Suggestion: remove quotes from sender

Development discussions for FossaMail
KNTRO

Suggestion: remove quotes from sender

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-04-26, 15:04

For some reason, FossaMail adds quotation marks ["] at the beginning and at the end of the Sender field.

So, if your name is, let's say, Mark Straver, FossaMail will display sender's name as "Mark Straver".

Thunderbird doesn't do this.

Terryphi

Re: Suggestion: remove quotes from sender

Unread post by Terryphi » 2016-04-26, 15:53

For me Fossamail does not usually add quotes around the sender. I have seen it rarely but suspect it is something to do with the sender's email provider or client.
LATER:
A Duckduckgo search for "email quotes around sender" suggests that this has been noticed in Thunderbird for years and various explanations have been offered for the cause. Here is one:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1060627

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-04-26, 16:34

Hmph… This is weird.

I have a Gmail account in Mozilla Thunderbird and another in FossaMail. Thunderbird doesn't add quotes, while FossaMail does.

I've sent some testing emails —entering the addresses manually— and got those results again. I will keep on researching.
Terryphi wrote:A Duckduckgo search for "email quotes around sender" suggests that this has been noticed in Thunderbird for years and various explanations have been offered for the cause. Here is one:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1060627
EDITED

Hi Terryphi,

Thanks for your help, but that doesn't apply to my case.

What I say is:
Thunderbird: Mark Straver <mark@example.org>
Fossamail: "Mark Straver" <mark@example.org>

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-05-04, 23:48

I looked up in my FM 25.2.1 and can't find those quotes anywhere, except in a send field of one single mail (and for one other Recipient in the mail List View).
My first guess was it's perhaps a mark, if the sender isn't in the adress book, but this was wrong.

Maybe an add-on thing?

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-05-05, 21:30

Hi loxodont,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think this thing is related to any add-on, since I'm using 4 different email accounts in FossaMail right now, and only the Gmail account is the one with quotation marks. But I'm beginning to think that this was an issue with Gmail, because I added an email account —not Gmail's— to FossaMail yesterday and no quotes is displayed in the Sender field.

So, after all, I think this "suggestion" is not valid since it's no related to FossaMail actually.