FossaMail, Paws, and FossaNotice

Development discussions for FossaMail
Ecocomputing

FossaMail, Paws, and FossaNotice

Unread post by Ecocomputing » 2015-11-10, 10:52

I just wanted to mention a suggestion regarding the possible changing of FossaMail to a version of conky that is more lightweight. The idea I had was that, for linux, thunderbird is just a plain heavy program to use in comparison to other programs (like Claws), and so even a lighterweight version of thunderbird (FossaMail) will still be heavy in comparison to Claws. For windows, FossaMail will still have its purpose, so that won't need to be altered, but for linux, I would suggest changing to use to Claws instead as the base and rework that program instead. The main thing I never liked on Claws was the name and intro image (the dinosaur claw). Also, the menu buttons are placed slightly different compared to news clients most people have had experience with prior to using Claws (such as Outlook express, Thunderbird, ...) so changing that might also be valuable. You could hence make a version of Claws that adresses this, for example by renaming it to "Paws" and changing the loading image into a bear paw, lion paw, ...

Another thing you could do (if you want to preserve the Fossa name and images and still use that in Linux) could be the making of a lighter-weight version of Conky. All ready there are quite a few people switching to xmobar, screenlets, GKrellM, Dockapps for this reason. You could call that something like "FossaNotice", "FossaAlert" or "Fossalert". The link here is that I assume you used the fossa image out of correlation to a dog (as in a dog bringing in the paper from the mailbox into the house in the morning), and conky can be used just the same way (to display all important news upon starting the pc in the morning. Actually, that has been partly the intent with the efficiency improvement scripts I wrote for Conky (see https://github.com/linuxscripts/Linuxef ... ndConky.sh )

Just a thought.

squarefractal

Re: FossaMail, Paws, and FossaNotice

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-11-10, 13:13

I don't think anyone in the development team would like to throw out existing code and start working modifications to an entirely different application just because you don't like the branding and UI of another product ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FossaMail, Paws, and FossaNotice

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-10, 15:20

What you're suggesting is taking on forking of a completely different mail client. One that is Linux-only, has no common ground with Mozilla code, won't be using our Pale Moon back-end, and is, in all respects, completely unrelated to FossaMail, Thunderbird, and what we are doing here.

I suggest you toss this idea up on Linux dev boards, maybe someone there is interested in making this their project. Heck, you could even give it a go yourself and make private builds with changes, and publish them if you think it would benefit the greater good of the Linux community.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite