Suggestion: Taskbar icon change for new email notifications

Development discussions for FossaMail
KNTRO

Suggestion: Taskbar icon change for new email notifications

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-05-12, 02:50

Hi there,

I've been playing a while with the Opera Mail email client and I've got to confess it: I felt in love with it. :oops:

Seriously, it's a fantastic email client:
  • A few options to start and use, which makes it ideal for those webmail users who are still "afraid" of using standalone email clients
  • Really, really lightweight, not more than around 30 MB in RAM
  • And last but not least, it's as simple as ****, don't ya believe me? Take a look at this screenshot! No need to remove any clutter! :thumbup:
Now that Moonchild Productions has in mind to create another web browser, I'd love to see a mini FossaMail email client, like Opera Mail, with fewer options and a very clear GUI, and easy on resources needs.

For the time being, I'd like to suggest a feature from Opera Mail to be included in FossaMail. When someone using Opera Mail receives a new email, the icon at the taskbar changes, with a small envelope over the Opera Mail icon:
Once the message is read, it switches back to its original icon.

I think this is a smart idea of call my visual attention smoothly about a new email. I'm not talking of add a small envelope to FossaMail icon, you could also think of changing the FossaMail icon's color o adding a green exclamation sign, or a golden star, or something else.

What do you people think about this?

Regards.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Suggestion: Taskbar icon change for new email notifications

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-05-12, 03:02

I got to admit that it would awesome to have a small email client in Pale Moon. I use Thunderbird 12 as I can't stand all the extra junk they put in the later ones.

I can't use Fossa Mail because I have Windows XP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-12, 10:19

Fossamail already has a new e-mail icon notification in the system tray (although it may get automatically hidden by Windows trying to be "helpful")...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-05-12, 19:02

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I use Thunderbird 12 as I can't stand all the extra junk they put in the later ones.

I can't use Fossa Mail because I have Windows XP.
I'm not sure if Opera Mail is still compatible with Windows XP. If it is, you definitely should give it a shot.
Moonchild wrote:Fossamail already has a new e-mail icon notification in the system tray
True.
Moonchild wrote:(although it may get automatically hidden by Windows trying to be "helpful")...
This is true too. And that's why I'm thinking this taskbar icon changing thing would be nice, because Windows could hide the system tray icon but the one at the taskbar will remain changed until the message(s) is/are read.

Even more: the FossaMail taskbar icon could add (1), (2), (3)(9), (10) & (+10) indicating the unread, new messages.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-13, 01:28

A task bar icon is not supposed to be a dynamic status icon, though. That's not what application icons in the task bar are for. This is exactly why we have the system tray :P (it's called the "notification area" for a reason!)

In addition, because it's not designed to be changed on the fly, implementing this may be tricky and become ambiguous -- think of e.g. how this is supposed to be done if you have multiple windows open; which one should get a change?...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite