Profile Question

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Sarris

Profile Question

Unread post by Sarris » 2014-01-03, 15:42

Greetings;

First let me say again that FossaMail is working great without issue.

That being said, in AppData/Roaming there is a FossaMail mail folder with a profile, but in Application Data there is no FossaMail folder, but there is a Thunderbird folder with a different profile. If I try to delete the Thunderbird Application Data folder, FM reverts to defaults. If I rename the folder FM, next time FM is opened, it recreates the TB Application Data folder and sets all to default.

The contents of the folders are the same with the exception of a Search Plugins folder in AppData/Roaming/FossaMail.

Is this anything I should be concerned with?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Profile Question

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-03, 16:27

It's possible that there is a hardcoded check left somewhere in the Thunderbird source code for an existing Thunderbird profile folder. If you remove the entire folder, it's also possible that it re-initializes the profile because it's "not found". I'll have a look and see if I can find what might be going on there. Overall, though, this should be completely harmless; the actual profile is always the one from FossaMail, and I gather that if not used otherwise, the Thunderbird one will just be an empty folder.

"Application Data", by the way, is simply a link to AppData/Roaming, so the contents of it should be exactly the same. If not, then your link may be incorrect somehow.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sarris

Unread post by Sarris » 2014-01-03, 16:46

If I delete the contents of the Application Data TB folder, FM resets to defaults and creates a folder called Mail in the Application Data TB folder, so something is still connecting the two folders.

As a side note, I also do not have a Application Data/Moonchild Productions folder, just the one in AppData.

I'll not mess with it anymore until you have a chance to look at it further.

Thanks for checking it out.

Sarris

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-04, 01:44

I already said that it's likely the check "if the profile exists" is done on the TB folder and if that folder (erroneously with the name Thunderbird) is not found, it will re-initialize your profile. So if the check is made for the wrong folder, removing that folder will flag it as "no profile exists".
It doesn't mean that the folders are connected, it just means that the program apparently checks -somewhere- for the folder Thunderbird instead of the rebranded application name. It's a bug in the Thunderbird code. Not the first "branding hell" bug and probably not the last ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sarris

Unread post by Sarris » 2014-01-04, 02:10

Gotcha.

Thanks