~30MB).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-15, 21:31

GreenGeek wrote:I've been evaluating email alternatives all day. TB uses just over half the RAM that FM does (90 vs 160 MB), so FM is out of favor for me unless it has a new development that causes me to reconsider (but I'll keep it to see what happens). But I never really liked the TB platform anyway - it was always too much of a memory hog for my use, and I don't like pages opening in a built-in browser. I like Sylpheed best as a lightweight email client (~6MB) (closest to what I used for a decade and a half). The only bad point was no spell checking, and my typing on laptop with bad keys is a problem. So, I reinstalled Pegasus to try it again. I got it working; it uses ~30MB. It's about the only old legendary email app still in development. I may stick with it as primary and TB and Sylpheed as heavy and light backup choices. If you use another email program and just miss the Lightning calendar then using Sunbird is an option (~30MB).
Do I just attract off topic and misinformed people?

Sunbird has been dead since 2010.. The standalone code doesn't even exist anymore.. As for your other musings.. What does that have to do with the price of eggs at the corner store during winter in England?

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-03-15, 22:40

Not replying to you, bulldog - just commenting on FM status and alternatives. I don't give a crap what you think, or anybody else for that matter.

BlueSnow

Unread post by BlueSnow » 2017-03-16, 00:02

GreenGeek wrote:I've been evaluating email alternatives all day. TB uses just over half the RAM that FM does (90 vs 160 MB), so FM is out of favor for me unless it has a new development that causes me to reconsider (but I'll keep it to see what happens). But I never really liked the TB platform anyway - it was always too much of a memory hog for my use, and I don't like pages opening in a built-in browser. I like Sylpheed best as a lightweight email client (~6MB) (closest to what I used for a decade and a half). The only bad point was no spell checking, and my typing on laptop with bad keys is a problem. So, I reinstalled Pegasus to try it again. I got it working; it uses ~30MB. It's about the only old legendary email app still in development. I may stick with it as primary and TB and Sylpheed as heavy and light backup choices. If you use another email program and just miss the Lightning calendar then using Sunbird is an option (~30MB).
I think Claws Mail is related to, or at least similar to, Sylpheed; but has spell checking.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-03-16, 00:20

GreenGeek wrote:...I don't give a crap what you think, or anybody else for that matter.
That´s obvious, since the topic for this thread is New maintainer for FossaMail, not alternatives to FossaMail... ;) :)
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

GreenGeek

Re: Alternatives to FossaMail

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-03-16, 16:06

BlueSnow wrote:I think Claws Mail is related to, or at least similar to, Sylpheed; but has spell checking.
Thanks for reminding me - I had tried it quite some time ago but forgot. Seems like a good fit.
Last edited by GreenGeek on 2017-03-16, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2017-03-16, 16:39

hackerman1

When I scroll up to read the very first post on this thread it is entitled 'Alternatives to FossaMail'.

DutchPete

Unread post by DutchPete » 2017-03-16, 17:40

MGA74 wrote:hackerman1

When I scroll up to read the very first post on this thread it is entitled 'Alternatives to FossaMail'.
The original thread was about New Maintainer for FossaMail, but when people started to ask about alternatives a moderator must have transferred those post to this new thread. But some people on this new thread are still talking about Fossamail, hence the confusion.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-03-16, 18:47

MGA74 wrote:hackerman1

Yes it is, now... ;)
This thread is a split-off from another thread: New Maintainer for FossaMail.
Since that thread was going off-topic, i pointed out what the topic was.
And reported it, suggesting a split-off...
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-04-10, 21:08

Well, FossaMail is shutdown (https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15430).
Some alternatives:
1. SimpleMail-Addon for Pale Moon
Get your mail in your browser. At least the pop3 support works fine (i do not use imap - but the program provide support for imap).
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-mail
I use this one on daily basis - I have used FossaMail (and now Seamonkey) only for archiving e-mails which I don't need anymore in SimpleMail.

2. Sylpheed e-Mail Client (Windows / Linux)
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

3. Claws Mail (a fork of Sylpheed) (Windows / Linux)
Has more add-ons and functions the Sylpheed.
http://www.claws-mail.org/

4. Seamonkey
Extremely lightweight browser / e-mail client in contrast to Firefox. Hoping the development go further.
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-10, 21:21

SeaMonkey won't survive the great XUL purge of 2017.. It is as valid of an alternative as Thunderbird is. Don't kid yourself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-10, 21:58

SeaMonkey is anything but lightweight - it is as heavy as Firefox because it uses the same back-end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-04-10, 22:24

I never have seen fossamail or its mozilla analogue, but consider that this software function is like office outlook. So why not outlook then? Also i cannot imagine regular office manager with non windows machine, so matter about linux alternative fall away. I was using outlook when it was on office 2003, it does what is needed perfectly, and you have all other office powers like vba. 2003 office for today likely will be very cheap.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-10, 22:31

I'm not one to easily promote outlook because it has a few very nasty, persistent behaviors that Microsoft considers "by design", like the dreaded "winmail.dat" attachments that are actually the mail's contents. :P Not to mention poorly-constructed "html e-mail"

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-04-11, 00:36

As for me, I will probably end using Opera Mail on Windows for some accounts, which is extremely lightweight. I however can't remember if it has ever received an update, so I guess it's pretty outdated… :( Darn.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-04-11, 04:37

Matt A Tobin wrote:SeaMonkey won't survive the great XUL purge of 2017.. It is as valid of an alternative as Thunderbird is. Don't kid yourself.
It's not sure, if it survived or not - but I can change every time to Claws Mail or Sylpheed with installed ImportExporterTools in Seamonkey (or Thunderbird or FossaMail), because they also support .mbox-Files. Also Simplemail can export messages to .mbox files.
SeaMonkey is anything but lightweight - it is as heavy as Firefox because it uses the same back-end.
Using both browser for a long time Seamonkey is using much less memory (with Linux) then Firefox with a running Thunderbird. It is more lightweight, consume less memory and has more privacy - this is also the reason while the program is shipped with the lightweight Ubuntu edition LXLE (an alternative to Lubuntu which I use (http://www.lxle.net/)). A lot of function of Firefox are not built-in in Seamonkey (e. g. Pocket, System-addons, Telemetry, no Australis, the sidebar and the manage of the "library" is different, shipping of updates). Firefox is only the background.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande