Full colored emojis in FossaMail

Development discussions for FossaMail
KNTRO

Full colored emojis in FossaMail

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-04-18, 13:40

Is there any chance to have colored emojis in FossaMail?

Earlybird [Thunderbird] 47.0a2 already shows full colored emojis.

Earlybird 47.0 alpha 2

FossaMail 25.2.1

EDITED:
Hmph… I think I've found the answer:
Moonchild wrote:Fonts are fonts. Their color should be determined by font formatting, not the font itself. Fonts are made up of glyphs. Glyphs are, by definition and purpose, monochrome. If you want to use vector fonts in multiple colors, then what you want is a vector image format.
So the answer to my suggestion will likely be: No, emojis will be monochrome in FossaMail.
Last edited by KNTRO on 2016-04-18, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Full colored emojis in FossaMail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-19, 08:33

How this is rendered depends on the back-end (i.e.: Pale Moon). We do have svg/opentype support now, but not CPAL/COLR (a simpler coloring method) yet.
So it depends on:
  1. What exactly is used to make color emoticons.
  2. What font is used and if it is embedded as a font.
  3. Whether or not the surrounding html code prescribes a color, and if so, how.
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... issues/303
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-04-19, 08:46

Oh, I understand. So, whenever CPAL/COLR be implemented in Pale Moon, then some time later it may be implemented in FossaMail as well.

I know this is a minor, low demand feature request, but it's always good to know that this is, in fact, a pending item in future development of the back end.

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2016-07-20, 16:56

Might be related:

LapisLegit! demonstrates fun with OpenType fonts embedding SVG gimmicks. :crazy:

So far, the original Mozilla family (Firefox browser, and as you report, Thunderbird mail too) seems to be the only web browser software supporting it already surprisingly well. :o

But to be true ... how urgently do we need it, how many are able to use it in any valuable way? Let's stay curious. 8-)

It also reveals some flaws in general SVG support.
Fun and success!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-07-20, 17:14

Hi there!

Thanks for that link.

Now…
LigH1L wrote:how urgently do we need it
Not urgent at all.
LigH1L wrote:how many are able to use it in any valuable way?
What's a valuable way to begin with? Every emoji user will use them in different ways. We can't measure it, it makes no sense. Most people probably doesn't use emojis nowadays, but that doesn't mean emoji compatibility is not important.

So…

— Is it important that FossaMail be compatible with emoji characters?
— Yes, it is, in my opinion.

— Is it urgent that FossaMail be compatible with emoji characters?
— I don't think so. But eventually it must be compatible, better sooner than latter. ;)

Do Pale Moon / FossaMail want to be superior to Firefox / Thunderbird, respectively? Well, here you have another reason to add: emoji compatibility.

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2016-07-21, 06:04

I'd like to put it more general, and believe that Moonchild will be interested in supporting useful technologies as completely as possible. And may "useful" be already sparing some bandwidth, in an era where websites get carelessly bloated (already with advertizing junk that won't pay anymore, just annoy). SVG has some efficiency potential over pixel images (including scalability on high-res displays and readability with sub-pixel AA). Using them inside fonts adds elegance.
Fun and success!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-21, 08:57

LigH1L wrote:Using them inside fonts adds elegance.
I don't understand this. Can you please explain how using SVG-based glyphs in fonts adds elegance? It's all vector already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite